Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
I keep having to go out and risk my life at the store because every time I go, they don't have anything - so I keep going back. I've been to Walmart at 7am when they open, in the middle of the day and right before they close and it doesn't matter.

I now seem to be the only person in Raleigh not wearing a mask outside in public. And it sure isn't because I don't want to. Where the hell are all these people getting all these masks from? Did everyone just have a huge stockpile in the garage for years before this? I can't figure this out.

Can someone tell me where to get masks and disinfectant around here because Walmart sure doesn't have any of them - ever.
Well the US had all of these then tried to make a profit by selling the supply for a marked up price to China who was willing to pay. gave up the supply to meet a demand not being smart enough to know that this was coming to the States.

President tried to play hardball with tariffs which included medical products so supply decreased...winning is what I have heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:42 AM

253 posts, read 283,117 times
If someone could answer my question about where to find masks and disinfectant around here, that would be really great.

If you bought yours, where did you buy them?

If you saw them somewhere, where did you see them for sale?

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
If someone could answer my question about where to find masks and disinfectant around here, that would be really great.

Thanks.
Anyone who has masks bought them before the pandemic began. A poster on another tread reported that Lowe's Foods on Strickland Road had sanitizing wipes in stock earlier this this morning. I'm sure they'll go quickly.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:01 AM

422 posts, read 461,793 times
Quote:

Thanks.

I think the short answer is you won't find masks anywhere available to the public at this time. Even the non-big box stores, think places like construction supply houses, auto body paint supply places, etc. are sold out. The big box stores (like HD) have even stopped ordering them, and donated existing stock as to avoid competing with the health care industry. I suspect you will find a lot of people who are wearing conventional disposable dust masks just have them around the house for craft projects. I keep a box in the garage for sanding projects, or mowing during the yellow scurge for instance.

Disenfectant is just going to be hit or miss at the retailers. If you happen to get there when a truck comes with Lysol, you are in luck. If not, your not.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,844 times
maybe tip the stock person at said store to give you a heads up when the product comes in?

Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
What's the point of wearing a mask if you're staying away from others?

Old 04-03-2020, 08:27 AM

253 posts, read 283,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
What's the point of wearing a mask if you're staying away from others?
When I go to the grocery store or Walmart - I am surrounded by people - most of whom are wearing masks and I cannot control how close to me they all get. That is the point.

I am most worried about having a coughing sneezing person stand right next to me and I have no mask.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:31 AM

339 posts, read 318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, that's what they're using at Duke to disinfect masks. It must be stored in a brown bottle so don't put a lot in a clear spray bottle and expect it to last. Take the sprayer and put it in the peroxide bottle.
actually , and not sure if they're incorporating it entirely, but they've started to use UV lights to disinfect the masks which personally I think is a much better disinfecting approach.
Reason being...If the Hydrogen peroxide were not to dry thoroughly then you have damp fibers left in the masks which could become breeding grounds for bacteria.
Google UV light/robots/coronavirus to see some pretty cool ways China and some other places are using UV to disinfect entire hospital rooms, etc.
Here's a good video put out by the Mayo Clinic , just for an idea.
After all is said and done things must be cleaned well first, no matter what. You can't disinfect gross filth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiqPUXeAgk

Old 04-03-2020, 08:31 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Quote:
When I go to the grocery store or Walmart - I am surrounded by people - most of whom are wearing masks and I cannot control how close to me they all get. That is the point.

I am most worried about having a coughing sneezing person stand right next to me and I have no mask.
Yeah, I'm going to make one to wear to the grocery store. I don't plan on needing to go anywhere else for the next couple of weeks except maybe a park, where I won't wear one. And hopefully only the grocery store one time.

Edit: I said next couple of weeks because who even knows what day it is anymore? I forgot it was only April 3. Next month or so? eh

Last edited by NM posts; 04-03-2020 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 08:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:

Like you state, most are already wearing a mask. And don't let someone stand right next to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary