Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times

Advertisements

Some people come on here complaining that there's a thread about Durham having a violent reputation, and acting all defensive about it because there's not a thread for all the drive by's in Cary or Apex or whatever. Start your own thread about how "Is Cary always like this" or "Is North Raleigh always like this." See if you can find victims and crime interviews TV clips about how residents are up in arms. Not gonna happen, not gonna find that kind of thing like you will in Durham, but that's the better solution than complaining about whoever started the one to ask about Durham.

But to be honest, complaining about a Durham having crime is like moving into a house next to RDU and complaining about the airplane noise. It comes with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times
Moderator, please close this or retitle this post "m378, pitroad and n24scube Beat a Dead Horse of What They Hate About Durham."

Old 08-23-2019, 06:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Moderator, please close this or retitle this post "m378, pitroad and n24scube Beat a Dead Horse of What They Hate About Durham."
You haven't read the whole thread because I clearly stated my unhappiness with crime in the Triangle in general, even including places like Cary. I worry about crime in this area and don't like when people use the "crime is everywhere" excuse. The Triangle isn't getting smaller and now's the time to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control as has happened historically in growing metros across the country.

Regardless, just because some people don't agree on an online forum, doesn't mean a thread should be closed.

Last edited by m378; 08-23-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM

141 posts, read 140,824 times
Apparently I started a "troll thread" because people are uncomfortable talking about an out of control violent crime issue in Durham.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...234173622.html

This report was put out by the city. From 2016 - 2018 there were 2,051 reported shootings. 600+ people shot.

It's got so bad that city leaders are calling for a state of emergency:

https://abc11.com/state-of-emergency...illed/5479795/

Then it was announced that the FBI, ATF, and DEA are coming to town to deal with the violence:

https://abc11.com/durham-mayor-on-gu...t-act/5486121/

The facts are there. The Feds are called in for reinforcements. But there will still people providing burying their head in the sand and calling people trolls or racists while children are killed. Despicable.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Today: https://www.wral.com/suspect-in-cust...ting/18587653/

Another shooting at that motel 2 weeks ago.

Just for clarity, this is southern Durham not far from Southpoint and RTP

Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM

319 posts, read 255,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
Yeah, I second the request to close it.

"inner city Durham" LOL. First of all, Durham doesn't have an "inner city". The downtown core is too small for it. And I'd say the same of all the Triangle cities. Altogether it's a nice metro area, but individually they're tiny cities. Second, that comment a couple pages ago that literally said "the daily horror of living there" as if this were a war zone, give me a break!

It's just past midnight, and I literally just came in from taking my dogs out. Literally went out in my pajamas and didn't bother to lock my door! I've been walking on the trails through this city, going to parks, stores, restaurants, etc. The worst thing that has happened to me since I moved here in July was getting catcalled by some guy on 9th street, which unfortunately could've happened in any city, suburb, rural area, restaurant, store, bus, store, and workplace on this planet.

Anyway, I'm 100% comfortable calling SEVERAL of the posts on this thread racist. Barely even veiled racism tbh. It's noxious enough that I too suspect this is a troll thread.
I'm curious as to which specific posts have you identified to be racist.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 PM

185 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
Some people come on here complaining that there's a thread about Durham having a violent reputation, and acting all defensive about it because there's not a thread for all the drive by's in Cary or Apex or whatever. Start your own thread about how "Is Cary always like this" or "Is North Raleigh always like this." See if you can find victims and crime interviews TV clips about how residents are up in arms. Not gonna happen, not gonna find that kind of thing like you will in Durham, but that's the better solution than complaining about whoever started the one to ask about Durham.

But to be honest, complaining about a Durham having crime is like moving into a house next to RDU and complaining about the airplane noise. It comes with the territory.
But, I do see an abnormal high amount of new stories about pedophilia in Cary. I think Cary has an issue with this crime and it's probably underreported because it's a harder crime to detect. And it always seem to be a certain demographic. You want to take a guess of that demographic?

Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
The thread served its purpose: the racists have been outted.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM

185 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Apparently I started a "troll thread" because people are uncomfortable talking about an out of control violent crime issue in Durham.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...234173622.html

This report was put out by the city. From 2016 - 2018 there were 2,051 reported shootings. 600+ people shot.

It's got so bad that city leaders are calling for a state of emergency:

https://abc11.com/state-of-emergency...illed/5479795/

Then it was announced that the FBI, ATF, and DEA are coming to town to deal with the violence:

https://abc11.com/durham-mayor-on-gu...t-act/5486121/

The facts are there. The Feds are called in for reinforcements. But there will still people providing burying their head in the sand and calling people trolls or racists while children are killed. Despicable.
Haven't you moved already? You seem to pop-up when ever this complaint driven thread gets restarted. I hope so, so we don't have to hear your never ending drivel about crime in Durham.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:52 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Today: https://www.wral.com/suspect-in-cust...ting/18587653/

Another shooting at that motel 2 weeks ago.

Just for clarity, this is southern Durham not far from Southpoint and RTP

Yup, but nobody cares about the proximity to RTP. But, there have been 2 violent crime shootings at this location. This is exactly near the Durham/Wake County border, where Durham borders West Cary. The first west Cary neighborhoods are less than 4 miles from these crimes.

These are the types of criminals that drive a little further south and look at opportunities to burglarize west Cary homes and cars. So yes, this is why west Cary residents always bring up crime. They are not used to this level of crime - it may happen 4 miles from where they live but it has been creeping up on exactly where they live. And you cannot blame anyone for wanting to live in a safe "west Cary" area and you have to deal with criminals traveling from nearby towns for an opportunity to make some criminal money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary