Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 32,568 times

Advertisements

After lot of research, we have decided to move into Brook arbor apts in Cary. We are moving from Michigan. I have a daughter who will be in eighth grade 2008-2009 year. My son will be in 2nd grade elementary.

I checked wcpss.net for base schools - they are Salem middle and Highcroft elementary. Both are year round. So, no problem if I get same tracks for both kids for 2008-2009.

I realize I will have a problem the year after, because my daughter will move to Panther creek High which is only traditional and my son will be year around!

I will appreciate any suggestions as to how I could handle this situation. I want them to have holidays same time like they have had so far.

I was wanted to avoid Cary because of the school situation. But both my wife and I fell in love with the area when we visited. We want to make our move to Cary work somehow!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Your child/ren cannot be forced into YR. When you enroll, they have to offer you a traditional calendar choice.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 PM

The wcpss.net site says Highcroft elementary is year round - there is no traditional calendar option?

For example for Highcroft elementary, the site has this description

'Highcroft elementary runs on the Multi-track Year-Round calendar' - there is no mention of traditional choice.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
If you click on the Magnet Program/Calendar Options, you'll see the Tradition Calendar Option.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
Weatherstone Elementary is the traditional calendar elementary option.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
When you enroll, they have to give you that option. It is currently not legal to force anyone into YR school without a traditional calendar choice option but it is done upon enrollment. Weatherstone is considered a really great elementary school.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:34 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Weatherstone is our elementary. Highcroft is an amazing elementary school. Weatherstone is okay. I understand that it would be very difficult having one child on a year round calendar and the other on a traditional calendar, but if I had a choice between the two (we applied for year round to Morrisville and were turned down so we're stuck with Weatherstone) I would choose Highcroft, and I can walk to Weatherstone in about 5 minutes.

Since you're renting, are you sure you'll be in that apartment more than one year? I personally would stick with the year rounds for this year (because they're excellent) and worry about next year next year.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:04 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
I would stick with year round and Highcroft and Salem (excellent schools). I would also try to get track 4 as it has the most similar days off as a traditional calender. My girlfriend has this situation and she does like having one on one time with each of her kids. Your other option would be to choose Weatherstone and Davis Middle (the traditional options). I think you will have to provide the transportation to and from those schools though.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Appreciate the suggestions!

From the 'ncreportcard' website I can see that Highcroft and Salem are excellent schools. We have decided to stick with them and do year round.

Both of us are working, so the year after next will be a challenge with one kid in year round and another in traditional. I also noticed the elementary starts at 9.15am while middle school starts at 7.30am. Hopefully we will find a good nanny who will help us manage the different schedules.

We are planning to be in this area for long term and hopefully my kids will benefit from the education from these schools without getting reassigned to different schools.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,989 times
Smile Relocating to Durham, NC area

Hi,

My family and I are also looking into relocating from Michigan to the Cary, NC area. My company is opening a new office in Durham, NC.

I have a daughter who is 7 and she will be starting second grade. Highcroft sounds like an excellent school. I am not too familiar with schools going all year long or the multitrack system, so I'm trying to catch up.

Can anyone provide feedback on how they like the year long school system and which track worked best for them?

Also, we will be taking a trip to Durham, NC. at the end of May. Can anyone provide info on good Hotels to stay at. How far is Durham from Cary?

Thanks,
Yvette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary