Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 10:38 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Hope she gets well soon!
Thanks, no fever today, just seems like a cold. But she'll be out of school all week. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 12:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well the ‘Rona finally came a-calling to our household. DD has it.
Sorry to hear that! Hope she gets over it soon and with minimal issues.

My son, wife and two children had it a few weeks ago. Luckily the children recovered super quickly. My son had it the worst but was over it within a little over a week. Each one of them had totally different symptoms.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Sorry to hear that! Hope she gets over it soon and with minimal issues.

My son, wife and two children had it a few weeks ago. Luckily the children recovered super quickly. My son had it the worst but was over it within a little over a week. Each one of them had totally different symptoms.
I know it's crazy.

The one constant from people I know who had it is extreme fatigue. That's how I knew she had it yesterday - she kept complaining of how tired she was. Then when she spiked a fever I was like, ok - time to test.

Old 02-14-2022, 06:25 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Really surprised that the school board is going to wait another month to vote on masks, even though two members requested a vote tomorrow.

Lindsay Mahaffey seems to just do whatever she wants.
They are required to vote monthly and they just voted on 2/1. She is following the rules the GA laid out requiring schools board vote monthly on mask mandates. If the 2 board members ( I have only see Karen Carter named) had enough support they could move up the vote but they don't, so it waits until the 3/1 meeting. You make it sound like Mahaffey is making up the rules, when she if following them. BTW, didn't Karen Carter vote for making just a week before she decided she wanted to hold another vote?

Old 02-14-2022, 06:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
They are required to vote monthly and they just voted on 2/1. She is following the rules the GA laid out requiring schools board vote monthly on mask mandates. If the 2 board members ( I have only see Karen Carter named) had enough support they could move up the vote but they don't, so it waits until the 3/1 meeting. You make it sound like Mahaffey is making up the rules, when she if following them. BTW, didn't Karen Carter vote for making just a week before she decided she wanted to hold another vote?
They are required to vote at LEAST monthly. There is nothing to stop them from voting again if things have changed.

Much has changed in the past week.

Old 02-14-2022, 06:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
End of last week, the Wake Co cases were the same as late Feb 2021.

Wake Co/WCPSS/Raleigh (if you're one of us) made a mistake by:

a. ever having students masked up after Sept 30*.
b. continuing the Aug/Sept mask mandates past the end of September.

*and that's just to assuage the "teachers". They all had the chance to get vaxxed and boosted by then.

There's never been some huge uptick in ICU or deaths among the < 17 crowd.

Where was the "close schools last and open them first" standard guidance?

Old 02-14-2022, 07:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
NC is now up to 45 counties that are mask optional or will be within the next month. Voting once a month is not sufficient at this point.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
the various geographies:

US: Case rate of 240K/1MM = 24%; Death rate of 2,856/1MM
NC: case rate of 242K/1MM - 24%; death rate of 2,077/1MM
Wake County: 221K/1MM - 22%; death rate of 1,000/1MM

it's time for Jim Martin, Matt Calabria and MAB to declare victory and make everything optional.

I would rather them be disgustingly political and claim their policies worked and that's why Wake County was ~1/3 of US case fatality rate than see them extend this **** 2 more weeks.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:28 AM

The whole thing is such a joke. The schools don't care and don't even want to know about cases and make up their own rules when their is an exposure. DD has been exposed so many times this year, sometimes different exposures within days and every time it's a different rule. My sister has had a number of positives in her class, which the kids have told her, and when she asks the office if they want the info they're like "nope".

My DD wears a mask everywhere she goes. Literally everywhere, if she's at a restaurant she doesn't take it off till she gets her food. She's asleep down the hall having gone to bed with a 100.4 temp last night.

Let's stop this charade already.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:17 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Well the ‘Rona finally came a-calling to our household. DD has it.
Quote:
The whole thing is such a joke. The schools don't care and don't even want to know about cases and make up their own rules when their is an exposure. DD has been exposed so many times this year, sometimes different exposures within days and every time it's a different rule. My sister has had a number of positives in her class, which the kids have told her, and when she asks the office if they want the info they're like "nope".

My DD wears a mask everywhere she goes. Literally everywhere, if she's at a restaurant she doesn't take it off till she gets her food. She's asleep down the hall having gone to bed with a 100.4 temp last night.

Let's stop this charade already.
Yeah...my wife, on a weekly basis, goes into 3 or 4 different schools in addition to holding her own classes a few days a week. She's been doing that, basically, since September/October of 2020. She did mostly wear N95's til she was vaccinated in April. She's had coughing kids in her lap that tested positive, had who knows how many exposures, never got sick, never tested positive, and she was getting tested all the time, weekly at least.

A week ago Sunday, she woke up with a cold; both the free rapid .Gov test and a PCR test she took Monday came back negative, she was sick all week. Wednesday she was exposed by two friends, unintentionally, but didn't find out til late Thursday when their tests came back. Friday she woke up and said "Something feels off. Not right, and I can't taste my peanut butter." Sure enough, Friday evening she took another .gov issued rapid and it's shining positive. Meanwhile I haven't gotten sick, despite taking zero precautions around her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary