Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 02:50 PM

22,740 posts, read 36,999,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah...my wife, on a weekly basis, goes into 3 or 4 different schools in addition to holding her own classes a few days a week. She's been doing that, basically, since September/October of 2020. She did mostly wear N95's til she was vaccinated in April. She's had coughing kids in her lap that tested positive, had who knows how many exposures, never got sick, never tested positive, and she was getting tested all the time, weekly at least.

A week ago Sunday, she woke up with a cold; both the free rapid .Gov test and a PCR test she took Monday came back negative, she was sick all week. Wednesday she was exposed by two friends, unintentionally, but didn't find out til late Thursday when their tests came back. Friday she woke up and said "Something feels off. Not right, and I can't taste my peanut butter." Sure enough, Friday evening she took another .gov issued rapid and it's shining positive. Meanwhile I haven't gotten sick, despite taking zero precautions around her.
Same - she's like why aren't you sick?

Funny thing is I ran a low grade fever for a week and had chest tightness and wheezing...took THREE tests over the course of the week all negative. I start to feel better and she got sick.

My niece and nephew had it and my sister and BIL never got sick (pre-vaccine).

Co-worker got it in September. Three months post vax. She got better and her husband got it....husband got better and first kid got it....and so on through all 4 kids. She was dealing with it for a solid two months.

None of this makes annnnnnny sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 03:23 PM

599 posts, read 335,358 times
To my knowledge I haven't had COVID yet, but I just started eating in restaurants again recently, so I'm sure my time will come.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:45 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
To my knowledge I haven't had COVID yet, but I just started eating in restaurants again recently, so I'm sure my time will come.
If you don’t get tested you’ll never know. Which is perfectly fine.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you don’t get tested you’ll never know. Which is perfectly fine.
I've only tested if I have symptoms, or if I was required to for some other reason. Am thankful I'm not in a situation where I have to get tested all the time regardless.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I've only tested if I have symptoms, or if I was required to for some other reason. Am thankful I'm not in a situation where I have to get tested all the time regardless.
Why test if you have symptoms? Just stay home until you’re better.

Old 02-15-2022, 05:22 PM

374 posts, read 242,623 times
Quote:
I had symptoms in January and never tested, just stayed at home. It took two years of not following any of the protocols to get sick. Everyone in my family who was following them got sick during the Delta wave and were worse off.

It's just like getting the flu shot, a total crapshoot. I haven't had one since I was forced to as a child. I remember vividly screaming bloody murder as it was administered. I haven't had the flu in the last 20 years.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Because if it's the flu and not COVID, you can get an antiviral for it. Besides, why would you not want to know if you have it? Now I know DD has some immunity at least for awhile since she's had it.

Additionally if it were just a cold, she'd go to school. She has COVID, so I'm keeping her home. I am completely fed up, but I'm not looking to spread COVID. The argument "stay home till you feel better" doesn't really work when a lot of people only have symptoms for one day. You're still contagious after one day.

People don't test for one reason - they don't "believe in COVID" and don't want to admit they can have it. I know someone who claims to have had it 3 times....this guy is a walking co morbidity, he says "it's no big deal" - he's never tested. Just likes telling people he's had it 3 times and it's no big deal.

Last edited by twingles; 02-15-2022 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post

. I remember vividly screaming bloody murder as it was administered. years.
Over a simple vaccine? Lawd. And you think you're the tough guy here.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Because if it's the flu and not COVID, you can get an antiviral for it. Besides, why would you not want to know if you have it? Now I know DD has some immunity at least for awhile since she's had it.

Additionally if it were just a cold, she'd go to school. She has COVID, so I'm keeping her home. I am completely fed up, but I'm not looking to spread COVID. The argument "stay home till you feel better" doesn't really work when a lot of people only have symptoms for one day. You're still contagious after one day.

People don't test for one reason - they don't "believe in COVID" and don't want to admit they can have it. I know someone who claims to have had it 3 times....this guy is a walking co morbidity, he says "it's no big deal" - he's never tested. Just likes telling people he's had it 3 times and it's no big deal.
If you have school or a job that requires a test to come back, then I understand the need. Unfortunately those requirements won't ever go away until we start treating Covid like every other virus.

If I'm sick enough that I need to go to the doctor, then sure I'd get tested. Otherwise, I really have no need to know. It's the rampant testing that's making it impossible to get back to any sort of normalcy - I'd rather not contribute to it, especially if it provides me no benefit.

I believe in Covid, and I would be happy to admit if I had it (I probably have). We just can't continue this testing just for the sake of testing forever. Now is as good of a time as any to start toning it down.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If I'm sick enough that I need to go to the doctor, then sure I'd get tested. Otherwise, I really have no need to know. It's the rampant testing that's making it impossible to get back to any sort of normalcy - I'd rather not contribute to it, especially if it provides me no benefit.
Well, I want to know. If I've never had it before, I want to know how I feel when I get it. And it would be nice to know whether or not I've got some sort of refreshed immunity to it if the vaccine's maximum effectiveness is wearing off. I've got a few tests conveniently located right here in my house, so I might as well use them.

And I'd argue that the rampant testing isn't what's making it impossible to get back to normal; it's the ongoing high level of COVID-related hospitalizations and deaths. When those come down more, you'll see people going less crazy about it, at least until the next variant comes along. Just like what happened with Delta.

I'm more on team "stay home if you feel sick, regardless of what you're sick with" than "test regularly even if you don't feel sick, and if your test is negative then you definitely don't have COVID and can't possibly spread it." I think the tests have often given people a false sense of security. But if I think I might have COVID, I want to know for sure if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary