Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:27 PM

132 posts, read 445,991 times

Advertisements

I was going through a detailed map of planned development for NW Cary from the town of cary.

Have a few questions

(1) Western Wake Parkway still in works or has been cancelled ?

(2) Looks like there are going to be both Mills Park elementary and middle schools right next to each other

(3) Does Hawes park qualify as a park - where you children can play, walk, jog ? any baseball/soccer fields planned there ?

(4) Looks like there is going a stonewater village shopping center at the intersection of Okelly-Chappell and Green-level-Durham. Any other shopping centers that you folks know of ?

(5) Saw plans for Amberley trailhead park in the parks/rec dept. Is this going to be in this area ?

(6) Any YMCA/Recreation Center planned for these parts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM

146 posts, read 691,277 times
For shopping:

- There will be more shopping across the street from the Stonewater village in Amberly's Town Center. I haven't seen many details on that yet, so I have no idea when that will go in. The only thing I know that is going in there is a UNC Wellness Center - basically a fitness/wellness/health center. They have one at Meadowmont now - I don't know if this one is going to be as big, but you can check theirs out to get an idea of what might go in at the Cary location: The Wellness Center at Meadowmont
- At the intersection of O'Kelly Chapel Rd and NC-55, they're going to extend O'Kelly Chapel to the other side of 55, and there will be a large shopping center there, Parkside Town Commons. KITE REALTY - PARKSIDE TOWN COMMONS They're trying to get a Target in there, possibly a movie theater, and they're aiming for shops/restaurants that should be a bit higher-end than your typical strip mall stores. They're still in the planning/approval process with Town of Cary - the website says they're aiming to open in Fall 2009. This is part of the Alston Activity Center, which will include a couple other small areas of mixed-use development. Regional Center West (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/planning/regionalcenterwest/overview.htm - broken link)
- You may already know of the Cary Park shopping center that opened a couple months ago at the intersection of Green Level to Durham Rd and Carpenter Firestation Rd. Basically, just a strip mall anchored by Harris Teeter. There will be a CVS, Wachovia, and First Citizen's Bank there as well.

Hawes Park/Tract:

I think you're referring to the Hawes Tract of land where the Mills Park elementary/middle schools are going in? (near Cary Park) They still haven't decided what they're going to do with that land, but it will be used for some type of recreation. One possibility is the Cary Aquatics Center - it is one of 2 sites being considered for that: Town of Cary: Cary Aquatics Center (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prdept/facilities/caryaquaticscenter.htm - broken link). If they don't get that, I saw a news article mentioning that Cary might be considering a YMCA for that location: Cary Working With YMCA On Municipal Pool Possibilities - News - NBC 17 (http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2008-02-29-0028.html - broken link) So, it definitely looks like they're aiming for at least a pool on that site.
There are a couple other parks planned along Green Level to Durham Rd, but we haven't seen any details on what kinds of stuff they might put in. For now, the only park in the immediate area with lots of baseball/soccer fields (and a playground, basketball, picnic areas, etc) is Thomas Brooks park (which is very nice) - right next to Highcroft, on Green Level Church Rd.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
AFAIK things are still on hold with the Western Wake Parkway (aka NC 540). They are still trying to get initial funding from the General Assembly to start work for what will be a toll road.

The Alston Activity Center mentioned above looks to be very large and should provide some nice mixed use. Sounds a lot like North Hills Mall area, but with new subdivisions, too.

With the 55 expansion done and NC 540 open, things are really started to take off in that area.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info. Let me check with town of cary on some of the things mentioned.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 PM

(sorry if this info is already known)

For western wake pkwy (I-540 extension). Looks like the next step in the timeline is the award of the construction contract by 7/2008.

North Carolina Turnpike Authority: Western Wake Parkway

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
They still need to cover the annual $20M funding gap and are trying to get the GA to award this. If that happens by that date, things will kick off. If not, it is all up in the air.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Confirmed from the NCTA folks that they are trying to secure funding for the I-540 extension thru 2 tracks - legislative funding in the spring session or private funding. They are optimistic about the chances and given the importance of this extension have gone ahead with the contract advertisement for the design-build contractors on 12/3/2007. Let us see what happens.

For the Hawes' tract where the mills park elementary and middle schools are coming - plans are for the remainder of the park to have a community center, 1 softball field and 3 multipurpose fields.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM

72 posts, read 212,761 times
Default Amberly Town Center and Roads

Hello all -

Does anyone know what is slated to go into the town center at Amberly? anchor stores or anything? I'm hoping for a better grocery store or a health food store somewhere in there.

Also, is there any plan to expand any of the roads that cut through amberly or maybe put up some Street Lights? We are building there now and everytime I go there someone almost hits me by running a stop sign or going the wrong direction in the turn arounds. I am having concerns once everything fills up as I dont generally trust everyone is going to follow exact right of way rules when it gets really busy or when they are late to work
the green level to durham and carpenter fire station road areas seem especially dangerous.

Also, is 540 going to have an exit in the new extension that comes out at Amberly? or is it going to bypass the community entirely?

Thanks for any input!!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM

300 posts, read 973,404 times
We're current residents of Village Square...there's a few town centers around Amberly:

Village Center at Amberly - That's the town center to be developed at the corner of McCrimmon Pkwy and Yates Store (across from the pool). Last I heard is they won't start development until mid 2009 at the earliest. I wouldn't count on seeing this developed any time soon.
Amberly Town Center - I believe this is the development at Yates Store and O'Kelly Chapel. Again, I don't think this is scheduled to be developed until 2009. From what I heard, this will be developed before the Village Center
Stonewater Village Center - Corner of O'Kelly Chapel and Green Level. I just saw a new sign this week saying that Bloom will be the anchor supermarket.
Cary Park Town Center - Already built and open (Harris Teeter, CVS)

Personally, I wouldn't want to be building empty shopping centers in the current economy. Cary Park Town Center still has vacant stores, so who in their right mind would build another town center down the street only to have stores sit empty?

In terms of street lights, the town of Cary recently added street lights along Carpenter Fire Station and Yates Store Rd.

540 will not have an exit near Amberly (with the exception of the current exit at NC-55). 540 will run under McCrimmon Pkwy near Panther Creek and Carpenter Fire Station (between Carpenter Animal Hospital and Cameron Village). I heard that McCrimmon Pkwy will be temporarily closed during 540 construction next year.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,637 times
What is the construction that is being done on the west side of 55 when traveling south/east, a little south of 540? It goes in deep. They have poured a huge cement wall in the front and there is a stone wall going down the road on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary