Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:24 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Not terribly surprising. I know a couple of Boston guys and they say that Boston sports radio guys are like that, and to be fair they're like that in other cities too. It's more of a train-wreck shock-jock angle they play. Still though, Chip was asked by that station to give an interview so it's not like some random Canes fan called in. It's a dick move by those guys, Chip knows his stuff.

And reading that article, yeah I remember Dan Shaughnessy calling Raleigh residents "uneducated goobers" as I seem to remember he phrased it. Kind of ironic considering half of Boston lives in Raleigh, as well as half of Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philadelphia, California, etc. Also ironic considering that Raleigh (and Durham for that matter) have sometimes ranked higher than Boston for educated residents on those click-bait sites. But of course to a lot of those guys Raleigh might as well be downtown 1960's rural Alabama.

It's a big reason why I have a hard time rooting for NHL teams like Boston. I don't hate the teams themselves but the fans and the media guys are incredibly ignorant and arrogant about Hockey and Hockey fans in the South. Obviously not all of them are like this but the ones who are, are quite vocal about their opinions.
Between Shaunessy (CHB), Ron Borges (The Plagerizer), and basically the entire Globe Staff since Dr. Creepy bought it, the sports media in Boston is awful.

And that’s ignoring the non print guys and gals there on the airwaves.

And the fans are in many spots insufferable (and I say that as a fan of all the teams there except for the Celtics)

EDIT TO ADD - For further proof how bad the sports media is, Felger and Mazz are the after drive guys on a radio station that has rights to the Pats, Bs and Celts...their producer basically all but admitted a couple of years ago on twitter that the call screeners are asked to filter out “intelligent callers” to ensure only the yahoos get through so the hosts can call them fanboys and delusional...thus making the hosts, who troll the teams openly (especially the Pats) seem like the only ones with a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
The story continues :

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-ne...urricanes.html

Including this gem:
"You are not the south you are a mound of s*** that I have to fly through to get to Knoxville" https://t.co/gaMVkON8fZ

Apparently he doesn't travel much either ...:-)

Frank

Old 05-13-2019, 05:35 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
This all would be a lot more fun if the Canes were up 2-0, or even split the first two games in Boston.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This all would be a lot more fun if the Canes were up 2-0, or even split the first two games in Boston.
Yep, if Carolina could somehow pull this thing off and win the series Canes fans could really have some fun with that dude. Going to be tough though. Next three games in Raleigh?

Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Yep, if Carolina could somehow pull this thing off and win the series Canes fans could really have some fun with that dude. Going to be tough though. Next three games in Raleigh?

I already mailed a friendly gag package to Don Cherry.
This guy would prompt me to elevate my game, but I need 4 wins.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Remaining games are

2-1-1-1

Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:

I already mailed a friendly gag package to Don Cherry.
This guy would prompt me to elevate my game, but I need 4 wins.
Ha take it easy on Grapes.

He has a soft spot for the Bruins because Sinden took a chance on him as a coach back in the 70s when no other pro team would.

You should definitely send Fred Doucher a care package.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ha take it easy on Grapes.

He has a soft spot for the Bruins because Sinden took a chance on him as a coach back in the 70s when no other pro team would.

You should definitely send Fred Doucher a care package.
I did say "friendly."
Sent him:
1 "Bunch of Jerks" rally towel from Round 2, Game 3.
2 soda JERKS! paper hats.
2 personally autographed personal photos.
A nice humorous letter.

I read up on Don before sending it, and concluded that he is colorful to say the least, but also one of the good guys.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I did say "friendly."
Sent him:
1 "Bunch of Jerks" rally towel from Round 2, Game 3.
2 soda JERKS! paper hats.
2 personally autographed personal photos.
A nice humorous letter.

I read up on Don before sending it, and concluded that he is colorful to say the least, but also one of the good guys.
That's awesome.

He's more colorful than the suits he wears.

See if you can find the interview with him after the '78 SCF when the Bruins got called for too many men on the ice and the Canadiens put the series away on the subsequent power play.

If I my memory serves me right, he responds to a hypothetical from a reporter with "Ya and if my Aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle".

Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
The story continues :

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-ne...urricanes.html

Including this gem:
"You are not the south you are a mound of s*** that I have to fly through to get to Knoxville" https://t.co/gaMVkON8fZ

Apparently he doesn't travel much either ...:-)

Frank
He's got some issues. It's just a damn game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary