Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 11:39 AM

260 posts, read 638,191 times

Advertisements

As they relax stay-at-home restrictions, I foresee need for more hand sanitizers - to keep in car, purse, key chains... But hand sanitizers are even more difficult to find then TP. This thread is to report where you found some hand sanitizer. I personally have not found any in last 6 weeks.. I am running on fumes...

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 11:46 AM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Check another thread called Masks and Disinfectants. North Raleigh Guy posted a list of distilleries making hand sanitizer. That's the easiest way to get some although not the cheapest.

For example, check Mystic Distillery in Durham's website.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:47 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,877 times
I ordered a large bottle of liquid hand sanitizer from Amazon. It’s not a gel, but a liquid. I also purchased little spray bottles to put it in. Equally effective, just a tad less convenient maybe. But considering I have had none at all since this started, it’s a step in the right direction!

Old 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
If you get desperate you can always take liquid/foamy hand soap and a jug of water to wash up after visiting a store. Inconvenient but better than nothing.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
I purchased a large bottle of sanitizer from Mystic Farm and Distillery in Durham. It was super convenient to order online and pick up in their drive thru. They have both liquid for spray bottles and gel. I prefer the spray because I can spray my hands and if I do not trust if a cart has been cleaned I can do it myself.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:32 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
Keep checking Bath and Body works online! You kind of have to stalk the site and check it 4-5x a day, but I have seen it pop up a few times. I found some for a friend a week ago on there.

Like others said, the distilleries are an option too.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:41 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Given the scarcity of hand sanitizers, we emptied out 3 small (1 fl oz) spray bottles which were previously filled with lens cleaner...(given to us when we got eyeglasses) and filled them with 93% isopropyl alcohol. We carry them instead of hand sanitizer and use them for our hands, to spray door handles etc.

I know that isopropyl alcohol has also been difficult to find but we had 2 full bottles at home prior to the pandemic.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:03 PM

51 posts, read 42,708 times
The 93 pct concentration is probably about 23 pct too high to be as effective as it will evaporate too quickly. Recommend to dilute it to around 70 pct with either aloe vera / glycerin or lotion allowing the liquid to take a bit longer to evaporate to ensure it has enough time to destroy the virus outer envelope. Example: if you have 7 fl oz of 93 pct IA, then a little under 1 oz of aloe juice / or even water to get to appropriate concentration.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:55 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
[quote=jcohnc;57979490]The 93 pct concentration is probably about 23 pct too high to be as effective as it will evaporate too quickly. Recommend to dilute it to around 70 pct with either aloe vera / glycerin or lotion allowing the liquid to take a bit longer to evaporate to ensure it has enough time to destroy the virus outer envelope. Example: if you have 7 fl oz of 93 pct IA, then a little under 1 oz of aloe juice / or even water to get to appropriate concentration.[/QUOTE

I looked his up and yes, 70% isopropyl alcohol is more effective at killing BACTERIA than 91%. Looks like the additional water in the 70% helps the alcohol to cross the cell membrane. However, any strength of alcohol over 60% deactivates a virus that has an envelope structure.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM

339 posts, read 318,976 times
[quote=jcohnc;57979490]The 93 pct concentration is probably about 23 pct too high to be as effective as it will evaporate too quickly. Recommend to dilute it to around 70 pct with either aloe vera / glycerin or lotion allowing the liquid to take a bit longer to evaporate .

Yes...it evaporates quickly without additives.
Solution we found ( and to keep it full strength) is to wet a small hand towel with IA and put it in a ziploc bag...use/remove only as needed. IA soaked towel stays wet & hopefully effective ( on repeated usages) this way.
Now getting low on IA and nowhere to be found, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary