Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 4,702 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First-time poster here.

Our daughter is starting at Wake Tech this fall and is, as most 19-year-olds are, eager to move out. She does have one extremely well-behaved kitty from whom she is inseparable. **We are looking for an over-the-garage apartment, walk-out basement, guesthouse, on in-law suite-type thing since one bedroom commercial apartments are prohibitively expensive without a roommate (she would prefer to be alone at this point). This has proved EXTREMELY (understatement) difficult to locate and there are no sites that just list those types of things. She needs a bed, bath, and kitchenette.

I have searched Zillow, Trulia, and the myriad of other renting sites I find. I have looked to Wake Tech and NCSU for help but they do not list these types of things either. I have contacted Airbnb folks, thinking that taking a lower amount monthly (we were hoping for $500 per month or less) would be okay since they would know they have reliable income (with no unbooked days) and a low-maintenance guest. Plus, there would no need to cook or clean.

HOW DO I FIND THESE?

Thank you,
Katie
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Craigslist maybe? The reality is that most of these type rentals are found via friend of a friend situations.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
I hope this doesn't come off as too rude, but she should suck it up and get roommates. She's 19, and her Mom has already put way more time into this than she should have

Old 08-29-2019, 05:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Now is the wrong time to be searching. All of these rentals have been snatched up by everyone at NCSU who started classes last week. I would suggest to her that she stick it out at home for a semester, and start searching again in November when the students who aren't returning for Spring semester start to give their notice to vacate. Don't wait until January to look for a rental ... start looking early and looking daily. There may not be anything available initially, but they'll start popping up.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
"HOW DO I FIND THESE?"
essentially, you do not.
she does. she is eager.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Wow, and I get criticized for not being welcoming to first time posters.

Mike J, where are you?

Old 08-29-2019, 06:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
on my Nextdoor, $500 isn't getting you anything. Maybe down within 2 miles of WakeTech (assuming we're talking the original campus). I guess you could search for more expensive options, and then try to negotiate by prepaying a year or 2.

Is said 19 yr old making the money to pay the rent, or mom and dad are? Is she going to be working, or just going to school? What about expenses beyond tuition (mom and dad) is she going to be responsible for?

I mean, I know mine and a few others aren't what some would call "helpful" responses ... but you're describing a situation that there's not a unicorn for.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,337 times
Nextdoor most likely or a neighborhood Facebook group, but I think it’s unrealistic to find a place for $500. Even the ones I’ve seen listed are closer to $1,000. An Airbnb host makes far more than $500/mo. I agree that a roommate will be her best bet.

Also I think it’s unlikely that a family would want a 19 year old living at their house.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Having room mates at that point in life is a rite of passage lol

I would be reaaaaaaally wary of Craigslist postings. Young girl, super cheap apartment in a house, what could go wrong? If the apartment isn't super sketchy you have to question the other stuff.

I agree with the above this is more of a friend of a friend type thing.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:58 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Now is the wrong time to be searching. All of these rentals have been snatched up by everyone at NCSU who started classes last week. I would suggest to her that she stick it out at home for a semester, and start searching again in November when the students who aren't returning for Spring semester start to give their notice to vacate. Don't wait until January to look for a rental ... start looking early and looking daily. There may not be anything available initially, but they'll start popping up.

This is great advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary