Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 06:20 AM

148 posts, read 170,901 times

Advertisements

We have a 3 bed 2 bath house in Durham. One of the non-master bedrooms is very large, and I would like to add an interior wall and a hallway door in order to carve out a small (12x8) home office from it. Even with the smaller dimensions, the bedroom would still be larger (and with a larger closet) than the other non-master bedroom, so I'm not worried about making the bedroom unusable. I'm not adding to the potential occupancy or adding a new bedroom or anything like that (the created office won't have any external window and is too small to be a bedroom IMO).

I was surprised that a few of the contractors I contacted said that a permit would be needed (and that Durham has a 10-12 week wait on approving permits). I am definitely not an expert and have not had anything done to our house involving a contractor previously, so I'm not really familiar with what requires or does not require a permit. Does this sound right to those of you out there with more experience and expertise on these issues? I'm sure I'm overlooking something in my idea that probably adds to the complexity of the project, of course.

I still want to do this project as I want a small office area in the long run, but the covid-forced work-from-home has added urgency to the idea, so the thought of a 10-12 week delay is a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 06:28 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,499,246 times
My guess (I'm not an expert) is that if you're adding a wall, you'll need to extend the electrical into that wall to meet code (I think you have to have a receptacle every 6'?). And there may need to be work done to the HVAC ductwork to have a vent in each room. That's probably the reasoning behind needing a permit.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 AM

628 posts, read 399,276 times
There are more factors that come into play that the brief project description you provided in order to determine whether a permit is required. Here's what state law says:

"No permit...shall be required for any construction, installation, repair, replacement, or alteration
costing five thousand dollars ($5,000) or less in any single-family residence or farm building
unless the work involves: the addition, repair or replacement of load bearing structures; the
addition (excluding replacement of same size and capacity) or change in the design of plumbing;
the addition, replacement or change in the design of heating, air conditioning, or electrical
wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment; the use of materials not permitted by the North
Carolina Uniform Residential Building Code; or the addition (excluding replacement of like
grade of fire resistance) of roofing. Violation of this section constitutes a Class 1
misdemeanor."

Thats the minimum permitting requirements imposed by State law, but counties and cities may through ordinances and regulations impose additional permitting requirements. The final decision as to when a permit is required will be made at the local level by the inspection department having jurisdiction over the property.

I'd contact Durham's Building Inspection Office and describe my project in detail and ask if a permit is required.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:34 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
many business are going under and there are likely tons of cubicle and tall office partitions available - cheap. another option possibly?

Old 06-19-2020, 07:11 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
many business are going under and there are likely tons of cubicle and tall office partitions available - cheap. another option possibly?
Or install a ceiling track with a floor to ceiling curtain? Maybe a shoji screen? Installing a hallway door for easy access to the office side of the room shouldn't require a permit, and then put up a non-wall divider between the two spaces.

All sorts of ideas for non-permanent room dividers (some fixed, some free-standing) here: https://www.google.com/search?q=room...w=1871&bih=913

Old 06-19-2020, 07:43 AM

5,881 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Here's what state law says:
It's up to each town/AHJ to determine when a permit is required.

If you are going to add a wall, you will need to add outlets. For electrical, anything other than a repair requires a permit.

Bottom line - you need a permit.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:00 AM

422 posts, read 461,973 times
And unless both future spaces have supplies and returns (depending upon the configuration, returns may not be an issue), you'll need to modify your HVAC as well, triggering the permit. And yes, Durham wait times for permits can be long.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:54 AM

148 posts, read 170,901 times
Thanks for all the input. I didn't think about electricity, as the existing walls have plenty of outlets for my needs (both on the bedroom side and the office side of the room). And I was planning on putting in a large passthrough window in the office to overlook down on our living room (to let some natural light in the room), so I thought that would make it open enough to not need its own HVAC vent.

This is why I'm not a professional. I appreciate the responses.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
you could also build a wall of floor to ceiling bookcases that you can move (put temp trim at top to make look like wall) if the next buyer of your house wants to reclaim the room to its original size..

Old 06-19-2020, 11:46 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I didn't think about electricity, as the existing walls have plenty of outlets for my needs (both on the bedroom side and the office side of the room). And I was planning on putting in a large passthrough window in the office to overlook down on our living room (to let some natural light in the room), so I thought that would make it open enough to not need its own HVAC vent.

This is why I'm not a professional. I appreciate the responses.
Any structural change usually requires a permit. There are some exceptions, but if you are talking about altering rooms by building something permanent such as a wall-- I am pretty sure it requires a permit. It's for your own benefit too when reselling the house. If you just build the wall without said permit, how is your house going to be assessed? 4bd? 3bd? Getting a permit, also ensures that you are not doing anything silly that you would regret eventually. For example, when you "divide" the rooms, you want to make sure that all the attributes that make any room inhabitable and conforming by law do not end up in your new "office" room. Such attributes include a closet and some kind of easement (door, large enough window, etc). So do make sure to look up local laws on conforming and non-conforming bedrooms. You do not want to end up with 2 bedroom house, and 1 bedroom + office that is non-conforming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary