Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 04:13 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,309,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
That is impressive, and so has been Dr. Leana Wen through this long ordeal.
Except for the whole lying about cloth masks for two years, but we’ll let that slide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 04:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,631,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Except for the whole lying about cloth masks for two years, but we’ll let that slide.
I don't understand how you cling to these incorrect ideas.

She didn't lie about cloth masks. She said that cloth masks are not useful against omicron, which is much more contagious, and cloth masks have gaps. She said we need to upgrade to a stronger mask. I've heard her say in the past that stronger masks are better, but they weren't always available, and a cloth mask was certainly better than nothing for the other variants.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I don't understand how you cling to these incorrect ideas.

She didn't lie about cloth masks. She said that cloth masks are not useful against omicron, which is much more contagious, and cloth masks have gaps. She said we need to upgrade to a stronger mask. I've heard her say in the past that stronger masks are better, but they weren't always available, and a cloth mask was certainly better than nothing for the other variants.
Cloth masks have not worked for any variant - I don’t see how anyone could believe that they have. The statistics continually prove that that don’t make any difference. How could they? Covid is and has always spread via aerosols - this is not new with Omicron. Lose fitting masks with enormous gaps don’t stop aerosols. Yes, they may help in the extremely rare case that someone coughs or sneezes directly on you, ie large droplets.

I don’t buy that the surgical masks work either, again because there are massive gaps. A properly fitted N95 style mask seems logically to be the only thing that would ever work at all. But look at the people wearing them, most do not fit correctly.

There are still people today that really think that masks, even crappy cloth masks, are the end all be all. As in if you wear one, you won’t get Covid, and you won’t spread it. People are way overly confident in these things, and it may actually make things worse. I don’t wear a mask anymore in most situations, but I’m cognizant of where I am and the people around me. Some people with masks just think they’re immune with that floppy piece of nothing on their face.

For the record N95 masks were only “not available” at the very beginning of the pandemic. If masks worked and the government wanted to stop Covid, then they’d replace free testing with free masks. It’d certainly be cheaper.

Last edited by m378; 12-27-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-27-2021, 06:31 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,351,920 times
Quote:
Cloth masks have not worked for any variant - I don’t see how anyone could believe that they have. The statistics continually prove that that don’t make any difference. How could they? Covid is and has always spread via aerosols - this is not new with Omicron. Lose fitting masks with enormous gaps don’t stop aerosols. Yes, they may help in the extremely rare case that someone coughs or sneezes directly on you, ie large droplets.

I don’t buy that the surgical masks work either, again because there are massive gaps. A properly fitted N95 style mask seems logically to be the only thing that would ever work at all. But look at the people wearing them, most do not fit correctly.

There are still people today that really think that masks, even crappy cloth masks, are the end all be all. As in if you wear one, you won’t get Covid, and you won’t spread it. People are way overly confident in these things, and it may actually make things worse. I don’t wear a mask anymore in most situations, but I’m cognizant of where I am and the people around me. Some people with masks just think they’re immune with that floppy piece of nothing on their face.

For the record N95 masks were only “not available” at the very beginning of the pandemic. If masks worked and the government wanted to stop Covid, then they’d replace free testing with free masks. It’d certainly be cheaper.
Studies on making in schools contradict this. The majority of kids I see at our schools are using cloth masks, including mine. I know you are not talking about school specifically and I understand that stronger masks would be better now but I would not say masking is ineffective. I agree that masks do not make a person invincible but I think they can still be effective and yes, they do need to fit properly.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...l-masking.html

https://corporate.dukehealth.org/new...-delta-variant

Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Studies on making in schools contradict this. The majority of kids I see at our schools are using cloth masks, including mine. I know you are not talking about school specifically and I understand that stronger masks would be better now but I would not say masking is ineffective. I agree that masks do not make a person invincible but I think they can still be effective and yes, they do need to fit properly.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...l-masking.html

https://corporate.dukehealth.org/new...-delta-variant
So lets assume that cloth masks work some, and N95 masks work much better. Why just now, with a variant that is much less severe, and with the majority of the population vaccinated, are they recommending people wear N95's? It was never a supply issue past like June of 2020.

Covid logic rarely makes sense. It's so frustrating.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:20 PM

428 posts, read 226,559 times
Quote:

And there are still people today who think wearing a mask makes you a sheeple. Some try to hide such views, but they still leak out at the seams at times.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:20 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,961,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
And there are still people today who think wearing a mask makes you a sheeple. Some try to hide such views, but they still leak out at the seams at times.
No self control. It just oozes right out of’em

Old 12-28-2021, 07:27 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,746,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
No self control. It just oozes right out of’em
Really wish that portion of the population was just a drop in the bucket.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:00 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,746,602 times
Looks like we're starting to see some terrible numbers and fallout from holiday times:
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/1-o...tive/20053082/

Also at this point I have no words for this dumbness:
Quote:
The number of people who are hospitalized with coronavirus jumped by 300 people since Wednesday, which is an 18% increase.

Statewide, there are only 541 ICU beds left as more coronavirus patients fill beds.

A quarter of all people hospitalized in the state have COVID-19 and the majority of those people are unvaccinated.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Looks like we're starting to see some terrible numbers and fallout from holiday times:
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/1-o...tive/20053082/

Also at this point I have no words for this dumbness:
What is "the majority", did they say? Nope, doesn't look like it.

51% is a lot different than 95%, but we'll never know from that article at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary