Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 06:42 AM

42 posts, read 44,630 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I have a young family member with a possible job offer in Raleigh. They currently live in northern Michigan. I was hoping to get thoughts and opinions on adjustments to a move like this as well as good areas to live around Raleigh. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 06:48 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
There's a wealth of information here: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-local.html

Old 12-18-2019, 06:49 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
Hi.

I have a young family member with a possible job offer in Raleigh. They currently live in northern Michigan. I was hoping to get thoughts and opinions on adjustments to a move like this as well as good areas to live around Raleigh. Thanks
We probably need more Yoopers.

Is the job in downtown Raleigh?
It matters for the commute.

Climate is significantly different. We get little to no snow, and it was in the mid-60's the last couple of days.
I have paid my lifetime show dues, and I love it, but that may just be me.

What does the youngster like to do in spare time?

Old 12-18-2019, 06:58 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
The winters are much less brutal. LOL. I was born in Michigan and spent my first 9 years there before moving to the snowbelt of Ohio and living there until I was 16.

It will depend on whether they want to live in a bit more rural area, or if they want to be smack dab in the middle of things. Do they live in a small township or a larger city now? Where is the job offer?

Old 12-18-2019, 08:09 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
So long as they realize and respect the fact that they are in ACC country and not B1G land anymore.....they should be fine

In all seriousness; the biggest differences once would most likely notice in Northern Michigan (especially if they are actually a "Yooper"; and not just northern lower-peninsula) vs the Triangle is climate and demographics/population density.

Compared to much of MI; the Triangle area will feel much more "big city" and transient. The population of this region is largely made up of folks who have come from other parts of the country and other parts of the world. This IMO makes it easier to meet new people because you aren't the only "newbie in town" but I could see it potentially being overwhelming to someone who is used to living in an area where everyone knows everyone going back generations.

We get snow one or twice a year here and 1 inch shuts everything down for a day. 6 inches shuts everything down for a week. We stay home and make cookies and sled/build snowmen binge netflix. Some transplants from snowier locales like to believe they are pros and can brave the roads that they assume will be as quickly re-mediated as they were "back home"...you can often spot them sitting outside of their sedan after it has slid into a ditch.

Summer is longer and hotter here than someone from the great lakes will be used to. Mid-may through mid September the majority of days will be Hot, Hazy, and humid and it can drag on. We had 100 degree temps in October this year.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Originally from northern Michigan here! Everyone already made great and accurate posts.

In general, if you truly mean they are from northern Michigan then moving to the Raleigh area is moving to the big city. Most of Raleighs suburb and satellite town's will feel larger then a majority of Northern Michigan. So though that will be different, it's not a very difficult transition to make vs moving to a truly big city like Chicago or even Detroit.

Biggest difference will be the weather as already mentioned. I talk to my family back in Michigan regularly and even after all these years it's surprising how different our weather can be on any given day of the year. I don't like the long hot summers but it's a worthy tradeoff over the long snowy winters.

More information about their situation would be needed for more advice on where to live but in general I would recommend to pick one of the burbs as it will be less of an overwhelming change.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:07 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
I was born and raised in Detroit. Came to Wake Forest NC area, via Boulder Co. and Kansas City MO about 7 years ago. Love it here. 4 seasons, yet a mild winter. Leave your skis in Michigan--you won't need them, unless you go West to the mountains.

Look into meetup groups here and join before you even move, to help get to know some people.

Great place. I really like it here.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryHeel View Post
Just tell them not to call soda “pop” anymore. Down here it’s just a ‘coke,’ even if it’s a Pepsi.
Mountain Dew is Never called "Coke".

Old 12-18-2019, 12:18 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryHeel View Post
Just tell them not to call soda “pop” anymore. Down here it’s just a ‘coke,’ even if it’s a Pepsi.
I've never observed that in all my life in NC. I think that's more of a Georgia thing.

It's soda or soft-drink!

But yeah definitely not "pop"...which coming from a great-lakes person will sound like "paaahp"

Old 12-18-2019, 12:42 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

We get snow one or twice a year here and 1 inch shuts everything down for a day. 6 inches shuts everything down for a week. We stay home and make cookies and sled/build snowmen binge netflix. Some transplants from snowier locales like to believe they are pros and can brave the roads that they assume will be as quickly re-mediated as they were "back home"...you can often spot them sitting outside of their sedan after it has slid into a ditch.

Funny the 3 people in my office tasked with deciding whether or not to keep the office open on snow days are all native Raleigh-ites and I've yet to experience an office closure here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary