Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 08:06 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times

Advertisements

Living in Cary and growing up in Asheville (Parents still live there) I can say that a daytrip is *possible* when you have some reason to do so (some business to attend to, a specific event, etc) but it's not fun. My parents will sometimes come up for a day to watch my kid's ballet recital, for example. Or one time in college I had to drive home to get my birth certificate which I needed the next day. A day trip to Washington DC is even possible, if you time your travel outside of rush hour, but again - not fun.

For me, New Bern or Wilmington/Wrightsville at about 2 hours 30 minutes away, are the limit for what makes a purely recreational day trip feel "worth it" and fun.

I have three kids so a one-night trip anywhere never feels worth it either. All the stuff we have to pack to leave, and then unpack when we get home, plus the biological fact that you never sleep well the first night in a different spot, means that whenever we go there we always spend at least two nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 02:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I say possible if you _need_ to or are uncomfortable spending the night in a hotel in "these uncertain times", but if you feel okay about staying there is a lot to see and do there to make it worth your while.

Boone and Blowing Rock are about an hour shorter for a quicker mountain day trip.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
It's pretty safe to stay in a hotel isn't it? Just bring some lysol wipes and take a few minutes to wipe everything down. If you want to play it really safe, bring your own linens/pillows.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:11 PM

I'm not saying yay or nay to hotels, just pointing out that it could be done as a daytrip if repatriot doesn't want to spend the night.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:06 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's pretty safe to stay in a hotel isn't it? Just bring some lysol wipes and take a few minutes to wipe everything down. If you want to play it really safe, bring your own linens/pillows.
I hope so because I need to get away.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Thanks again for all the info.

If I do do this, I'll make it an overnighter, I'd rather not stress over a long drive, and, we've never been to Asheville, so this may be our time to check it out.

It might be a nice change for a weekend, though it's not the best of times for this, and I know nothing (aside from suggestions in this thread) about the area or accommodations there.

This is something that came up suddenly and is time-bound, but also something I can opt out from doing. So I have a day to think it over.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:42 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
8 hour round trips are a piece of cake, I do at least that every Saturday
when I go to take pics. I've done 15 hour round trips in a day, I just have to leave
about 11:00 PM to get where I'm going by sunrise. I say this because I'm
realizing life is short and getting shorter with each passing year. I'm having
huge regrets about all the Saturdays I slept until noon or later and didn't
do anything. If the place you have in mind is what you want, then get in the
car and go. Ten hours in a car going somewhere you are looking forward to is
a lot better than two hours of mowing grass!

If you want to spend the night, then do that as well. A month ago I went to
Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi over a span of three days. I had no problems
getting a room for the night and it didn't bother me at all. A nice bonus was the
fact that it wasn't crowded. I guess what I'm saying is try not to have any regrets
like I am. Enjoy life to the fullest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Does this even make sense from here (Raleigh)?

I haven't been there before. I may have to go there for something on the weekend. Looks like about an 8-hour round trip.

Wondering if it would be worth it to go, spend the day, and drive back.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:59 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Update on this -
Rather than rush an ill-planned junket I was able to postpone it for a week and and will make it a Friday afternoon-Saturday evening trip. Will leave work early Friday and spend the next day at a relaxed pace.

What was to be essentially a Craigstlist transaction (well not exactly, but close enough) can be repurposed as a weekend getaway.

Hopefully there are enough things to do there safely given CV19, and I have a week to research hotels and places.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:16 PM

Way more stuff to do there than there is here! Have fun.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
On your way there or back, stop by the Andrews Geyser at the Old Fort exit. I like to stop on the way west as a break before heading up into the mountains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrews_Geyser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary