Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:32 AM

129 posts, read 117,009 times

Advertisements

We moved a few months ago. Had a decent size lot of bermuda, hated it with kids once it browned, non-stop tracking of it in the house and attaches to their clothing beautifully as they roll and play in it. We moved into a smaller lot with fescue although there is bermuda overtaking front in areas. We just got 4 quotes to put in sprinkler system and fescue sod. Major expense coming from backflow apparently. We were planning to run sprinkler under driveway to water a strip of grass between our driveway and our neighbors driveway, but a friend in turf management told us not to do it and it's a recipe for disaster. He said to make it a landscape bed instead. I can see mulch overtaking our driveway when it rains though, neighbor sits a little higher. Has anyone run a sprinkler under the driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 08:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,310,961 times
I could water my fescue all day and it still dies. Lot is slightly sloped and the water just runs right off the clay.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 AM

43,457 posts, read 77,419,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I could water my fescue all day and it still dies. Lot is slightly sloped and the water just runs right off the clay.
It's like painting.
Prep will make you or break you.
Need to till deeply and add organic amendments.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:10 AM

5,912 posts, read 7,019,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art322 View Post
We moved a few months ago. Had a decent size lot of bermuda, hated it with kids once it browned, non-stop tracking of it in the house and attaches to their clothing beautifully as they roll and play in it. We moved into a smaller lot with fescue although there is bermuda overtaking front in areas. We just got 4 quotes to put in sprinkler system and fescue sod.
Fescue is not a good high traffic grass (eg with kids). At least with Bermuda and other warm season grasses, they can spread to fill in bare spots.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:15 AM

129 posts, read 117,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Fescue is not a good high traffic grass (eg with kids). At least with Bermuda and other warm season grasses, they can spread to fill in bare spots.
They are teenagers now so less of an issue. I really want the year-round green and I will deal with the downsides. I know it's going to take more work though, hopefully no regrets.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:19 PM

94 posts, read 58,047 times
Switched from fescue to zoysia a few years ago and never looked back. We didn't water it at all this year, and it still looks great. I keep forgetting to fertilize it, but it doesn't seem to care. In the winter it turns a nice buff color, not at all yellow. Ideal for lazy people like me.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:20 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforestguy View Post
Switched from fescue to zoysia a few years ago and never looked back. We didn't water it at all this year, and it still looks great. I keep forgetting to fertilize it, but it doesn't seem to care. In the winter it turns a nice buff color, not at all yellow. Ideal for lazy people like me.
Sorry for the newb question, did you buy sod zoysia?

I want to make the same change at our place; all set with the summer water bills and fescue and it isn't traffic friendly.

I assume it will cost me a fortune, hence why it is down the priority list.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:27 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,522,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Sorry for the newb question, did you buy sod zoysia?

I want to make the same change at our place; all set with the summer water bills and fescue and it isn't traffic friendly.

I assume it will cost me a fortune, hence why it is down the priority list.
If you have a sprinkler system, you can just buy seed as long as you are OK with Zenith Zoysia. Empire looks better but it's sod only. Not sure how it does on the fringe areas (ie shade, heavy sun, water requirements, cold hardiness, etc).

In my subdivision, Zenith is green about five months. Six if we had a warm Sept.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,522,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Here's a nice discussion on lawngrass selection, planting, care and maintenance.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/carolina-lawns
I may be mowing my Empire Zoysia too short. And, I am not using a reel mower, either.

Centipede:
"It does not tolerate traffic, compaction, high pH, excessive thatch, drought, or heavy shade."
Read more at: https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/grasses/centipedegrass/

Honestly, in Raleigh area, I would not choose centipedegrass on a lawn in an upscale home, particularly if wanting an attractive lawn commensurate with the investment in the house. It is a cruder lawngrass than zoysia, bermuda, or fescue. That comes with the benefit of a bit lower maintenance, but if appearance and value at resale on an upscale property are considerations, I would use a better lawngrass.
I agree with you - centipede is not an upscale grass, but neither is Zenith Zoysia (maybe a slight step up from centipede). Empire? The Cadillac of warm season grass.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:30 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you have a sprinkler system, you can just buy seed as long as you are OK with Zenith Zoysia. Empire looks better but it's sod only. Not sure how it does on the fringe areas (ie shade, heavy sun, water requirements, etc).

We do have a sprinkler system. And there are some shaded areas that are sorta out of the way (in back, up against neighbors fence) and some heavy sun areas (our house faces ENE, so front gets direct sunlight in morning, back yard gets the afternoon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary