Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times

Advertisements

My kid starts middle school this year. Our base school is Dillard and year-round option is Lufkin Rd. Lufkin Rd is 5 minutes from us, Dillard is 25 minutes. (I’m hoping pandemic will end within 3 years.) When application window opened, I applied to Lufkin. After a long wait, the response we got from WCPSS was quite confusing. It stated that our assigned school is Dillard and that our application for Lufkin was placed in “application pool”.

This “pool” was supposed to be processed in April but we only got another email saying the pool will continue to be processed up to beginning of the school year. Online, our application shows as active and status “not seated”. I am unable to reach anyone by phone at WCPSS, their system sends me through a labyrinth of options that ends in some person’s voice mail. No one replies to online requests either, being ghosted by WCPSS, lol.

Does anyone know how this “pool” is supposed to work or has some secret contact at WCPSS where I can get an answer? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 05:51 AM

129 posts, read 116,059 times
I am no expert, we were in private K-8, but we did apply to Wake Stem Early College for Fall. That is exactly what my son's account says, active and "not seated". We only have the option to remove him from the applicant pool. It had the same info about processing in April/May. This is a very small school, I doubt any additional movement on the list, and we are happier with another school he got into. In your case, I believe you would get an email if a seat opened, but obviously things are extra weird right now with Covid.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
I’d email the data manager at the school. Typically, the applicant pools close in April, but they extended them this year essentially until school opens. You can always choose to remove yourself from the pool.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:41 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Agree call the data manager. OR - go to the school and ask to speak with the data manager. They are there in the summer. Wear a mask.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Thanks for the replies! Miraculously, I finally received a response to my online question next day after posting here.

It basically just repeated the same information though that they kept the pool open. Still no clarity on when they will do anything. Quote from the reply: “ As part of the applicant pool processing, the crowding at both the sending and receiving schools is considered. While there may be available seats at the school you have requested, that does not automatically mean that students get seated there. If there is the potential to negatively impact the school they would be assigned away from, then staff decides to not fill the seats. This is outlined in Policy 4150. ”

What the deuce, this basically says they’re going to hold the kids hostage at the very inconvenient school even if the school nearby has seats? What is even the point in having an application school then if they are just going to deny all the applications? It’s a blessing in disguise that the school will be virtual anyway.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
With the current school board it's all about getting the right numbers and demographics into the schools. What's best for kids and families is secondary.

According to GreatSchools Dillard is 50% low income, Lufkin is 16%. If you're not low-income, that will likely affect your chances of getting your transfer approved. If you are low-income, it may increase your chances.

Last edited by m378; 07-23-2020 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
you don't really have a choice. And they do have an agenda as m378 stated. Aside from that they have so many other pressing matters to deal with right now I would not hold my breath about getting this done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: