Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 24,253 times

Advertisements

hi friends,

i'd love some advice since i'm about ready to throw a dart at a US map and just move where it hits, with my husband. Here's our situation and hopefully you all have advice...

my husband and i just moved to the US 3 weeks ago from nicaragua. he doesnt really speak english yet and i am bilingual. basically, we're up for where ever in the US to live since we're both just back in the USA now, but need to get out of our friends' homes!!

california is idyllic, but too spendy. baltimore sounded perfect, but not safe enough, nyc is just not green enough and spendy too, the midwest is too cold and boring (except chicago and madison)....what do you all think? Raleigh seems great from my research thus far, but i just cant tell!!!

We do have some needs....

1. a city, not too big, but big enough such that there's ethnic diversity which ideally brings a hang-out on the porch step vibe and good restaurants. my husband is latino and misses the whole family/friend/hang out in the street thing. i do too...but we dont want the 'burbs either!

2. We need to rent for a while and would love at least a little area to put plants (dont need a full on yard or anything). so no high rise type apartments.

3. we would love a hip/ indie/ NON-walmart-y/ NON-chain restaurant-y area where we can walk or ride bikes to where we want to go, that isnt too cold or has a crazy-fast pace of life like nyc and doesnt have the crime like baltimore.

4. we'd love to hear some live music in a park or bar and not feel weird that we're a bicultural/racial couple drinking a beer. Pizza, indian and thai restaurants as well as community gardens/co-ops would be awesome too. We dont need museum or artsy-fartsy things to do, but parks, music, bars, young professional fun things to do (with a future family in mind) kind of place would be fantanstic!

5. we need cheap to free ESL classes for my honey!

6.. he'll be starting at a community college most likely (to save on money). thoughts on state residency status requirements and time it'll take for him?

7. i'll be working in the non-profit/social service-y type sector. i've been on idealist.org, etc, but havent seen alot. thoughts on just coming without a job and temping in the meantime? thoughts on temp agencies or what i could do while i'm applying for non-profit job (that dont pay crap!)

8. taxes?!!!! i've been out of the country for too long to begin to understand the whole income tax thing anymore...please help! let's say i make 30k. is that doable? at what would the take home salary actually end up being.

9. could we get by WITHOUT a car or with just one? Possible with public transport?

is raleigh the place for us? could we do it if i only make 35k/year and was supporting both of us while my husband learns english, goes to school and works PT (we have only my grad school student loan btw). are we delusional?

thanks so much for your thoughts and sorry this is so long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Come to my area in North Raleigh next to Triangle Town Center, Northridge Crossings Apts.

Very diverse, not high rise, and reasonably priced.

If you want to bicycle to places and have more local stores, Chapel Hill may fit better if it works for your budget.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
I'll just give a answer to the title of you thread: YES, you would be crazy to move here without a job.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 PM

51 posts, read 232,741 times
No, you are absolutely not crazy to consider such a move. If you have an adventurous spirit, a little money in the bank to tide you over, are willing to work and try different jobs, don't have kids to worry about yet etc, then why not go for it. The triangle is an awesome place to live and has areas that would meet most if not all of your criteria. I've moved places without a job lined up many times when I was younger and always landed on my feet. Go for it!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 PM

99 posts, read 326,235 times
I agree with Legal Alien- and I think that you would really like Carrboro.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
A few years ago, sure moving without a job first would have been ok; however with recent issues and economic problems looming on the horizon, I would strongly advise getting a job first, if you don't you'll be in the same situation as far too many others -- and the idea is to always stay ahead of the crowd.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 PM

26 posts, read 81,595 times
Quote:
5. we need cheap to free ESL classes for my honey!
Literacy Council of Wake County. Your husband will take a test (or have a conversation, or lack thereof--depending on English skills) and then will be paired up with a volunteer tutor. They'll meet once or twice a week for an hour or two at a time at mutually convenient place (library, bookstore, LCWC headquarters downtown) and work on speaking English and then reading/writing. It's a great program. The only cost will be the price to buy a book--$20 at most.

Literacy Council of Wake County | Students

Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,474 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I'll just give a answer to the title of you thread: YES, you would be crazy to move here without a job.
i moved here 7 yeas ago without a job....(did find one about 3 weeks later)

Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
wouldn't recommend moving without at least one job (unless you have a nice nest egg) sorry to be a spoil sport...that would be a little too stressful

Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 AM

567 posts, read 2,141,792 times
Non profit is tough. I moved to the Raleigh area without a job (but my husband had a job so income-wise, we were okay). I also worked in non-profits and it took me months to find a job.

Be prepared. I wouldn't recommend moving without a job either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary