Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 05:07 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,245,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So now we are making the leap that masks should become part of the Americans with Disabilities Act?
Maybe you are, but I'm not. Just giving examples of how we as a society have evolved to make allowances/considerations for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
None of those things you listed cause an inconvenience to the general public (except for *maybe* low cost school meals due to taxes), or more importantly, change a fundamental way in which humans communicate with each other - by using facial expression.
I think that these have become so commonplace that you don't see the "inconvenience" or "costs" associated with them, but perhaps you will find like-minded individuals among those who fight ADA definitions to this day.
https://www.theregreview.org/2020/12...ting-over-ada/

In case this is more your speed, there are plenty of groups fighting for their right to send PB&Js for school lunches. That is a much larger inconvenience, especially to those with limited time and funds, for the sake of a handful of kids with allergies.

Quote:
And I'll ask again - why did these same people not care about protecting immunocompromised people prior to Covid?
What evidence do you have to support that claim? Surely you know of extra precautions being taken around newborn babies, those with cancer or other immunosuppressing conditions, the elderly, etc. It's not as if masks were invented because of COVID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 05:42 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
You won't be able to undo the programming. One of my coworkers would always show up to work sick before the pandemic because he didn't want to lose a day of pay. As soon as the mask mania comes around, he's all about "protecting other people". It's funny how My pleas for him to just go home fell on deaf ears previously. Now he is a mask advocate. Myself, I would never go to work sick because I didn't want to get the staff sick and create a revolving door of illness. I still feel that way, but I'm not going to wear a mask. I'll just stay at home if I'm sick.

There might be a few true believers who hold on to the masks for the rest of their life, but most will eventually give it up to conform with an increasingly maskless society. Just like they conformed to wearing it.
Language like "programming" "mania" "conform" suggest provocative and biased viewpoints, which is your prerogative to have and to criticize others with such bias. Was waiting for the sheeple shoe to drop.

Don't know how well-traveled you are, but masking has been a common and no-drama practice forever in some places, mostly out of consideration for others, but of course for one's own well-being during cold and flu and the dreaded kafunsho seasons.

It's a good thing and one that no one is coerced into doing nor have your hangups about it.

And this in places where people don't shout their conversations like so many do here, even more reason to wear one here at times, it's remarkable how few people have the common sense about /or courtesy for the volumes of their exhaust they push in your face during conversations.

I like masks. It's not black and white. Time and place, time and place....

Old 02-11-2022, 05:53 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Why are you railing against her decision? Who cares if she wants to mask at any point, ever again. It's her call and it doesn't affect anyone but her.

I really don't get why at this point, after so many years of this nonsense people seem to fixate so hard on paper on peoples faces. Who cares, wear one, don't wear one. It's a personal choice and everyone has their reasons. Some are sane others are selfish.

Personally I'll keep wearing one because I've noticed I haven't gotten super bad allergies or the cold/flu in the past few years.
Can't rep you again but +1

Old 02-11-2022, 05:54 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,733,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Language like "programming" "mania" "conform" suggest provocative and biased viewpoints, which is your prerogative to have and to criticize others with such bias. Was waiting for the sheeple shoe to drop.
Indeed people who use language like that really ought to look in the mirror because they sound a bit cult-crazy themselves.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:55 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,733,349 times
Quote:
Can't rep you again but +1
Right back at ya.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:33 PM

368 posts, read 229,742 times
Quote:

Don't know how well-traveled you are, but masking has been a common and no-drama practice forever in some places, mostly out of consideration for others, but of course for one's own well-being during cold and flu and the dreaded kafunsho seasons.

It's a good thing and one that no one is coerced into doing nor have your hangups about it.

And this in places where people don't shout their conversations like so many do here, even more reason to wear one here at times, it's remarkable how few people have the common sense about /or courtesy for the volumes of their exhaust they push in your face during conversations.

I like masks. It's not black and white. Time and place, time and place....
Viewpoints are by definition biased.

Masking was not common in our American culture prior to 2019. It was explicitly illegal and for good reason. In many places in America it is not a part of the culture even in 2022.

People conform. It's basic psychology. I have witnessed with my own eyes the conformity on display, when people take their mask off when they realize they aren't expected to wear it. There are a few people who are impervious to social pressure but they're few and far between.

If you don't believe the constant messaging to "Mask up" from the TV, in-store announcements, highway traffic signs, and those yard signs usually used for political ads ..... Well I guess you should consult a dictionary. The only way to get a culture that doesn't practice a behavior intrinsically is to program it into them, and it has been mostly successful. I will continue to use language that is accurate.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Why are you railing against her decision? Who cares if she wants to mask at any point, ever again. It's her call and it doesn't affect anyone but her.

I really don't get why at this point, after so many years of this nonsense people seem to fixate so hard on paper on peoples faces. Who cares, wear one, don't wear one. It's a personal choice and everyone has their reasons. Some are sane others are selfish.

Personally I'll keep wearing one because I've noticed I haven't gotten super bad allergies or the cold/flu in the past few years.
Railing? I respectfully asked a question because I want to understand the thought process, and am trying to understand why masking is more important to people now than it was before Covid. She provided a respectful answer and that’s that.

I realize I disagree with most people on here (and most people certainly disagree with me), but that doesn’t mean everything I write is an attack. I almost always keep it respectful.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2;

What evidence do you have to support that claim? Surely you know of extra precautions being taken around newborn babies, those with cancer or other immunosuppressing conditions, the elderly, etc. It's not as if masks were invented because of COVID.
I’m not sure I’m understanding the question. What evidence do I have that people didn’t care about masking in public places to protect the immunoconpromised prior to March 2020? I guess my answer would be that nobody wore masks in public places.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:05 PM

740 posts, read 474,456 times
Quote:
Railing? I respectfully asked a question because I want to understand the thought process, and am trying to understand why masking is more important to people now than it was before Covid. She provided a respectful answer and that’s that.

I realize I disagree with most people on here (and most people certainly disagree with me), but that doesn’t mean everything I write is an attack. I almost always keep it respectful.
Ha Ha, kudos for your self-confessed honesty !

Some of us think we are being attacked when another poster disagrees with us (unfortunately for our society in general). I like reading all viewpoints because it may help me learn something I wasn't aware of previously with this thread topic.

I fear the day when any one side will no longer tolerate dissension of any kind...

Covid/testing/masks/etc are not a Zero Sum Game, IMHO.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:06 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378;6288227[B
4]Railing? I respectfully asked a question because I want to understand the thought process, and am trying to understand why masking is more important to people now than it was before Covid. She provided a respectful answer and that’s that.[/b]

But you do not leave it at that. You then proceed to tell the person why they are wrong. Listening and understanding are different than debating. Bottom line we are already in a position where you can do what you want except for schools (which will change shortly) and healthcare settings. I would hope people understand why healthcare settings are continuing to require masking. I am referring to nursing homes, hospitals, urgent care, etc.

There are countries in east Asia where people have regularly used masks for years for varying reasons. I think there may now be some Americans who will adopt the practice. This should not upset anyone. Do as you please and move on. By now it should be clear nobody is going to change anyone else's opinion. I can't understand why people are so upset about what they believe a stranger thinks about them in a grocery store for wearing or not wearing a mask. Who cares, this is not elementary school, move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary