Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 06:51 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I can laugh about it now, because in the end we really couldn't be happier about where we are (or maybe we could but we just don't know it ). But it was always something that seemed "odd".

Ironically, she ended up being the agent for our friends who were already here, when they started looking. They found a really nice house on the Franklin County side of WF. Her interaction with them was completely different than us.

My buddy even quipped at the time "it almost seems like shes mad at us for not looking in Heritage".

She was a sweet person, and very professional, even admitting I had the "questions" that I did. Certainly better than the seller's agent, who also apparently wins awards, and I wouldn't hire her to screw in a light bulb.
Awards don't mean crap, particularly when they are eagerly pursued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
All good points. #2 resonates with me on a professional level for sure. I would maybe clarify my verbiage a bit.

We weren't disregarding houses without a fence or where the presence of one was unknown (bad data). We looked at many who didn't have one.

It was on the list of things a person/couple puts together for things they are hoping to get in their next house; i.e. "must have" is probably a little strong.

I guess if I am being completely literal, the only really must have were 4 or more bedrooms, 3 full baths and an upstairs master.

The house we bought had none of the "things we preferred"; light kitchen, fence, office et al.

It struck me, because I do see it posted by people, and we certainly hear it everyday - something the general consumer either thinks is a "must have" or "oh, I hate that!" when it's an easily addressed item.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

It struck me, because I do see it posted by people, and we certainly hear it everyday - something the general consumer either thinks is a "must have" or "oh, I hate that!" when it's an easily addressed item.
Ya I could see how the presence of the fence or not is closer to paint colors than it is something structurally with the home on the scale of "things you could change"

Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I don't get why Realtors "steer" folks to their own areas of comfort.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I can laugh about it now, because in the end we really couldn't be happier about where we are (or maybe we could but we just don't know it ). But it was always something that seemed "odd".

Ironically, she ended up being the agent for our friends who were already here, when they started looking. They found a really nice house on the Franklin County side of WF. Her interaction with them was completely different than us.

My buddy even quipped at the time "it almost seems like shes mad at us for not looking in Heritage".

She was a sweet person, and very professional, even admitting I had the "questions" that I did. Certainly better than the seller's agent, who also apparently wins awards, and I wouldn't hire her to screw in a light bulb.

GVOR...
Did you buy a new construction home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I don't get why Realtors "steer" folks to their own areas of comfort.

1. New construction repeat sales spiffs. Higher commissions for repeated sales. Cruises. Bonuses. Personal interest over client service.

2. To claim to be tops in the neighborhood, neighborhood expert, etc, for personal marketing purposes.

3. Lazy. Don't want to go far from the opportunities that 1 and 2 develop.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
GVOR...

1. New construction repeat sales spiffs. Higher commissions for repeated sales. Cruises. Bonuses. Personal interest over client service.

2. To claim to be tops in the neighborhood, neighborhood expert, etc, for personal marketing purposes.

No Mike. Our home was built in 2007.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
GVOR...

Quote:
No Mike. Our home was built in 2007.

You would appear to have been steered for 2 and/or 3, then.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 16,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You won't regret not renting........

Some people ALWAYS take the grass is greener approach no matter what, even down to coveting what the other people at the table ordered for dinner. If you're like that, understand it about yourself and adjust. If you're not like that you will likely be happy with the choice you end up making. As I said before, this area is about 95% good-to-great areas and about 5% you-don't-want-to-live-there. It's not that complicated here.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

We are pretty laidback for the most part. We are not super nitpicking and typically It’s not that difficult to make us happy. It’s nice to know our plans are not that far out there and others have successfully done the same thing.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The risk is that you may not really care for the property upon seeing it, but you should be able to visit and view it during your due diligence period.
And, as long as you're not paying an exorbitantly unjustifiable price, or buying a property with incurable deficiencies, you should be able to re-sell at some point without terrible financial injury. If you were in the $800,000+ range, that would be less likely.
I know that is certainly a risk but sometimes you just have to live life on the edge! seriously though, I trust that my husband would make a good decision and I would definitely view it during the due diligence period. And like you stated, if I hated the property we could always resell a few years down the line.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You may have answered, but are you guys planning a look see down here?

Long story short, you can do a lot from a far and with the help of a local to help narrow down some things, shouldnt have a ton of trouble in finding something you love. If you can make it down here for a visit even better.

I mean we went from "hey we're moving to Denver, but can't get there this weekend, lets go see Larry and Jen in Raleigh" to putting an offer on the nicest house I may ever own in 4 weeks and 2 days and closed 4 weeks later.
Yes I am planning a look see as soon as my husband gets a start date. Ideally I would love to do what you did! Great tip! Sounds extremely like an exciting world wind; if the opportunity becomes possible I certainly try to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary