Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 09:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I think this is the crux of the debate. Some believe in making allowances for those of us who are disadvantaged in some way. Things like braille on signs, curb ramps at intersections, low cost school meals, etc.
None of those things you listed cause an inconvenience to the general public (except for *maybe* low cost school meals due to taxes), or more importantly, change a fundamental way in which humans communicate with each other - by using facial expression.

And I'll ask again - why did these same people not care about protecting immunocompromised people prior to Covid? Nobody has answered that, it would be interesting to hear an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 09:34 AM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
How much of the Wegmans mask compliance is due to active enforcement of the Orange County Mask mandate? We went to Al's Burger shack last weekend and they were adamant we wear a mask while standing in line to order, meanwhile everyone sitting at the table 10 ft away was maskless.
Best I can tell, I don't think the mandate is being actively enforced at Wegmans. I very very rarely see anyone in there without a mask though, but when I do, they seem to be able to just go about their business. I don't think the employees want to get into it since anyone coming in and going though the store without a mask clearly knows what they're doing already.

Not surprised that it was being strictly enforced at Al's though. I think that's the case at most small businesses, especially near campus. If an employee didn't enforce it, I'd expect that another customer might even say something since I think there's a good amount of support for the mandate.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:57 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,954,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
How much of the Wegmans mask compliance is due to active enforcement of the Orange County Mask mandate? We went to Al's Burger shack last weekend and they were adamant we wear a mask while standing in line to order, meanwhile everyone sitting at the table 10 ft away was maskless.
Can't speak to OC but in Raleigh I haven't seen anyone enforce the mask mandate for probably at least a year now. We go to places frequently (including Wegmans here) and while the majority of people are wearing masks (probably at least 90% or more) the people that are not are shopping just as freely/easily as those that are masked.

I really think at this point most people are doing what they want. And around Raleigh most are still wearing masks. When you start going further out to places like Wake Forest you see a few more non mask wearers but again the majority are masked. "To each his own" at this point. I'm not sure why some continue to harp on it.

As for myself, I will continue to mask when indoors especially when there are people around me. It's what I prefer to do and "if" it can possibly help myself and my community I am all for it. If someone else doesn't want to then that is their choice. However if you are hacking up a storm right next to me maskless AND not having the normal decency of turning away, doing it down into your own elbow etc you may get a little side eye from me because I don't want anyone's full force projectiles regardless if they are sick or not. It seems like coughing/sneezing etiquette has been lost by some

Old 02-11-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
As for myself, I will continue to mask when indoors especially when there are people around me. It's what I prefer to do and "if" it can possibly help myself and my community I am all for it. If someone else doesn't want to then that is their choice. However if you are hacking up a storm right next to me maskless AND not having the normal decency of turning away, doing it down into your own elbow etc you may get a little side eye from me because I don't want anyone's full force projectiles regardless if they are sick or not. It seems like coughing/sneezing etiquette has been lost by some
So will you continue to mask in indoor public places forever? If not, what will be the cutoff for you, and why?

Old 02-11-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So will you continue to mask in indoor public places forever? If not, what will be the cutoff for you, and why?
I could probably see myself masking up indoors in heavy populated places during the winter time (flu season) in the future. But I really don't know and am not too concerned about what I may or may not do in the future. I will just do what feels right at the time.

I also found out that the masks have been helpful with allergy season. I love being outdoors doing yard work but sometimes had issues because of allergies. The masks definitely helped out. So I could see myself popping one on at those times too

Masks are not all too foreign to me both from wearing them (I do a lot of DIY projects that require them) and seeing people wear them. In the SF Bay area (where I am from) we always saw people wearing them. It was no big deal. We also saw people holding umbrellas when it was really sunny out too along with wearing hand gloves that go up the arms while they were driving and walking. I sure wish that I would have done a better job at protecting my skin (I grew up at the beach in Orange County CA). Maybe then I wouldn't have had skin cancer and a horrible surgery. Would I use an umbrella every time that I am out in the sun? No. But looking back knowing what i know now, I definitely would have used one while sitting outside for long periods of times (kids soccer/baseball games etc) so it makes sense for me now to do that in the future.

So regarding masks in the future.... I think I feel the same way. If it can be helpful at certain times why not?

Old 02-11-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I could probably see myself masking up indoors in heavy populated places during the winter time (flu season) in the future. But I really don't know and am not too concerned about what I may or may not do in the future. I will just do what feels right at the time.

I also found out that the masks have been helpful with allergy season. I love being outdoors doing yard work but sometimes had issues because of allergies. The masks definitely helped out. So I could see myself popping one on at those times too

Masks are not all too foreign to me both from wearing them (I do a lot of DIY projects that require them) and seeing people wear them. In the SF Bay area (where I am from) we always saw people wearing them. It was no big deal. We also saw people holding umbrellas when it was really sunny out too along with wearing hand gloves that go up the arms while they were driving and walking. I sure wish that I would have done a better job at protecting my skin (I grew up at the beach in Orange County CA). Maybe then I wouldn't have had skin cancer and a horrible surgery. Would I use an umbrella every time that I am out in the sun? No. But looking back knowing what i know now, I definitely would have used one while sitting outside for long periods of times (kids soccer/baseball games etc) so it makes sense for me now to do that in the future.

So regarding masks in the future.... I think I feel the same way. If it can be helpful at certain times why not?
So just to confirm, your continued masking is more about your own comfort, not about protecting others, right? Because there will always be immunocompromised people, and there will always be viruses that affect those people, regardless of Covid or seasonality.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:46 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,352,536 times
Quote:
So just to confirm, your continued masking is more about your own comfort, not about protecting others, right? Because there will always be immunocompromised people, and there will always be viruses that affect those people, regardless of Covid or seasonality.
What do you care? If masks are optional and they are in stores and nobody is forcing you to wear one then why do you care if some people still opt to use them and what does their rationale matter.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:51 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,747,631 times
Quote:
Why are you railing against her decision? Who cares if she wants to mask at any point, ever again. It's her call and it doesn't affect anyone but her.

I really don't get why at this point, after so many years of this nonsense people seem to fixate so hard on paper on peoples faces. Who cares, wear one, don't wear one. It's a personal choice and everyone has their reasons. Some are sane others are selfish.

Personally I'll keep wearing one because I've noticed I haven't gotten super bad allergies or the cold/flu in the past few years.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
So just to confirm, your continued masking is more about your own comfort, not about protecting others, right? Because there will always be immunocompromised people, and there will always be viruses that affect those people, regardless of Covid.
I have always said that I care about myself AND my community. Can I protect every immunocompromised person? No...no one can. But I believe there are "some" things I can do to help. I also think that anyone that has a higher risk should be doing things to protect themselves.

I have certain conditions that made me a prime target for a bad outcome to Covid. Did I expect everyone else to accommodate me? No. Therefore I did what was best for me and my husband (who also has medical conditions) and that meant WE altered our lifestyle during this thing. We ordered most things at the height of the pandemic and limited OUR exposure. I think most immunocompromised people also do things to reduce their risk.

So to be clear, these are just some examples of when I would wear a mask in the future to protect/help the community. If I KNOW someone is at risk I would wear one when I was spending time with them. I would wear one when our hospitals and health care system is overburdened with a highly transmissible virus. I would wear one out if I have any sniffles etc even if I don't believe I am sick. I will STAY HOME when I am actually sick. I will maintain proper cough/sneeze etiquette. I would wear one in a facility where I feel there may be a lot of people with higher risks. I will wear one when there is a pandemic. And if other situations in the future arise where I feel it will help the community I will slip it on then too.

And now I am off to go get some food!

Old 02-11-2022, 04:33 PM

374 posts, read 239,388 times
Quote:
None of those things you listed cause an inconvenience to the general public (except for *maybe* low cost school meals due to taxes), or more importantly, change a fundamental way in which humans communicate with each other - by using facial expression.

And I'll ask again - why did these same people not care about protecting immunocompromised people prior to Covid? Nobody has answered that, it would be interesting to hear an answer.
You won't be able to undo the programming. One of my coworkers would always show up to work sick before the pandemic because he didn't want to lose a day of pay. As soon as the mask mania comes around, he's all about "protecting other people". It's funny how My pleas for him to just go home fell on deaf ears previously. Now he is a mask advocate. Myself, I would never go to work sick because I didn't want to get the staff sick and create a revolving door of illness. I still feel that way, but I'm not going to wear a mask. I'll just stay at home if I'm sick.

There might be a few true believers who hold on to the masks for the rest of their life, but most will eventually give it up to conform with an increasingly maskless society. Just like they conformed to wearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary