Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 12:28 PM

9,784 posts, read 15,851,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I saw a quote recently about Rage Against the Machine (a personal fav of mine. Still remember vividly the day I heard Evil Empire in Middle School) that applies to the essay from Isaac you reference above.

The greatest thing about Rage's lyrics is they're still relevant today. The saddest thing about Rage's lyrics is they're still relevant today

Isaac wrote that essay in 1980...you could read it now and be fairly convinced he wrote it at any point in the last week, month, year, 2,5,10,15,20,25 years.
Watch All in the Family sometime. Archie and Meathead are arguing over the exact same issues that are hot topics today - the environment, communism, racial injustice, gun control, inflation, religion, etc. It's uncanny how relevant it still is. Take away the bellbottoms, and it could be a modern show, yet it is over 50 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuiuTPBmlws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 06:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,324,530 times
Looks like the tide is finally starting to turn in regards to masks in schools. Curious to see how it takes NC/Wake.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:07 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,882,911 times
For those In The Know in this forum, any recommendations for oximeters from personal experience? From the reviews there is a wide range of accounts on accuracy.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:28 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,079,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Looks like the tide is finally starting to turn in regards to masks in schools. Curious to see how it takes NC/Wake.
My youngest is in private school and has been mask free all year. No big outbreaks or anything out of the ordinary. My oldest is not in private and has been masked all year. My youngest has been sent home once in September for possible exposure. My oldest just hit the fourth time being out for possible exposure this past week.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:52 AM

Not that we didn't already know this was the case, but a UK study showed that up to 1/3 of PCR positive tests were not contagious:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/med...ous/ar-AATuc1l

Old 02-08-2022, 08:39 AM

1,343 posts, read 736,813 times
Quote:
If you're referring to the states that just announced dates to lift their statewide school masks requirements and/or indoor mask mandates, NC already dropped those last year. Those states will just be in the same place we've already been in for a while now which is leaving decisions regarding masks to the school districts and to municipalities.

I'm sure some school districts here will start dropping their requirements or adjusting their policies though as cases continue to decline and vaccination rates continue to increase. That said, I'm sure there will be a political element to those decisions. As someone here said, everything is political, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more rural/conservative leaning districts to go first and more urban/liberal leaning districts to go later or at least take a more gradual approach.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
If you're referring to the states that just announced dates to lift their statewide school masks requirements and/or indoor mask mandates, NC already dropped those last year. Those states will just be in the same place we've already been in for a while now which is leaving decisions regarding masks to the school districts and to municipalities.

I'm sure some school districts here will start dropping their requirements or adjusting their policies though as cases continue to decline and vaccination rates continue to increase. That said, I'm sure there will be a political element to those decisions. As someone here said, everything is political, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more rural/conservative leaning districts to go first and more urban/liberal leaning districts to go later or take a more gradual approach.
Correct, but Wake refuses to do anything except follow the NCDHHS toolkit, so while it's the county's choice, that's not the case in Wake. They won't do anything until the toolkit changes, which is written by the state. The state needs to step up and make the change, or the county needs to ignore the old, outdated, non-scientific guidance.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:16 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times
Quote:
It was at the meeting on February 1st. It was noted that the NCDHHS recommends requiring masks for all unvaccinated individuals until transmission levels are low, so I assume that's why they've been going with that level. While they could make masks optional for vaccinated individuals if levels dropped to moderate, it would be difficult if not impossible to enforce a mask requirement for some and not for all.
Hearing that Baldwin and County Commissioners (or at least Calabria) are meeting today, I was reminded - you're talking about School Board, yes?

I'll go look up the Board meeting. I look up the County guidelines, and they are still < 50 cases/100K.

I didn't think about it, but it's kind of curious that Calabria is County chair and lives in Fuquay. But Fuquay said "nah, we're OK without mask mandates" when Calabria pushed the County mandate. Sounds like Raleigh is the only larger municipality (maybe Morrisville) that still has one.

Cases throughout Raleigh are in the 2,000-2,500/10K (all-time). 27610, which has always been the worst zip, is 3,200 cases. Fuquay is 2,600 cases and Wake Forest is just under 3,000 cases.

Also, when the County/Raleigh mask mandate was announced mid-August, we were at ~500 cases/day. Well, the Delta spike had abated by 9/20 to < 550 cases, and continued to decline until 11/10 (to ~180/day), then rose gradually until exceeding that August trigger December 17th.

So why weren't we without a mandate from Sept 20 to at least early December?

Old 02-08-2022, 09:17 AM

1,343 posts, read 736,813 times
Quote:
Correct, but Wake refuses to do anything except follow the NCDHHS toolkit, so while it's the county's choice, that's not the case in Wake. They won't do anything until the toolkit changes, which is written by the state.
It's the board's choice nonetheless to do so. And the toolkit does change based on current metrics and public health recommendations. Considering school districts have to go on something other than gut feelings, I think it's reasonable to offer guidance.

And again districts have flexibility and don't have to follow the toolkit to the letter, and it seems Wake isn't anyway. For example, the board made a very well reasoned decision regarding masks for 2 to 4 year olds which did not align exactly with the toolkit.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
It's the board's choice nonetheless to do so. And the toolkit does change based on current metrics and public health recommendations. Considering school districts have to go on something other than gut feelings, I think it's reasonable to offer guidance.

And again districts have flexibility and don't have to follow the toolkit to the letter, and it seems Wake isn't anyway. For example, the board made a very well reasoned decision regarding masks for 2 to 4 year old which did not align exactly with the toolkit.
My point is the board refuses to take any responsibility themselves, and always deflects to the state if it fits their agenda. The 2-4 year old masking was really an insane proposal, not backed by any sort of data or science. It was literally sold as "preparing" the kids for several more years of mask wearing. It was just insane, and two board members STILL voted in favor of it.

Masks we'll be optional in Wake schools by November, you can be sure of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary