Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 AM

27 posts, read 23,772 times

Advertisements

HI,
Are there any other Monarch butterfly enthusiasts on this site? I am in year two of establishing a monarch way station in my yard and I've learned it is a steep learning curve. Some problems I had this year were losing three milkweeds to a type of fungus and losing cats to 'black death'.

I'm looking for recommendations on milkweed varieties that others have found successful, as well as companion plants that the cats might use to form their chrysalis. Any other advise is welcome too!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Milkweed and Butterfly bushes are your friend.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Third year for us and having great success! Between the dill, parsley and milkweed we have hatched many Swallowtail and Monarchs this year. We have also been frequented by hummingbirds too. It's been a fun hobby this summer. Though the fight with the aphids is real. We are hoping to double the size of our gardens next year.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:50 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,874 times
I have the most success with tropical milkweed--orange-yellow or all yellow. It is not native, but I haven't had the mildew problems with it that I had this year with common milkweed and one other, and the butterflies & caterpillars like it. If you'd like some seeds, PM me your address and I'll mail you some. They need to be sowed in fall/winter. I've grown milkweed for years, but last year was the first time I saw monarchs and had caterpillars. I never could find the chrysalis, but this spring I found empty ones on a small evergreen shrub (in a planter) around the corner of the house from where the cats were. If you are on Facebook, there are several groups there with lots of information--one is Monarchs & Milkweed of Wake Forest. Many people "raise" the monarchs by collecting eggs and feeding in protected areas, but I'm not at that point yet.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
I am in in SC now, but our climate is similar. (moved from Raleigh). I have had more caterpillars than ever this year. I have swamp, common, tropical, and in pots, hairy balls milkweed. (Yes that's what it's called). The hairy balls grows up to 4 feet tall so when I seen cats on my dying plants of other varieties I transfer them over there. I raise a few in a pop up enclosure I got from Amazon but mostly I let nature run its course.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:29 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
A group I belong to--Neuse Riverhawks--is a local affiliate of the North Carolina Wildlife Federation (NCWF) and we have in our group a lady who raises Monarchs in her own lepidopterarium (butterfly house) in Wake Forest area.

If you go to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NCRiverHawks/ and leave a post, perhaps she'll join in and help you. We are a non-profit 501 c 3 organization, so this is not an advertisement.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:35 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Source: TBJ

Work is underway on a massive 104-acre residential development in Fuquay-Varina that will include a garden for Monarch butterflies.​

After years of preparation, work is underway on a massive 104-acre residential development in Fuquay-Varina.
This month, Arizona home builder Taylor Morrison (NYSE: TMHC) announced the construction of the first homes at its Brighton Ridge community in Fuquay-Varina, calling for 164 single-family lots with over 56 acres of open space and a variety of natural amenities made possible through a partnership with the National Wildlife Federation.
The property is situated on 104.7 acres at the intersection of Hilltop Needmore and Lake Wheeler roads in northeast Fuquay-Varina.
“It’s a really exciting opportunity for homeownership in a really growing city with access to downtown,” said Scott Roylance, Raleigh Division president for Taylor Morrison. “I think it’s a great location.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary