Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2022, 09:13 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
People conform. It's basic psychology. I have witnessed with my own eyes the conformity on display, when people take their mask off when they realize they aren't expected to wear it. There are a few people who are impervious to social pressure but they're few and far between.

If you don't believe the constant messaging to "Mask up" from the TV, in-store announcements, highway traffic signs, and those yard signs usually used for political ads ..... Well I guess you should consult a dictionary. The only way to get a culture that doesn't practice a behavior intrinsically is to program it into them, and it has been mostly successful. I will continue to use language that is accurate.
(horse and buggy owner shaking his fist at those dang conforming automobilers) <insert analogy here>

And again and to herringbone’s point, you are entitled to have your viewpoint and choice of characterization. Your choice of characterization suggests that you conform with those with who characterize the people who see the sense in adopting and evolving new useful practices as ‘conforming’.

It was pretty easy to see those early Covid outspoken mah rights mask deniers as being hypocritically conformist themselves to their own tribes in spite of the benefits. Some people's heads are so far up they can't see or won't see daylight. That’s when I posted that Independence Day rooftop scene meme GIF. Semantics aside, characterizations cut both ways.

But you’re right, where perhaps some of those who became accustomed to masks have conformed, certainly not everyone’s conscious and considered choices fit that negative narrative, the rest aren’t being hypnotically led by the media and the masses. If the latter are 'few and far between' for you then you may want to reconsider who you surround yourself with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 09:43 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,073,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
But you do not leave it at that. You then proceed to tell the person why they are wrong. Listening and understanding are different than debating. Bottom line we are already in a position where you can do what you want except for schools (which will change shortly) and healthcare settings. I would hope people understand why healthcare settings are continuing to require masking. I am referring to nursing homes, hospitals, urgent care, etc.

There are countries in east Asia where people have regularly used masks for years for varying reasons. I think there may now be some Americans who will adopt the practice. This should not upset anyone. Do as you please and move on. By now it should be clear nobody is going to change anyone else's opinion. I can't understand why people are so upset about what they believe a stranger thinks about them in a grocery store for wearing or not wearing a mask. Who cares, this is not elementary school, move on!

As someone who grew up in Asia, rocked masks there, I welcome the potential change with the idea (at least in a flu season construct moving forward). I have judged the chit out of our WASP-y "Work Ethic" (I never take a day off!!...brah, everyone gets sick. gross), our corporate opinions of sick time (which seem to have adjusted and will only do more so in a tight labor market).....though the "sending kids to school when they're sick" doesn't seem to have a chance of changing on average.

And as you said, it really shouldn't offend anyone. And if it does, they can kiss my grundle. And I'd have no problems letting them know that, should they feel the need to engage on the subject.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:48 AM

428 posts, read 227,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
(horse and buggy owner shaking his fist at those dang conforming automobilers) <insert analogy here>

And again and to herringbone’s point, you are entitled to have your viewpoint and choice of characterization. Your choice of characterization suggests that you conform with those with who characterize the people who see the sense in adopting and evolving new useful practices as ‘conforming’.

It was pretty easy to see those early Covid outspoken mah rights mask deniers as being hypocritically conformist themselves to their own tribes in spite of the benefits. Some people's heads are so far up they can't see or won't see daylight. That’s when I posted that Independence Day rooftop scene meme GIF. Semantics aside, characterizations cut both ways.

But you’re right, where perhaps some of those who became accustomed to masks have conformed, certainly not everyone’s conscious and considered choices fit that negative narrative, the rest aren’t being hypnotically led by the media and the masses. If the latter are 'few and far between' for you then you may want to reconsider who you surround yourself with.
Cambridge Dictionary:

“conform
verb [ I ]
UK /kənˈfɔːm/ US /kənˈfɔːrm/

to behave according to the usual standards of behaviour that are expected by a group or society

A lot of the folks most tuned up by wearing masks care much more about their freedom than yours. It is interesting how they also get tuned up when they lose some of the benefits of being in a society when they refuse to follow the rules of said society (e.g. being removed from transplant lists or being refused access to certain mass transit).

Obviously there is danger in applying the above logic inflexibly, but there are many false equivalencies brought up in these types of arguments. E.g. BLM wanted police officers to stop killing black people. The truckers up in Canada want to bypass safety restrictions in the latter end of a pandemic that has killed millions. I'm not going to support that any more than I supported the looters who used the BLM protests as a cover story.

That being said, I think many folks are at a point where they just want to return to normal and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:59 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,324,530 times
Quote:
But you do not leave it at that. You then proceed to tell the person why they are wrong. Listening and understanding are different than debating. Bottom line we are already in a position where you can do what you want except for schools (which will change shortly) and healthcare settings. I would hope people understand why healthcare settings are continuing to require masking. I am referring to nursing homes, hospitals, urgent care, etc.

There are countries in east Asia where people have regularly used masks for years for varying reasons. I think there may now be some Americans who will adopt the practice. This should not upset anyone. Do as you please and move on. By now it should be clear nobody is going to change anyone else's opinion. I can't understand why people are so upset about what they believe a stranger thinks about them in a grocery store for wearing or not wearing a mask. Who cares, this is not elementary school, move on!
So you can say things like this, and tell me that I'm not allowed to debate?

Quote:
I've had enough of being attacked for wearing a ^&*$%$^%&(p mask where they are required and where everybody is wearing them. I cannot stand you people and i mean that personally. I guess I'll stop responding so I don't get infracted, but basically, **** off and go infect each other, then move to Mars
Not a single person attacked you, and if you don't like debate, then maybe message boards aren't the right place for you. Message boards aren't supposed to be a place you can go where everyone has the exact same views as you and it's one big fun party where you all sit around and laugh and share the same views about everything.

I hate to tell you, but just like most people that have an opinion on something, you only "listen to and understand" those that you agree with. You debate with those you don't agree with. Which is fine - I don't go and attack you like you do others here, but I will debate with you and tell you why I think I'm right and you're wrong. Wish you'd just do the same instead of attacking others.

As to your other point, I am perfectly fine with everyone doing as they please, if there's no more mandates. What is likely to happen is we will continue to have multiple waves per year, and will end up flip flopping back and forth between mask mandates and not, which is just crazy. I've been a firm supporter of doing less testing - treating Covid like any other virus, and only testing when you are sick and go to the doctor. If we don't do that, we'll forever have case "spikes" and have to do this dumb mask hokie pokie, and I'm not ok with that. I am ok with treating Covid like any other virus at this point, and if people want to wear masks that it perfectly fine with me. That's not what's going to happen though, until we stop the insane testing.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:02 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,073,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Cambridge Dictionary:

“conform
verb [ I ]
UK /kənˈfɔːm/ US /kənˈfɔːrm/

to behave according to the usual standards of behaviour that are expected by a group or society

A lot of the folks most tuned up by wearing masks care much more about their freedom than yours. It is interesting how they also get tuned up when they lose some of the benefits of being in a society when they refuse to follow the rules of said society (e.g. being removed from transplant lists or being refused access to certain mass transit).

Obviously there is danger in applying the above logic inflexibly, but there are many false equivalencies brought up in these types of arguments. E.g. BLM wanted police officers to stop killing black people. The truckers up in Canada want to bypass safety restrictions in the latter end of a pandemic that has killed millions. I'm not going to support that any more than I supported the looters who used the BLM protests as a cover story.

That being said, I think many folks are at a point where they just want to return to normal and let the chips fall where they may.

Put me in this camp....and I was someone that got reported to the mods in February 2020 for being "an alarmist and scaring people". North of 900K deaths later and what I was sharing then, never thought we'd get here.

Throughout the last 24 months, I have always fought against the false equivalencies that filled this discussion (both here and in real life). I remember fondly a 6 or 7 page portion of the OG COVID thread where I was literally discussing how "something that works 30, 40, 50, 60% of the time doesn't mean it doesn't work"). The last few pages of this thread were like a shower turning the MDMA back on at the end of a trip.

Having said that, its time. Yes, we are losing 2000-3000 people a day. That is tragic. But I'm about all out of empathy for those who make choices which put them at higher risk. "At least they died the way they lived" is about alls I got for em. I don't feel bad when some dude recklessly drives a motorcycle without a helmet and ends up having the pavement develop a new paint color with the contents of their skull. Same concept applies here. We all have choices to make, I've made mine. Mine align to the idea that I want a functioning society and to have that, one must do things for the greater good. If you choose differently, that is your right. But I'm done caring about the impacts to your health said choice can have.

Vaccines, therapies, treatments, supplies of necessary items for HCPs when subsequent waves come. Use the tools we have, cut the cord and lets move the F on. Yes there is fluidity to this; things can and do change, and we, in 2022, should be able to adjust to those.

It's time. (My humble opinion)

Last edited by GVoR; 02-12-2022 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-12-2022, 02:24 PM

374 posts, read 242,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

I don't think it's a clear and conscious choice for many people. Conflict avoidance is a strong motivation for the majority of people. The media motivated some people and depending on where you live, potentially a lot of people. The majority of people soon followed.

I never conformed and didn't have a tribe of people who agreed with me. I was bullied a lot in school and being told to do something which I didn't feel was right brought those feelings back. I decided definitively that I would chart my own course even though, like my roommate said "it would be easier if you just wore the mask".

I do feel vindicated now that evidence proves the lockdowns had no effect on covid mortality. Cloth masks never were effective at any point and that has been scientifically proven. I support individual freedom over collectivism and think it should be preserved no matter what. It's a philosophical belief. Others are free to feel otherwise.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:16 PM

428 posts, read 227,599 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a clear and conscious choice for many people. Conflict avoidance is a strong motivation for the majority of people. The media motivated some people and depending on where you live, potentially a lot of people. The majority of people soon followed.

I never conformed and didn't have a tribe of people who agreed with me. I was bullied a lot in school and being told to do something which I didn't feel was right brought those feelings back. I decided definitively that I would chart my own course even though, like my roommate said "it would be easier if you just wore the mask".

I do feel vindicated now that evidence proves the lockdowns had no effect on covid mortality. Cloth masks never were effective at any point and that has been scientifically proven. I support individual freedom over collectivism and think it should be preserved no matter what. It's a philosophical belief. Others are free to feel otherwise.
A lot of folks who claim to be for individualism lately still support tariffs, expanded military power, criminalization of same sex marriage, and the war on drugs, which are all just collectivist ideas from the right of the spectrum. Unless I am confusing you with someone else, I believe your posting history shows you may not be one of those hypocrites, so kudus to you on that even if we may be on different points of the collectivist/individualist spectrum.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:55 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,356,299 times
Quote:

Evidence please

Old 02-12-2022, 10:51 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,238,644 times
Quote:
Evidence please
This story was all over the news a week or so ago

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/study...ovid-mortality

Old 02-12-2022, 11:03 PM

374 posts, read 242,623 times
Quote:
Evidence please
Do your own research. It's out there and published in peer reviewed journals. I'm done doing it for other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary