Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 04:10 AM

41 posts, read 79,423 times

Advertisements

We are interested in relocating to Bedford as our #1 choice and Falls River as our #2 choice. Can anyone suggest any similar neighborhoods such as these two developments that are within the same vicinity?

Also, are there any cons/disadvantages to living in either of these two communities or general area?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Not that it necessarily matters - and maybe it's just my perspective - but I always think of the Bedford Community as part of Wake Forest rather than Raleigh.

Yes, I know that there are homes in Bedford that are, in fact, in the city of Raleigh. But I've no idea of the statistical breakdown.

That said, the only 'disadvantage* that comes to mind is the potential commute time. Obviously, it's totally dependent on where your current employer is located. But these days, if I were still working, I'd be cognizant of the probability of changing employers.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:18 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Bedford is just the section of Falls River with a higher price point, and both are securely in Raleigh. It’s a couple miles north to the other side of Capital that Wake Forest begins.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,844 times
Both Bedford and Falls River are beautiful communities (and both are in Raleigh not Wake Forest as someone suggested).

The other nearest Master Planned Communities that come to mind are Wakefield and then maybe Heritage Wake Forest (but that is a bit further away). Out of those two I would pick Heritage over Wakefield even with the extra commute. However if it were between Bedford and Heritage I would pick Bedford because Wake Forest has grown so much and the traffic over by Rogers Rd is a nightmare. But if you don't have to commute (retired or work from home office) then it would just come down to which one has the home that suits the need.

Some other things to note....Bedford's HOA dues include the pools the others do not. I don't know if Falls River has a HOA Clubhouse with numerous activities like Bedford's does so that may be something else to look into.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Both Bedford and Falls River are beautiful communities (and both are in Raleigh not Wake Forest as someone suggested).

The other nearest Master Planned Communities that come to mind are Wakefield and then maybe Heritage Wake Forest (but that is a bit further away). Out of those two I would pick Heritage over Wakefield even with the extra commute. However if it were between Bedford and Heritage I would pick Bedford because Wake Forest has grown so much and the traffic over by Rogers Rd is a nightmare. But if you don't have to commute (retired or work from home office) then it would just come down to which one has the home that suits the need.

Some other things to note....Bedford's HOA dues include the pools the others do not. I don't know if Falls River has a HOA Clubhouse with numerous activities like Bedford's does so that may be something else to look into.
While I agree traffic needs to be addressed on Rogers Road, getting to Bedford in rush hour is no picnic, either. That Falls of Neuse/540/Durant corridor is bad, too, and Capital is Capital.

Heritage does have some advantages pver Falls River/Bedford:
1) More of a town-feel with Downtown Wake Forest so close
2) More shopping and restaurants in the area
3) Better grocery stores nearby - Publix, Harris Teeter, Lowes Food and Wegmans will all be within 5 minutes of Heritage. How many Food Lions do they need on Falls of Neuse road, anyway? Geez....
4) Bigger lots than Bedford
5) Recreation: Golf course - even if you don't play there are some nice homes with views, or at the very least it leaves the neighborhood with some green space in the middle of it. Plus there is the soccer center, the Factory and also greenway trails all over.
6) No quarry noise

Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, I know that there are homes in Bedford that are, in fact, in the city of Raleigh. But I've no idea of the statistical breakdown.
I live next to Bedford. All of the homes are within City of Raleigh corporate limits. Wake Forest doesn't start until a few miles up the road.

FWIW, It is a great area, but the morning and evening commutes on Falls Of Neuse Road can be a challenge and are worth checking out depending on where you need to drive every day.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post

Falls River has a pool. I remember that from some friends who lived there.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:39 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I live next to Bedford. All of the homes are within City of Raleigh corporate limits. Wake Forest doesn't start until a few miles up the road.

FWIW, It is a great area, but the morning and evening commutes on Falls Of Neuse Road can be a challenge and are worth checking out depending on where you need to drive every day.

My apologies. I have friends who live in Bedford. IFIC, they have said "I live in WF".

Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM

812 posts, read 831,773 times
Falls River and Bedford are gi-normous with limited access (ie none) to the north and east. The only entry/exit points are south (Durant Rd) and west (Falls of Neuse Rd). Hence, if you live in the back of the neighborhoods it can take you 5-10 minutes just to get out. Hope you don't forget that gallon of milk. No wonder everyone wants to go 40mph+ back in there and ride my a%# -though posted is 25. If you live towards the front, quick to get in and out but there is a ton of traffic passing through from people who live deeper.

I do love the "double sidewalks" though. Don't know why this is such a rarity around here . More of a standard neighborhood thing in the Midwest. Also, I'm a HUGE fan of front porches and craftsman style.....and just about all the homes here meet that criteria. If we worked in N. Raleigh or Wake Forest it would be a "go". However, we work in RTP and Raleigh (central) so a "no go". Wish they would take that neighborhood, downsize it, and put it in my location. During the holidays, it really is like a "movie set".

Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Falls River has a pool. I remember that from some friends who lived there.
The pool in Falls River is part of the Greenway Club (a private club membership). People can join it (even if they live outside of Falls River) but it is not an amenity provided under the Falls River HOA monthly dues. The two pools in Bedford along with tennis courts, volleyball courts etc are part of the $60 monthly dues. Wakefield and Heritage also have pools but you have to buy into a club membership in addition to your monthly HOA dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary