Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 07:08 AM

55 posts, read 62,820 times

Advertisements

Currently have fescue. Stays green-ish in winter and looks great for part of the year but then goes to absolute garbage in late summer/early fall. Requires aeration and re-seeding every fall to look good. Requires a lot of watering. Weeds are always a problem.

Thinking about trying a new type of grass. I don't care if it turns yellow in the winter. I don't care if it spreads into mulch beds. I really want something that requires less watering and something that isn't as susceptible to weeds, that doesn't require constant supervision. I don't need it to look great -- I just want it to look decent with minimal effort on my behalf.

Is there an undisputed champion in this area for low maintenance grass? Or is it a "pick your poison" type of situation where every grass has its own unique maintenance challenges such that it is hard to declare one the clear low maintenance winner?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 07:16 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,165,540 times
Zoysia. It’s a southern perennial grass that goes dormant and yellow in the winter. It’s thick and once established weeds have a hard time growing in it.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:18 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Assuming you have full sun, or at least 6 hours/day, I would go with bermuda or Zoysia grass, then. Probably Zenith Zoysia.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,296,778 times
If you have shade, any shade, just give up.

I re-seed my shaded lawn every year, but only because it's small.

Last edited by m378; 10-02-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-02-2020, 07:31 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
If you have an HOA, check with them before you do anything. Some (many?) Only allow one kind.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,623,303 times
I switched from "builder grade" Bermuda to Zoysia a couple of years ago. This stuff is so think and lush that I rarely have any weeds, and even then, they are only near the perimeter at the edge of the flower beds. It does not spread into the beds as fast as Bermuda. This summer was a rarity with so much rain, but I did not water it at all. Still nice and green at the beginning of Oct, but that will change in the next few weeks as it gets colder. My front and back lawns have partial shade. Not enough sun for the Bermuda as it was all thin/dead in the shady spots, but the Zoysia is fine with it. I keep it trimmed to 3"-4". Biggest drawback is the price.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:37 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,995,053 times
Here is the best reference on the topic - https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/carolina-lawns

I switched to TifTuf Bermuda for my sunny areas. SuperSod at the Farmer's Market has it, as well as a nice display with their other options.

I still have Fescue in the less sunny areas. I think it looks amazing when the azaleas are blooming next to it. Just plan on reseeding EVERY fall.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,493,498 times
The answer is centipede.

Zoysia grows fast and will need to be mowed often, and creates all sorts of issues with thatch because of that. It's also susceptible to cold snaps that can kill large portions of it.

Bermuda (tif 419 or similar) is a little better but gets completely thinned in shade and also grows fast.

Centipede grows slowly, looks decent, and creates no thatch problems. It's basically a crab apple color green (slightly lighter than fescue, but similar to zenith zoysia) but looks similar to fescue in blade width and density. The house next to mine has centipede, they've mowed three times this summer.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:28 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,880,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The answer is centipede.

Zoysia grows fast and will need to be mowed often, and creates all sorts of issues with thatch because of that. It's also susceptible to cold snaps that can kill large portions of it.

Bermuda (tif 419 or similar) is a little better but gets completely thinned in shade and also grows fast.

Centipede grows slowly, looks decent, and creates no thatch problems. It's basically a crab apple color green (slightly lighter than fescue, but similar to zenith zoysia) but looks similar to fescue in blade width and density. The house next to mine has centipede, they've mowed three times this summer.
We have Centipede out front, south/southeast exposure. We NEVER water, in fact we had our irrigation dismantled a couple years ago so we don't have to do the backflow thing. We have it by default, since the lawn was a mess when we moved in and that was the dominant species...DH planted and sodded and babied the lawn and finally got it to grow. Next door neighbors have zoysia looks and feels great but not starting over. They don't water much if at all either, TBH.

We have Bermuda out back. It's been prone to do wonky things when the weather isn't perfect for the given season...which in NC is always...and died right off where it doesn't get enough sun (edges, so don't care). It's fine.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
I don't put much work into my zoysia grass.
Fertilize a couple of times a year. Water if it starts to turn brown. Certainly haven't watered this year. Most years I only water once. It forgives me.
Mow weekly. Have never dethatched at all.
It seems happy to me, even though the guy I paid to do my yard did a real poor job of installation.

IF I had a yard that was totally full sun, I would go with Bermuda. It does require feeding to thrive, but it can be cut like a golf fairway, or even a green, if nurtured.

Either zoysia or bermuda is more forgiving of care lapses than fescue is, and both are very market-accepted lawn grasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary