Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 09:55 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The thing is, every single year many people die of Flu (and other viruses), and there's never this massive shaming campaign about going out in public or wearing a mask. I get that Covid may have a higher death rate, but I don't feel that it completely warrants the insanity.

There is a lot of hypocrisy.
I suggest that you might want to do a little more reading. Just consider one thing - we have flu vaccines (that don't always work). But we have yet to have a covid-19 vaccine.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I suggest that you might want to do a little more reading. Just consider one thing - we have flu vaccines (that don't always work). But we have yet to have a covid-19 vaccine.
Exactly - flu vaccines do not guarantee that you won't spread the flu to someone. Why do you think so many people die of flu every year?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 AM

653 posts, read 221,269 times
Quote:
The thing is, every single year many people die of Flu (and other viruses), and there's never this massive shaming campaign about going out in public or wearing a mask. I get that Covid may have a higher death rate, but I don't feel that it completely warrants the insanity.

That is the thing I am trying to understand. Who makes the decision of how many lives are important enough to destroy the economy over and shame people over? The regular flu kills 30,000 - 50,000 people per year on average according to the CDC and it is probably much more than that as we never tracked the regular flu the way we are tracking the Covid flu. Why aren't those lives important enough to take some drastic steps over? It's not like 40,000 lives is nothing. It is not like we take any of these steps for the regular flu. Why is social distancing and masks not forced upon us to any degree to help save those lives? If everyone would wear masks and social distancing during the regular flu season, then wouldn't that have the same effect? Why not social distance and wear masks 100% of the time year in and year out? It could save a life. I make these points to get people to stop and think beyond the hysteria the media loves to instill. Stop to think things through clearly and fully, without a political lens. Try common sense. How many lives matter and who decides that?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:08 AM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:

Usually during flu season we don't hear about hospitals getting overwhelmed with flu patients, of people spreading the flu when they don't even know they have it, or of otherwise healthy nurses and doctors being afraid of dying from the flu that they caught while treating flu patients. We're dealing with a completely new virus where we've seen exactly that happen in places around the world and right here in America. I don't think mask-shaming is the best way to get anti-maskers to come around and see the light, but I don't see the hypocrisy in it either.

Last edited by robin3904; 06-29-2020 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Usually during flu season we don't hear about hospitals getting overwhelmed with flu patients, of people spreading the flu when they don't even know they have it, or of otherwise healthy nurses and doctors being afraid of dying from the flu that they caught while treating flu patients. We're dealing with a completely new virus where we've seen exactly that happen in places around the world and right here in America. I don't think mask-shaming is the best way to get anti-maskers to come around and see the light, but I don't see the hypocrisy in it either.
You mean like this? From Time Magazine.

Quote:
Hospitals Overwhelmed by Flu Patients Are Treating Them in Tents

The 2017-2018 influenza epidemic is sending people to hospitals and urgent-care centers in every state, and medical centers are responding with extraordinary measures: asking staff to work overtime, setting up triage tents, restricting friends and family visits and canceling elective surgeries, to name a few.

“We are pretty much at capacity, and the volume is certainly different from previous flu seasons,” says Dr. Alfred Tallia, professor and chair of family medicine at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey. “I’ve been in practice for 30 years, and it’s been a good 15 or 20 years since I’ve seen a flu-related illness scenario like we’ve had this year.”

Tallia says his hospital is “managing, but just barely,” at keeping up with the increased number of sick patients in the last three weeks. The hospital’s urgent-care centers have also been inundated, and its outpatient clinics have no appointments available.

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-h...-flu-patients/

You could literally replace 2017-2018 and "flu" with 2020 and coronavirus.

I totally get that this is a "new" virus but the ramifications of complete shut downs and doom and gloom via the media, for political and finical gain, should not go unnoticed.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:04 AM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
I don't remember hearing about that issue at the time, wheelsup. Maybe it took something like this pandemic to get many Americans to start giving a crap about hygiene and how it relates to themselves and everyone around them.

And there is no "unnotice" happening about the ramifications of economic shut down. We are all aware of the ramifications. Nobody feels good about it, nobody wants it, except for maybe a small number of insane people.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:37 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I don't remember hearing about that issue at the time, wheelsup. Maybe it took something like this pandemic to get many Americans to start giving a crap about hygiene and how it relates to themselves and everyone around them.

And there is no "unnotice" happening about the ramifications of economic shut down. We are all aware of the ramifications. Nobody feels good about it, nobody wants it, except for maybe a small number of insane people.

Because it wasn't election year and the media was on a different failed attempt at making Trump look bad.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
That is the thing I am trying to understand. Who makes the decision of how many lives are important enough to destroy the economy over and shame people over? The regular flu kills 30,000 - 50,000 people per year on average according to the CDC
You are making your own argument against yourself. The 2017-2018 flu season saw 61,000 deaths. The 2018-2019 flu season saw 34,200 deaths. Mind you, these are WITH vaccines that protect people.

Here we are with COVID-19 and we're already at 128,000 deaths and no vaccine, and new cases continue to increase. If we had leadership from the start and a true shutdown we would probably be on the other side of it. But here we are - some states opened against the wishes of the scientific community and *surprise* the cases are on the rise there.

Just to put it into perspective, the wealthiest country with the most advanced healthcare and arguably the smartest minds in the medical field in the entire world is blocked from traveling to the EU because we can't contain the virus. Think about that for a minute.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:55 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
You are making your own argument against yourself. The 2017-2018 flu season saw 61,000 deaths. The 2018-2019 flu season saw 34,200 deaths. Mind you, these are WITH vaccines that protect people.

Here we are with COVID-19 and we're already at 128,000 deaths and no vaccine, and new cases continue to increase. If we had leadership from the start and a true shutdown we would probably be on the other side of it. But here we are - some states opened against the wishes of the scientific community and *surprise* the cases are on the rise there.

Just to put it into perspective, the wealthiest country with the most advanced healthcare and arguably the smartest minds in the medical field in the entire world is blocked from traveling to the EU because we can't contain the virus. Think about that for a minute.
Actually you’re sort of proving his point. You seem to be saying that lockdown and masks aren’t necessary for “only” 50k deaths.

Also covid deaths are very much trending downward, even though cases are trending upward due to increased testing and things opening back up.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:02 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Because it wasn't election year and the media was on a different failed attempt at making Trump look bad.
Yep, the whole world is colluding with the Democrats to make Trump look bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary