Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 11:43 AM

49 posts, read 45,300 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3( myself, wife, 1 child)

We are both professionals and total house hold income 200k+

We have lived in Fl our entire lives and are in process of finding jobs to relocate to NC.

So we just learned of the State Income tax of 5.25%(Florida has zero state income tax)

My question is, will my total tax burden truly be an extra like 11k, or are there other factors in play that cause this extra income tax to balance out. For example, will we owe less federal income tax bc of this large state tax.

Disclaimer: we are both in the medical field and know little about taxes and finance

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 11:57 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingaround22 View Post
My question is, will my total tax burden truly be an extra like 11k, or are there other factors in play that cause this extra income tax to balance out.
Copied from: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503

Quote:
There are four types of deductible nonbusiness taxes:
  • State, local, and foreign income taxes
  • State and local general sales taxes
  • State and local real estate taxes, and
  • State and local personal property taxes
To be deductible, the tax must be imposed on you, and you must have paid it during your tax year. Nonbusiness taxes may only be claimed as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), Itemized Deductions (PDF).
Every state must raise revenue in some way. States which levy no income tax might have a higher real estate tax and/or sales tax.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:04 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
We are a family of 3( myself, wife, 1 child)

We are both professionals and total house hold income 200k+

We have lived in Fl our entire lives and are in process of finding jobs to relocate to NC.

So we just learned of the State Income tax of 5.25%(Florida has zero state income tax)

My question is, will my total tax burden truly be an extra like 11k, or are there other factors in play that cause this extra income tax to balance out. For example, will we owe less federal income tax bc of this large state tax.

Disclaimer: we are both in the medical field and know little about taxes and finance

Thank you
Yes you will pay the tax.

You get to write off a little but for us, no kids, and low mortgage, we took the standard deduction.

NC used to be 7.75% income tax.

The flipside of it is you'll get a really nice house up here versus Florida for similar money. And property taxes are much less, although it won't make up for the income tax.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:08 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
We looked at FL before deciding on NC. I did an analysis of total taxes (including state, sales, property, etc.) for both states. Surprisingly, FL total taxes while less were not significantly less than those in NC.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We looked at FL before deciding on NC. I did an analysis of total taxes (including state, sales, property, etc.) for both states. Surprisingly, FL total taxes while less were not significantly less than those in NC.
It's really dependent on income and the house you buy. There is no blanket statement that can be made. I dislike those "total tax burdens" for that reason. It also doesn't factor in the income one may get in one area vs another for some professions.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's really dependent on income and the house you buy. There is no blanket statement that can be made. I dislike those "total tax burdens" for that reason. It also doesn't factor in the income one may get in one area vs another for some professions.
FWIW, we are in a high income tax bracket and were looking at houses in the $1mil. range.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your kind response

I understand there is no good blanket statement or value

But perhaps there is a general rule of thumb or general estimate

Thank you

Old 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your kind response

I understand there is no good blanket statement or value

But perhaps there is a general rule of thumb or general estimate

Thank you
The best way to do this is to go to paycheck city and use the paid annually option and put in your gross. It will show total tax for federal and state. It's not 100% but it will give you an idea.

You will probably end up paying more in tax. It may or may not be worth it to you.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
The best way to do this is to go to paycheck city and use the paid annually option and put in your gross. It will show total tax for federal and state. It's not 100% but it will give you an idea.

You will probably end up paying more in tax. It may or may not be worth it to you.
Thanks,
Yeah we did that, it appears an extra 11500 off paycheck

But seems property taxes are a little less in NC

I did owe IRS like 7k last year, so i dont know if that will be less

Plus I will likely take a 40-50k cut in pay

But we really dont want to live in FL anymore

Temp for our kids soccer game this weekend will be like 95 degrees, and this weather stays this was all but about 6-8 weeks per year

So hard to put a price on moving to a place with more favorable weather for our active family( we are runners and kid is active)

Old 09-15-2020, 12:55 PM

826 posts, read 244,965 times
Quote:
Thanks,
Yeah we did that, it appears an extra 11500 off paycheck

But seems property taxes are a little less in NC

I did owe IRS like 7k last year, so i dont know if that will be less

Plus I will likely take a 40-50k cut in pay

But we really dont want to live in FL anymore

Temp for our kids soccer game this weekend will be like 95 degrees, and this weather stays this was all but about 6-8 weeks per year

So hard to put a price on moving to a place with more favorable weather for our active family( we are runners and kid is active)
Have you owned a property in Florida for years and was it homesteaded? If so, you will lose that lower tax value, so don't assume the taxes on a home in NC will be less. It may turn out to be much more that you have been paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary