Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 06:36 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Various drainage issues exists.
I know the problem at the Lake Lynn trail, which also floods often, is that subsequent to the expansion and deepening of the lake about 40 years ago as part of the flood mitigation program for Crabtree Creek, the lake bottom has silted up from construction in its watershed. Consequently the lake doesn't have the short-term storage capacity that it was designed to have. Every year it takes less stormwater runoff to push the lake above the level where the bridges flood. Can't really blame the Greenway for that. Draining and mucking out the lake bottom to restore its capacity is not something that the City and County have been enthusiastic about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 AM

30 posts, read 19,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I know the problem at the Lake Lynn trail, which also floods often, is that subsequent to the expansion and deepening of the lake about 40 years ago as part of the flood mitigation program for Crabtree Creek, the lake bottom has silted up from construction in its watershed. Consequently the lake doesn't have the short-term storage capacity that it was designed to have. Every year it takes less stormwater runoff to push the lake above the level where the bridges flood. Can't really blame the Greenway for that. Draining and mucking out the lake bottom to restore its capacity is not something that the City and County have been enthusiastic about.
Stormwater issues are going to become a big problem for the City of Raleigh, I'm afraid.
The current system is already stressed and there seems to be little concern for addressing the problem. One of the downsides of rapid development and infill projects is that they result in a loss of pervious ground - and as a result more stormwater is shunted into pipes that weren't designed for the additional stress.
The City of Raleigh has a drainage assistance program that is supposed to help homeowners who are negatively impacted by the city's stormwater issues, but it's woefully under-funded and projects languish there for years and years.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:18 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Thanks for all the feedback! Attending a focus group meeting this week so wanted to collect some general comments.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Some crossings are pretty bad. The Gorman crossing of the Walnut Creek is especially unsafe, imo.
Just saw this while I was compiling comments and there was recently a fatality at this crosswalk. There is a HAWK signal that will be going in here in the next year - unfortunately it wasn’t soon enough to prevent this one but it will be improved in the near future.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
More miles and connectivity is the big thing for me. Get the Crabtree finished to Umstead. Work with Cary to connect up, say, the Walnut Creek greenway with the planned Iron Gate greenway or other. There needs to be options than just swinging all the way to Umstead.
Crabtree connection to Umstead is currently in design with construction starting later this year

Cary connection -> the Walnut Creek greenway is definitely on the city's radar in getting that extended across 440/Jones Franklin over to Cary

There's some preliminary discussion about using a connection along Durant Road to connect the East Fork Mine Creek trail over to the Abbott's Creek Trail

Old 05-15-2020, 04:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdust View Post
My stance (as a cyclist) towards the trail pedestrians / walkers/ joggers is that they have the right of way & priority, and I don't call out, "on your left" because, as you said, to them it's meaningless. Why would it have any meaning or make sense (other than to other, aware cyclists)? Instead, I call out a hopefully cheery "hello" and/or "good morning/afternoon" and I don't hesitate to slow down to a crawl or even stop. Especially if there are children or pets. I also thank those who do provide room after I go by.
I feel the same way, but in practice I find that I don't slow down as much on multi-use dirt trails compared to paved greenways. I sometimes also use the buzz of my rear derailleur to notify pedestrians of my approach instead of calling out to them.

I really hate it when pedestrians (or cyclists) walk (ride) down the middle of the trail with ear buds in their ears. Totally oblivious.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Are there any maps that show how to get from one greenway to another via bike or do you have to figure it out on your own?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Are there any maps that show how to get from one greenway to another via bike or do you have to figure it out on your own?
Not sure what you're looking for but......

City of Raleigh has a bike map showing suggested routes: https://maps.raleighnc.gov/bikemap/ or https://bikeraleigh.org/home/images/...ap_03_2017.pdf

Cary and Durham have something similar as well:
https://www.townofcary.org/home/showdocument?id=1472
https://durhamnc.gov/1031/Durham-Bike-Hike-Map

Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 PM

634 posts, read 913,303 times
Also, google maps will route using the greenways (and in between) if you select bicycle as the transport.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdust View Post
Also, google maps will route using the greenways (and in between) if you select bicycle as the transport.

Ah, I didn't think about Google maps.

And thanks Pierre, those maps plus Google will get me where I need to go hopping on and off different greenways.

I'm pleased with the current greenway system. No complaints here.

I wish the vast majority of the Mountain to Sea Trail was "bikeable" ugh ... that's a goal one day, but I guess I'd have to opt for the on-road route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary