Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 10:38 AM

368 posts, read 295,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it...

What is the easiest, cheapest way to get a transponder? Prefer one that i can move between cars (not a sticker), and one that doesn't have any monthly fees other than actual tolls.

I go on 540 maybe 3x/yr.
Buy the standard NC QuickPass. $7.40 plus tax to purchase, no monthly fee. You will need to pre-pay a $20 balance for tolls. It’s unlikely you would need the HOV-3 version, as that’s only in Charlotte right now on I-77.

I believe it is still the only one that is good for all east Coast systems (NC, GA, FL and EZPass for the rest - from VA north and west to Illinois.). If not the only one, it certainly was the first.

You should be able to put in multiple vehicles; I’ve done it for rental cars (of course, had to log in at the terminal to do so.)

Information here. https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 12:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
You should be able to put in multiple vehicles; I’ve done it for rental cars (of course, had to log in at the terminal to do so.)
Technically it's not permitted. Each vehicle you plan to use must be registered with your Quick Pass account and each one needs its own transponder. I don't know how strictly that's enforced.

We have one E-ZPass from VA and one from WV, but I can't really make any recommendations for anyone coming in new. WV recently transitioned to a new account system and we got a special multi-year deal as part of that, and since we travel up that way several times a year (or did when traveling was a thing), it made sense to open an account there since they offered cheaper toll rates for in-state transponders. VA seems to have cracked down a bit on out-of-staters applying, and they also reserve the right to terminate your account if you don't use it at least once every 6 months.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:04 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Technically it's not permitted. Each vehicle you plan to use must be registered with your Quick Pass account and each one needs its own transponder. I don't know how strictly that's enforced.
You can sign in online to your Quick Pass account and change the vehicle assigned to the transponder. I assumed you'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops and make phones calls to change vehicles, but it was simple and only took a few seconds. It seemed to be effective immediately after applying the change. You can only have one vehicle assigned to one transponder at a time. I kept using the one assigned to my car in my wife's car for years and never had an issue, but we only use it a few times a year, and mostly up north. As long as they collect the toll they probably don't care.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:29 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
For rentals is this what most people do, use their own EZ/Quik Pass?

I've always wondered how reliable the checking is by rental companies if you bring your own, that they don't charge you from the plate photos as well.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:12 PM

368 posts, read 295,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
For rentals is this what most people do, use their own EZ/Quik Pass?

I've always wondered how reliable the checking is by rental companies if you bring your own, that they don't charge you from the plate photos as well.
I haven’t had a problem with it. I happen to have an extra transponder, that I got for a then second car, so I use that when I have flown to other locations. I was told to enter the vehicle in the system, and as mentioned it’s easy online, and then delete the vehicle when I return (else I might get charged for somebody else’s travels.)

The rental agency’s method is to have you use their transponder once, and then their contract says they’ll charge you a daily service fee plus the tools. I just leave their’s in the box they provide, and put mine on the dash (or occasionally the windshield if I remember the Velcro.)

Old 12-29-2020, 07:20 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
I haven’t had a problem with it. I happen to have an extra transponder, that I got for a then second car, so I use that when I have flown to other locations. I was told to enter the vehicle in the system, and as mentioned it’s easy online, and then delete the vehicle when I return (else I might get charged for somebody else’s travels.)

The rental agency’s method is to have you use their transponder once, and then their contract says they’ll charge you a daily service fee plus the tools. I just leave their’s in the box they provide, and put mine on the dash (or occasionally the windshield if I remember the Velcro.)
Can't rep you again but thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary