Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnorth View Post
I don't know if C-D is the place for a sub-forum, but it'd be nice if was somewhere. Again—I'm interested in sources for information and conversations about local politics—development, zoning, school board, etc.

For example, Chapel Hill's school superintendent abruptly resigned a few weeks ago, and it seems that there's not going to be any investigation or further discussion about it.
Oldnorth, I had a related question as to whether local political issues could be respectfully discussed on a local forum, and here's the response from the moderators I received:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/abou...-place-if.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 06:15 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Oldnorth, I had a similar question as to whether local political issues could be respectfully discussed on a local forum, and here's the response from the moderators I received:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/abou...-place-if.html

"Regardless of place common courtesy rules apply and threads get closed or deleted if they degenerate into bickering."
Yup. That's the deal.

Dip a toe into the Politics and Other Controversies forum sometime, and you will want to take a shower after...

Old 05-24-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Regardless of place common courtesy rules apply and threads get closed or deleted if they degenerate into bickering."
Yup. That's the deal.

Dip a toe into the Politics and Other Controversies forum sometime, and you will want to take a shower after...
I am very familiar with that sub-forum and you hit the nail on the head! I'd hate it if discussions on this sub-forum were as nasty and often conspiracy theory driven as that area of the forum. I've gotten drawn into some of those discussions, which inevitably ends up being an exercise in futility. There's usually much better give and take in discussions here, and not about angry, generic talking points, and hurling personal insults attacking a person, rather than criticizing a weak idea.

It's a bit of a catch 22 though because I enjoy reading the opinions of people in the North Carolina forum (I'm broadening this beyond just the Triangle) on NC issues, but it could just as easily be a discussion about a mayoral/County commissioner's/sheriff's, race, etc., somewhere in the Triangle or other smaller region of the state.

I do think the level of discourse has been higher on this sub-forum than it would be on the P&OC forum, when reading about things like Governor Cooper's reopening strategies, various controversies with Governor McCrory (HB2, etc.), the state legislative redistricting, etc. I'd hate it if the only option on this forum to discuss something happening in North Carolina were there, because it would be more likely to bring people out the woodwork who clearly have an axe to grind and hijack the discussion. That was my main reason for asking the question to the moderators mentioned in my previous post (#22).

There are several posters on the NC forum that have sometimes opposing viewpoints (myself included), and I think for the most part, we do a better job of simply agreeing to disagree and being respectful than the other sub-forum.

The analogy I would offer is:

P&OC forum reminds me more of people shouting chants at each other (one group probably much louder than the other) during a protest rally where the police are having to physically hold them back over concern they're about to topple each other;

NC forum political related discussions reminds me more of reading two opposing Op-ed pieces in a centrist, local newspaper that adheres to old school journalism standards where various viewpoints are showcased, and the news and opinion sections are clearly separated.

I would hate for the NC forums to come close to resembling P&OC, but at the same time, I would hate politics to be completely off limits here.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-24-2020 at 07:02 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 PM

36 posts, read 24,221 times
Quote:
I do think the level of discourse has been higher on this sub-forum than it would be on the P&OC forum, when reading about things like Governor Cooper's reopening strategies, various controversies with Governor McCrory (HB2, etc.), the state legislative redistricting, etc. I'd hate it if the only option on this forum to discuss something happening in North Carolina were there, because it would be more likely to bring people out the woodwork who clearly have an axe to grind and hijack the discussion. That was my main reason for asking the question to the moderators mentioned in my previous post (#22).
Yes, but, on the other hand, a forum focused on NC politics might spark more conversation. Local and state politics are severely under-covered, and it's difficult to even find out what's really happening.

I just sense that there's a lot of politics happening online in weird places—private facebook groups, local political organizations, and listservs. With this post, I was trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Personally, I find politics at the local level important to discuss - especially since local elections tend to be much less partisan (oftentimes technically non-partisan). Bond issues are political. The way county/city governments budget and tax and spend - political.

Seems the issue is keeping national and partisan opinion/insults off the local forum. POC is indeed a cesspool with a few decent posters on either "side" willing to actually discuss and disagree. But mostly it's 45 is the devil/45 is perfect with little room for the massive middle.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:54 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
You won't see me post anything remotely political or indicate my leanings but it was interesting to see Gov. Cooper on the national news yesterday standing up to Trump about the Charlotte convention. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 PM

36 posts, read 24,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Personally, I find politics at the local level important to discuss - especially since local elections tend to be much less partisan (oftentimes technically non-partisan). Bond issues are political. The way county/city governments budget and tax and spend - political.

Seems the issue is keeping national and partisan opinion/insults off the local forum. POC is indeed a cesspool with a few decent posters on either "side" willing to actually discuss and disagree. But mostly it's 45 is the devil/45 is perfect with little room for the massive middle.
On top of this, North Carolina politics are particularly complicated/frustrating because the state has a lot of control over what should be municipal issues—like paving streets, building sidewalks, etc.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnorth View Post
Yes, but, on the other hand, a forum focused on NC politics might spark more conversation. Local and state politics are severely under-covered, and it's difficult to even find out what's really happening.

I just sense that there's a lot of politics happening online in weird places—private facebook groups, local political organizations, and listservs. With this post, I was trying to figure out what I'm missing.
I'd defer to Poppydog's post on the local issues since you both seem to be in the same area.

For state issues, I also like NC Spin, which broadcasts on UNC-TV, and also online. Despite the title, it's not really the negative spin you get from dubious commercial sources like cable "news" channels. It presents a basic overview of some of the top political news stories in the state with a very professional moderator (Tom Campbell). The panel has both a conservative and progressive perspective but they state their opinions with fact, class and respectful decorum for the other panelists. I would give it a try (they also have a Youtube Channel if you like that platform better):

https://www.ncspin.com/about-us

Last edited by Jowel; 05-28-2020 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,437 times
I’ve said it here before, and I’ll say it again.

I try my best to avoid posting in P&OC. For me, it’s an echo chamber where a large number of members are biased one way. I don’t think you can have much of a civil, reasonable discussion there.

As of now, I look mostly at what shows up on the local and state subreddits.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
I'd defer to Poppydog's post on the local issues since you both seem to be in the same area.

For state issues, I also like NC Spin, which broadcasts on UNC-TV, and also online. Despite the title, it's not really the negative spin you get from dubious commercial sources like cable "news" channels. It presents a basic overview of some of the top political news stories in the state with a very professional moderator (Tom Campbell). The panel has both a conservative and progressive perspective but they state their opinions with fact, class and respectful decorum for the other panelists. I would give it a try (they also have a Youtube Channel if you like that platform better):

https://www.ncspin.com/about-us
stupid me didn't think to look on Youtube for them - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary