Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM

183 posts, read 671,675 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to possibly purchase a new Centex Home in the Mebane / Orange County area, and are curious as to experiences working with the pricing with Centex. Everything I've read says to have a buyer agent, which we plan to do, but I'm just curious as to people's experiences on getting them to come down on their price. We're looking at homes for them that are listing in the $180s. I know that other neighborhoods in the area are coming way down on their pricing, just curious as to Centex in particular. This would be in one of their tract neighborhoods, if that helps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
Default Centex Homes

We purchased a Centex home last fall, and we are very happy with our home. Centex customer care is outstanding, and they have good follow-up to make sure any and all issues have been resolved.

Our issues have been very minor. We had a couple of items on our 90 day follow-up, and those were taken care of right away. Generally, any questions we have are answered fairly promptly.

As for pricing, here's where you should work with your buyer's agent. The market is slow for many builders right now, and if Centex is sitting on inventory in the development you are interested in, they may be very willing and eager to negotiate in order to close the sale.

I could not believe how easy our purchase process was. We purchased existing inventory, and everything was pretty much smooth sailing. We hired an inspector, who commented on the well-built home. The very minor items he noted were quickly taken care of by Centex.

Good luck. Feel free to post additional questions, as there are several of us on the forum that have purchased Centex homes.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
I cannot comment on dealing with them from a negotiating status, but as a home inspector they are my favorite tract builder. They consistently build a good product, and when there is a problem, their customer service is second to none. They definitely make my job easier.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:10 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
My wife and I are looking to possibly purchase a new Centex Home in the Mebane / Orange County area, and are curious as to experiences working with the pricing with Centex. Everything I've read says to have a buyer agent, which we plan to do, but I'm just curious as to people's experiences on getting them to come down on their price. We're looking at homes for them that are listing in the $180s. I know that other neighborhoods in the area are coming way down on their pricing, just curious as to Centex in particular. This would be in one of their tract neighborhoods, if that helps. Thanks!
I think I know the agent in the neighborhood you are referring to. She's experienced at her job and a lovely person. As for Centex, like all large builders in the country, the business climate is extremely challenging. Incentives for you to buy are likely to be generous.

Do find out how good sales are to be sure that this company are going to complete the community you are looking at. I am reading/hearing many stories of half built communities that tract builders are walking away from, or are selling lots to other builders. Yes, positive spinners out there, in the triangle too.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that I can get them to come off the price maybe in the 15K - 20K range, especially since a nearby neighborhood is dropping their home prices even more drastrically. We like this neighborhood and it is convenient to RTP for us. I also hear great things about Centex so I think its the way to go. Thank you again!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
The thing about Collington Farms is that it spans over both Orange and Alamance county, so if you want to be in one or the other, you have to be careful which street you are on! Also, it's so close to the interstate that I worried about noise. We looked there, but wanted to be in Orange county and not on the side by the interstate, but they couldn't accommodate us at that time. We ended up in Ashbury, which is very close by, and all in Orange county. In Ashbury, there are 3 builders, and the Cimmaron homes are in your price range. The Olde South homes may start around there too in this market. Just in case you are interested.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion on Ashbury; we checked it out online and are going to make a trip out there to take a look. Any other suggestions for neighborhoods with homes in the $170s-180s are welcome!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 AM

108 posts, read 559,740 times
We bought a Centex house in the Wynngate community in Creedmoor. A lot of their incentives were tied to using their lendor, CTX Mortgage, but our agent was still able to negotiate a bit more. We did not mind using their lendor as they were very competitive and easy to work with. As far as pricing, its all about comps...if your agent does their research right, you will most likely get more off.

We love our house and Centex customer service is definitely the best and the houses are built well...I would definitely recommend them.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
A couple my husband and I socialize with recently bought in the Centex Neighborhood you are looking at, Collington's Farm and they are very, very happy. They looked at many other neighborhoods in the area and did a lot of research before buying and concluded that this community gave them the most bang for their buck. They also said Centex has the best warranty of all the other builders in the area.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 27,221 times
We have also been looking at this neighborhood and I'm happy to hear the great reputation that Centex has here. We love the neighborhood and now just have to decide between the Alamance/Orange county side for schools. The agents there were so helpful when we were speaking with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary