Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
why just the other day, I went to the Flying Biscuit in Cameron Village with my teenage daughter. There were 4 or 5 small tables right out in the open - some seated 2, some seated 4. So why did they walk us through the bar and back to a booth that would easily accomodate 4? I was about ready to complain, because I had to slide and reach over for the condiments.
The audacity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 02:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
The audacity!
They stuck me in the back once too. Must have been my Mohawk

Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
In the DC area, there are tons of new openings. In my neighborhood, there is a lot of development. New restaurants open all the time. What I have learned is, wait at least a month or two for all the kinks to be worked out and management and staff have a chance to gel. If you try to go opening night or within a few weeks of opening, you should expect hiccups and even mediocre service.

Happens all the time to us. Then we go back after a few months and it is completely different. It also allows the hype to wear off and getting a table easier.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Thanks to everyone who suggested Saltwater Seafood on Capital ITB Raleigh as solid fishmonger (Corgi, Pierre, Cat...). I learned a lot today. They are blood related to Earps Seafood south of Downtown Raleigh (Mike Earp is the proprietor at Saltwater), and share the same, daily, fresh seafood wholesale trucks from the coast. It is a true family small business. They are super friendly and down to earth. They have literally the freshest selection you will find in the area, and a deep stock of fresh/frozen specialties as well. Looking for hard to find (these days) fresh grouper? They have it. And guess why it’s increasingly harder to find ( other than overfishing...)... the heat has kept them from feeding, instead of just seeking cooler waters further out. I paid market price, and knew exactly the where and why thanks to Mike. I also picked up some fresh frozen soft shell crabs and alligator tail for this next week (my folks gifted me a small deep frier from Aldi, and I’m itching to try it out.)

Tonight I made a buttery grilled Grouper with fresh garden majoram, Italian parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon, served over a tomato basil parsley orzo, with fresh steamed broccoli. It was delicious. DIY can work well with some time and planning, and I am fortunate to have some good wine to pair with it.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Tonight I made a buttery grilled Grouper with fresh garden majoram, Italian parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon, served over a tomato basil parsley orzo, with fresh steamed broccoli. It was delicious. DIY can work well with some time and planning, and I am fortunate to have some good wine to pair with it.
That sounds delicious.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Thanks to everyone who suggested Saltwater Seafood on Capital ITB Raleigh as solid fishmonger (Corgi, Pierre, Cat...). I learned a lot today. They are blood related to Earps Seafood south of Downtown Raleigh (Mike Earp is the proprietor at Saltwater), and share the same, daily, fresh seafood wholesale trucks from the coast. It is a true family small business. They are super friendly and down to earth. They have literally the freshest selection you will find in the area, and a deep stock of fresh/frozen specialties as well. Looking for hard to find (these days) fresh grouper? They have it. And guess why it’s increasingly harder to find ( other than overfishing...)... the heat has kept them from feeding, instead of just seeking cooler waters further out. I paid market price, and knew exactly the where and why thanks to Mike. I also picked up some fresh frozen soft shell crabs and alligator tail for this next week (my folks gifted me a small deep frier from Aldi, and I’m itching to try it out.)

That's great. But can you come to my house????

Old 07-19-2019, 01:38 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
When I first visited Saltwater Seafood, I noticed a couple of trucks outside with Earp's logos. I asked the owner/manager if there was any relation to the Earp's market and he quickly said no, that they were totally separate companies. I picked up a business card and the owner was Earp. Sounds as if there may be some family disagreement? Either way, both places are really good.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
When I first visited Saltwater Seafood, I noticed a couple of trucks outside with Earp's logos. I asked the owner/manager if there was any relation to the Earp's market and he quickly said no, that they were totally separate companies. I picked up a business card and the owner was Earp. Sounds as if there may be some family disagreement? Either way, both places are really good.
Maybe like the Mami Nora / Alpaca split???

Old 07-19-2019, 02:02 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Yeah, Z, I thought about that.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
This thread has made me crave scallops... gotta go get some dry-packed ones from Saltwater and make them at home, sooooo good!!! nom nom nom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary