Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 07:18 PM

197 posts, read 208,229 times

Advertisements

My guess is that OP has the AAA membership, called roadside assistance, and the car was taken to the AAA auto shop (where she had bad experiences) because the OP didn't request to take it to a different garage? When I had AAA, they really pushed my car to be taken to the AAA auto care location. The nearby AAA shop had horrible reviews (like so many 1 star reviews... seems somewhat better these days), so I firmly resisted but they kept asking to take it to the AAA location instead. It was very frustrating, the phone operator was very persistent about it, a few minutes later called back again about it after I hung up, and the guy showed up even insisted to take to the AAA shop.

I made a somewhat similar post a few years back (though by different motivation). Same as here, people really like AAA. Not really helpful but just as a reference: https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...xperience.html

I'm curious about roadside assistance that comes with Amason Prime credit card. Anyone has used it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 07:53 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
I sometimes take the car to AAA (Atlantic Ave shop) for basic services and found them to be pretty good and not try to upsell, which I am allergic to anyway, and have reasonable prices for things.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:02 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
It was very frustrating, the phone operator was very persistent about it, a few minutes later called back again about it after I hung up, and the guy showed up even insisted to take to the AAA shop.
I don't know how long it's been out there, but now there's an app with an Uber-like interface. It drops a pin where you are, you request service and you can follow the driver's location once he's en-route.

About 2-3 years ago I had a car that, for some reason, had a rash of problems so I joined AAA...saved my butt quite a few times. Haven't needed them since but using the app was so smooth and seamless I've maintained my membership.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:07 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
AAA?
I think it is up to the manager.
I went to the Morrisville location for a few years. Great experience.
They changed managers, and I felt upsell pressure every time I went in.
Any newer vehicle, I just take to the dealership, or Ford Quicklane, now.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 64,805 times
My bad for being confusing. It turns out, from the comments of some that help clarify - I don't understand how AAA operates. I didn't realize there was a difference in AAA roadside service and the AAA local garages to which the vehicle is towed!

I think we may just keep the AAA roadside service and just avoid the AAA local garages - like the comment of one person -hubby hates how they try to sell above and beyond what you need.

Thanks for everyone's comments in helping me clarify!

And, the end of story - car was hauled to AAA garage yesterday and bought new battery as that was the problem. Did oil change too. The other issues with brakes, transmission fluid etc., etc., etc. that were recommended - we will have done by another garage.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:08 PM

197 posts, read 208,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't know how long it's been out there, but now there's an app with an Uber-like interface. It drops a pin where you are, you request service and you can follow the driver's location once he's en-route.
Great to know! Thanks for that info. That frustrating experience made me drop AAA but app sounds much more simpler I will reconsider them when my current one expires.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:44 AM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
I've had the AAA roadside for years and have needed to call about the battery, tires or other issues. The contractors AAA sends have always towed me to where I've needed to go.

In the future just get towed to the shop that usually does your car maintenance and repairs.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I've found the Good Sam is a far better deal for roadside service. If you are an RV'er, you know about their service, but they do autos, motorcycles, trailers, trucks, motorhomes.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-18-2020, 01:59 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
I firmly resisted but they kept asking to take it to the AAA location instead
My guesses: the tow truck operator gets a commission if the car is taken to an AAA garage. Likewise, whoever you speak with at the 800 number -- or at least the telephone agents are measured against a percentage of referrals they're expected to make.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 AM

140 posts, read 144,015 times
As someone stated, for the roadside assistance portion, check with your car insurance company.
I can't remember the cost to add-on but I know if was cheaper than AAA's annual membership rate(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary