Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 06:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Be warned. Yesterday, January 6th, I called DMV to make an appointment for DH and I to go get our Real ID's.

I said we would go to any office within roughly 25 miles of Brier Creek. The agent took a good bit of time searching, and offered appointments at several different offices, so clearly she actually DID look for alternatives (she also was VERY nice).

The soonest appointments were in early May. Some of the offices were booked until July. Morning appointments were the hardest to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Be warned. Yesterday, January 6th, I called DMV to make an appointment for DH and I to go get our Real ID's.

I said we would go to any office within roughly 25 miles of Brier Creek. The agent took a good bit of time searching, and offered appointments at several different offices, so clearly she actually DID look for alternatives (she also was VERY nice).

The soonest appointments were in early May. Some of the offices were booked until July. Morning appointments were the hardest to get.

Good to know. I had been wondering how the "rollout in the lead-up to the deadline" would be.

Ill probably just renew my passport instead (employer will pay for it) that I let expire when I married someone who wont fly over water.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:37 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
From what I've heard, getting the new ID doesn't get you a new expiration date. In other words, it's like a replacement: your expiration date doesn't change. So if you only have a short time to your current license expiration, you might want to wait.

If this is not the case, please let me know. I just use my passport. I always carry it--even when I'm just traveling domestically.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:56 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,806 times
I called last January to set up an appointment and wasn't able to get in until mid-June...so I guess the situation has improved?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:58 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
It's been this way for over a year. I've spent more time at the DMV over the past two years than any person should have to - with three teen drivers.

Honestly if you have the time and you need it soon just go to the DMV early and get on line. That's what I did for my kids' licenses - brought a beach chair and a book and was 10th on line.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
From what I've heard, getting the new ID doesn't get you a new expiration date. In other words, it's like a replacement: your expiration date doesn't change. So if you only have a short time to your current license expiration, you might want to wait.

If this is not the case, please let me know. I just use my passport. I always carry it--even when I'm just traveling domestically.
Sort of. If you go for your appointment within 6 months of the expiration date, you get a new one. And pay the regular fee.

Outside of that 6 month window - you're right, it's a replacement. The fee is like $18 I think.

The nice lady on the phone actually pointed out to me that if I delayed my appointment for just one week, I'd be within that 6 month window.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:18 AM

We considered just using our passports. But if they get lost, replacing them is a PITA and can take several weeks and/or a trip to the regional passport office (isn't that Charlotte?)

Certainly, those traveling on business wouldn't want to tell their employer, "Oops.
My passport got lost. Cancel all my business travel for the next 3 weeks." Alternatives and backup plans are a good thing. Just MHO.

BTW make a photo copy of your passport and stash it someplace. If you do lose it, it will make replacement a little easier,

Old 01-07-2020, 08:29 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We considered just using our passports. But if they get lost, replacing them is a PITA and can take several weeks and/or a trip to the regional passport office (isn't that Charlotte?)

Certainly, those traveling on business wouldn't want to tell their employer, "Oops.
My passport got lost. Cancel all my business travel for the next 3 weeks." Alternatives and backup plans are a good thing. Just MHO.

BTW make a photo copy of your passport and stash it someplace. If you do lose it, it will make replacement a little easier,

Valid points. A couple thoughts for my personal situation.

1. Yes they can get lost, but having grown up overseas, where US passports are worth a pretty penny and targeted for theft as a result, my late mother browbeat the hell out of me to keep em in a safe unless you need em.

2. My employer has a Security Ops team and support vendors that can get you a replacement passport in less than 24 hours (as long as you have a flight booked or if there is an "act of god" situation), so as long as I stay with them, I don't have to go through the "normal citizen channels" to procure a replacement. The famous story my employer tells at orientation is one of their employees was on the "Sully" flight that crashed in the Hudson River (their Security Ops Organization is tapped into all Federal travel Agencies; FAA, DHS etc). The Security Ops team in NYC had the employee a hotel room booked and replacement clothes, computer equipment, identification documents (passport) in a hotel room in NYC within an hour or two. Flew his family in three hours later.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Anyone know if this also affects appointments for someone moving to the area and needs to get out of state license changed to NC?

Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

In anticipation of the hassle, I renewed my DL last fall (it expires next month).
If you renew, it costs a (standard) renewal fee.
BUT if you renew earlier than 6 months prior to expiration date, there is a bigger renewal fee.
Regardless, if you upgrade to NewID, it doesn't cost anything extra,

Getting an appointment is a good idea, but they are so booked up, it's a good idea to ALSO try doing a walk-in at a less-busy office, during less-busy times.
I went in on a Tuesday, at 2 pm, at the office just off Glenwood at the east border of Durham:
101 S Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
There were 2 people in line in front of me, and despite a bit of paperwork shuffling, I was still in and out in about an hour. (And a bit in shock as the folks there were friendly and helpful LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary