Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:08 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know it's out of season. But we used to live in Mexico during the summer, and I could get homemade tamales year round. For some inexplicable reason, I have a HUGE hankering for them. I've never found restaurants to have them like the homemade ones, not even in phoenix (but I could buy them at the mexican grocery stores out if the back of a car every weekend.)

Preferably green Chile would be involved. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:54 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
Unfortunately I can't think of any places around here.......

There is a random place that normally has them - it's a cocktail bar in the Oakwood/Mordecai area called William & Company and they serve one food item - tamales. And they are actually good! (I'm no expert though haha)

Old 05-24-2020, 10:19 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,242 times
Try La Bonita in Cary

Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM

528 posts, read 934,816 times
Totopos makes excellent tamales - usually on Tuesday and Thursday nights although am unsure if they have them when only doing curbside. They’re really good!

Old 05-26-2020, 08:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,206,496 times
Yeah, probably need to be more specific. Having married into a Tex Mex family, Texas tamales are not similar to Phoenix tamales (aka green chile). Are you looking for pork? chicken? chile and cheese? Even within Mexico tamales vary (especially since most recipes are handed down). We did befriend some of the employees of the local Mexican restaurant and they made us some chile and cheese tamales. Wasn't really a fan, though.

The best store bought tamales I've found around here are at Costco, but they are made in TX and are tex mex pork tamales, so if you're looking to venture out to a different flavor profile, they're worth a try.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:22 AM

23 posts, read 23,142 times
Gonza typically features homemade tamales one day a week - not sure about during this Covid time though. The Gonza on Lead Mine Road typically features them on Thursday evenings, but I do think their other locations might offer them on other nights. I think they feature them on Wednesdays at their Durham location.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 AM

307 posts, read 377,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleighGal View Post
Gonza typically features homemade tamales one day a week - not sure about during this Covid time though. The Gonza on Lead Mine Road typically features them on Thursday evenings, but I do think their other locations might offer them on other nights. I think they feature them on Wednesdays at their Durham location.
They announced last week the Durham location is closed permanently .

Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 PM

23 posts, read 23,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
They announced last week the Durham location is closed permanently .
That's awful news, as that was such a great space that they had there. Kind of off the beaten track, but really popular and a really cool vibe.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Uncle Julio's has some good tamales. You can purchase them by the dozen. I prefer their pork, but the chicken is good too. I also prefer their green sauce and not the red. I had a friend from Mexico go with me once and she really loved their tamales, if that means anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary