Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 06:53 AM

888 posts, read 804,898 times

Advertisements

Google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 07:35 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Time for me to replace my grinder.

Hmmmmm....
https://www.consumerreports.org/coff...ffee-grinders/

I bought a Kitchenaid Burr grinder about 20 years ago. It's a work horse. Looks nice sitting on the counter too. Lots of great options out there across all $$ levels.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:54 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Time for me to replace my grinder.

Hmmmmm....
https://www.consumerreports.org/coff...ffee-grinders/

Check out the Capresso grinder, about $100 but worth it.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:42 AM

385 posts, read 348,167 times
Even if you don't stick to press pot, a grinder will make you drip coffee lot better. Had a Cuisenart DBM- 8 for many years (a bargain burr grinder for about $35 on Amazon-if they make them like they used to). Gave it away and got a Baratza that only lasted a couple years. Then a Bodum (too small for drip pot). Now have Capresso that grinds well but flimsy. For beans we like Trader Joe's medium blend.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:19 PM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
Sir Walter Coffee in Downtown Raleigh sells coffee beans and you can request they grind the beans for you.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:48 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
French press is fantastic. I switched over years ago and never looked back.

If buying whole bean, you don’t want to grind too far ahead of time. You can get a Krups coffee and spice grinder for under $15. Mine is 5 years old and still going strong. I grind the beans while warming water in an electric kettle. Then it all comes together like magic!
Agree with grinding your own, but if you're going to the trouble and expense to get good beans, don't ruin it by using a spice-style grinder. INSTEAD, get a burr-mill style grinder where the beans pass from one hopper, though the burrs and into another.
-More uniform
-less time in the blades means less heat applied
-better quality all around.

I've had cuisinart one for years, it serves me well. I think it's this one: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 01-06-2020, 07:58 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
I have Baratza Encore burr grinder and it's amazing. Totally worth the money I paid for it. I use kalita, chemix or french press and get consistently great coffee.

I'm absolutely tired paying over $10 for whole bean coffee like Counter Culture, Van Gogh or whatever. So my new years resolution is to roast my own coffee. Hoping by this time next year, I'll have learned how to consistently roast good coffee! I bought Kenneth Davis' book on Home Coffee Roasting, and I read it cover to cover. I ordered my home roasting kit through Sweet Maria's yesterday! It should be here next week. Excited!

Last edited by HatchChile; 01-06-2020 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 AM

307 posts, read 377,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I have Baratza Encore burr grinder and it's amazing. Totally worth the money I paid for it. I use kalita, chemix or french press and get consistently great coffee.

I'm absolutely tired paying over $10 for whole bean coffee like Counter Culture, Van Gogh or whatever. So my new years resolution is to roast my own coffee. Hoping by this time next year, I'll have learned how to consistently roast good coffee! I bought Kenneth Davis' book on Home Coffee Roasting, and I read it cover to cover. I ordered my home roasting kit through Sweet Maria's yesterday! It should be here next week. Excited!
I have a Baratza Virtuoso, would definiltey the Encore or that one. They have been around for a long time, have great customer service, and replaceable parts in case anything goes wrong. I've been looking into home roasting a bit as well, have you figured out where to get the green beans?

For the OP's question Bean Traders in Durham is my go to. They have a bunch of different options and will grind in shop for you or sell whole bean.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:47 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
I have a Baratza Virtuoso, would definiltey the Encore or that one. They have been around for a long time, have great customer service, and replaceable parts in case anything goes wrong. I've been looking into home roasting a bit as well, have you figured out where to get the green beans?

For the OP's question Bean Traders in Durham is my go to. They have a bunch of different options and will grind in shop for you or sell whole bean.
Check out Sweet Maria's website. It's been a great resource for me. I got their starter kit and it comes with 8lbs of green coffee. I think I may stick with them for a while until I find something local (not sure if you can buy green coffee from coffee roasters here?) But their prices seem very reasonable.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post

Back when I was roasting my own, I found these guys to be a good resource & starting point.... https://burmancoffee.com/product-cat...RoCUG0QAvD_BwE

Not sure if they're the best, but thought I'd share as an option, if you have not already found them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary