Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 08:16 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,011 times

Advertisements

(reminds me I haven't updated my Asheville thread on the experience we had there a few weeks back)

When we go to the coast we usually stay at a modest hotel well off the beach in Wilmington and close to Wrightsville. That's because we spend little time in the hotel in favour of the beach.

Next trip, soon, I want to find a nicer and more upscale place, for an occasion weekend, though still within reason. I thought Carolina Beach but seems not much for hotels around there. I've got too much on to scour for AirBnBs, but that might be a nicer option.

It would be nice to be in a place where we could walk somewhere like a boardwalk or restaurant street.

So, as usual, any suggestions are very welcome.

I'd like to keep it somewhat close and not OBX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 08:32 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
There is a little boardwalk at Carolina beach. Definitely not an upscale vibe but it grew on me when we went there. There is a little network of alleys off the boardwalk with little shops, Britts donuts, small restaurants and it's anchored on one end by a Hampton Inn and Suites and a Marriott. It's a VERY small boardwalk, like 2 blocks.

For Wrightsville I like the Holiday Inn. Have stayed at all 3 major hotels on the island (Shell Island, HI, and Blockade Runner). Shell Island is filthy. Blockade Runner is a nickel and dime place and has some odd room features. Going to HI next month and can't wait.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
ARRIVE Wilmington is a pretty cool boutique hotel in downtown Wilmington!
https://arrivehotels.com/wilmington/

I would definitely look at AirBnB's - they are probably the safer option now anyways.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:04 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
ARRIVE Wilmington is a pretty cool boutique hotel in downtown Wilmington!
https://arrivehotels.com/wilmington/

I would definitely look at AirBnB's - they are probably the safer option now anyways.
I would be thinking downtown Wilmington too...lots of places to eat and things to do within walking distance. You could drive out to beach for all that stuff.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:46 AM

1,228 posts, read 798,471 times
The Courtyard Marriott Carolina Beach is a bit nicer than a typical Courtyard, but certainly not fancy. It’s a mid rise hotel and all rooms have beachfront balconies and it has its own ramp to the beach and boardwalk. We were there last week. The small indoor and outdoor pools were open, but the small inside cafe was closed. Followed COVID precautions well. A little more than half of the restaurants in the immediate area were open, many for dine in (varying degrees of mask wearing) but also take out options. Carolina Smokehouse has great barbecue, but was crowded. El Cazador has good Mexican. Havana’s has good seafood. The Hoplite is a great Irish Pub. Britts, of course, has doughnuts.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:26 AM

172 posts, read 145,979 times
We are new to NC so I'm reading for suggestions. I don't know that this fits your upscale hotel but we stayed at the Springhill Suites Mayfaire in Wilmington. It's about 10 minutes to the beach, quiet location with nice indoor and outdoor lounge areas. It's right in the middle of a big shopping area with lots of restaurants and a nicer outdoor mall across the street. There's no beach vibe like a boardwalk but it was very convenient.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:37 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
While not an upscale hotel, we have really enjoyed staying at the Hampton Inn on Corolla. It was very nice, great amenities, great location, and perfect beach at the end of the boardwalk.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
We are new to NC so I'm reading for suggestions. I don't know that this fits your upscale hotel but we stayed at the Springhill Suites Mayfaire in Wilmington. It's about 10 minutes to the beach, quiet location with nice indoor and outdoor lounge areas. It's right in the middle of a big shopping area with lots of restaurants and a nicer outdoor mall across the street. There's no beach vibe like a boardwalk but it was very convenient.
Our wedding party stayed there. It's nice and quiet and new. It's convenient to the beach. Other than that, you may as well be staying in Cary or North Hills.

For an occasion, I might look at Ballast in Wilmington. It's a Tapestry Hilton property, which are supposed to be nice, albeit not 5 star properties.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:57 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
Another option in historic Wilmington is the Graystone Inn B&B. Very nice place and within walking distance of all the bars/restaurants. They pride themselves on their breakfast. We've also stayed at the Front Stree Inn there as well and had a very good time.

Graystone Inn Bed and Breakfast Wilmington, NC Romantic Getaway

https://www.frontstreetinn.com/

Old 07-23-2020, 08:21 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There is a little boardwalk at Carolina beach. Definitely not an upscale vibe but it grew on me when we went there. There is a little network of alleys off the boardwalk with little shops, Britts donuts, small restaurants and it's anchored on one end by a Hampton Inn and Suites and a Marriott. It's a VERY small boardwalk, like 2 blocks.

Carolina Beach is our favorite. While the boardwalk area is not huge, there are also a bunch of restaurants and bars in the surrounding area. We like to wander among the places, stopping to get a drink & app in one place, then rinse/repeat - all within walking distance of your hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary