Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 6,225 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

first time forum poster here I've been searching the forums to see if there's a recent thread that matches what I'm looking for, but haven't found anything.

I was hoping people could share some thoughts on good neighborhoods that maybe we haven't thought of or seen yet! We work in RTP, but work from home a fair amount of time, so we can do a pretty wide range and keep a 30 minute commute -- from holly springs, to cary, to north Raleigh.

We're a young family, and hoping to find a neighborhood with some of these things:
- private backyards/wooded lots
- pool in the neighborhood!
- new(ish)? I'd would LOVE new construction, but I just haven't seen much new construction without them totally clear cutting the land. If you know of new construction with some trees in the backyard... let me know!
- good schools
- 4+ bedrooms
- price is flexible, so far trying to stay sub-600, but 550 or less would be great!

We've seen some nice houses pop up in the wood creek neighborhood, and we like all the trees they seem to have kept over there. We also really liked the vibe of the houses at The Preserve at Jordan Lake -- but the schools don't look as great, and the houses are a little older. Cary Park looks nice as well.... any other suggestions?

Am I being totally unrealistic? Thanks everyone for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 09:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Search for neighborhoods built in the 90's and prior for more wooded lots.

Lochmere in Cary is my favorite very-wooded subdivision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ktB2dYl-U

Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Just watched the video -- wow! The lake there is beautiful.

and yes - I'm feeling like I have to go with an older home for a semi-wooded lot. So far, the only ones I've found have been 12 oaks (some homes), wood creek, and Preserve. Was hoping to get new home/some privacy in backyard, but maybe just not possible?

Old 06-10-2020, 09:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarie88 View Post
Just watched the video -- wow! The lake there is beautiful.

and yes - I'm feeling like I have to go with an older home for a semi-wooded lot. So far, the only ones I've found have been 12 oaks (some homes), wood creek, and Preserve. Was hoping to get new home/some privacy in backyard, but maybe just not possible?
There are many many updated "older" homes here. I never really understood the desire for new construction.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:10 AM

140 posts, read 144,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Lochmere immediately came to mind for wooded.
As stated, the houses are older but the subdivision is very nice, supporting an active lifestyle.
Also, the GreatSchool (fwiw) ratings are middle of the road. It is a central location for many private schools.

Last edited by enTERPRising; 06-10-2020 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

3:05.... bottom left frame..... that is my dad's house and the one next door that he also built with the same general floorplan for a friend 10 years later. No doubt he sent this picture in with beaming pride whenever the Lochmere PR peeps who put the video together requested exterior shots from custom builders lol.

Agreed Lochmere fits the aesthetic that OP is looking for best; a nicely updated/renovated home there would be a good bet.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 06-10-2020 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Buy a home in a 1990s neighborhood in the low $400Ks and update it to your liking - or look for one that's been nicely updated and doesn't need a lot of work. Lochmere is great, if you want to live closer to RTP there are plenty of neighborhoods along the highway 55 corridor that have large wooded lots, great schools and established neighborhoods with wonderful traditions like July 4th parties, Easter egg hunts, Oktoberfest, winter parties with sleigh and trolley rides to see the lights and "chill" HOAs. Hell I just talked myself out of selling!

Old 06-10-2020, 01:50 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Trees.
Preston neighborhoods.
Preston Village.
The Reserve.

Yes, they won't be new, or even newer.
Twingles is right, though. If you want a nice lot, buy something a bit older and make it how you want it.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Wellsley, Highcroft, The Reserve, West Park are all nicely treed neighborhoods too.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:43 PM

Wow - thanks a lot for the tips! Some of these neighborhoods weren't on our radar, and appear to have homes that have been nicely updated. We'll keep looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary