Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 07:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I will be relocating to the Raleigh area in the next month or so from the Charlotte area. Looking for info on golf courses in the area. Semi-private or reasonable priced private courses. We will be moving to the northwest area of Raleigh. I’m looking for a course that has a good men’s association or group that plays regularly on the weekends. I work so golf courses that have leagues that only play during the week doesn’t work for me. I’ve heard and looked into Briar Creek, Wildwood Green, Devils Ridge and Eagle Ridge. Any suggestions from golfers in the area would be appreciated. Just looking for a course that is in good shape with a good and active membership that plays weekly dogfights and tournaments for members. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 04:03 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
Wildwood Green has this membership drive going on now https://www.wildwoodgreen.com/member...bership-offer/
The course is in excellent shape but the driving range is small and practice facilities are so-so. There are several weekly games going on within several groups ($2 Nassau, $5 Nassau, etc) as well as a men's league, Member-Member, Club Championship...etc. Not sure where you will be living since the distance between WWG and Devils Ridge or Eagle Ridge is about a 45 minute drive. If you were in North Raleigh then WWG. Apex or Holly Springs then Devils Ridge or Eagle Ridge. !2 Oaks (private) might have a membership drive but it's crowded and weekend tee times are tough to get.
I've always liked Brier Creek (private) but not sure what, if any, deals they might have since Club Corp acquired them.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:32 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,927 times
I know this is not even close to your area, but I have been hearing good things
about the Tobacco Road course in Sanford for a long time. I just wanted to
throw it out there in case you ever get down that way. Good luck!

https://tobaccoroadgolf.com/

Old 10-18-2020, 06:59 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
There are also a couple courses off Hwy 98, Falls Village and The Crossings, in Durham that are close to North Raleigh (depending on *where* in North Raleigh you live). I don't know the prices or policies for North Ridge, Brier Creek or Hasentree.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:32 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post

Tobacco road is a fun course. Haven't played it in about 10 years (kids and stuff), bit the handful of times I have played it was visually stunning. A few blind approach shots, at least 1 drivable par 4 and the moving tee boxes and huge greens add variety so playing the same hole on different days can be a wildly different experience.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
We don't live in your area but my husband is a member of Lonnie Poole at NC State and he loves it. It's much more cost effective than many of the privates around and very well maintained. I don't know about a group that plays on weekends but he's made golfing buddies that he met randomly there and he made his own group of friends that play regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post

Hubby looooves that course. He got a hole in one there and they gave him a bunch of swag too.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:48 AM

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. I'll be somewhere in northwest Raleigh but driving 20-30 minutes for golf isn't a huge deal to me so I don't have to be within walking distance of a course. Here in Charlotte, I belong to a semi-private course that has a men's league that plays every Saturday morning with differing formats. The club gives the league about 10 tee times every week for our game. The club also has a couple different tourneys about twice a month on Sundays. It's hard to find a course that let's a league get tee times on Saturday mornings, especially public courses. I travel every couple years for work and always find lifelong friends on the course throughout my travels. Love it. Does anybody have any experience with the club corp courses? Is it worth that membership? Thanks all, I look forward to getting out there and appreciate the comments.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:26 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgolfer View Post
Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. I'll be somewhere in northwest Raleigh but driving 20-30 minutes for golf isn't a huge deal to me so I don't have to be within walking distance of a course. Here in Charlotte, I belong to a semi-private course that has a men's league that plays every Saturday morning with differing formats. The club gives the league about 10 tee times every week for our game. The club also has a couple different tourneys about twice a month on Sundays. It's hard to find a course that let's a league get tee times on Saturday mornings, especially public courses. I travel every couple years for work and always find lifelong friends on the course throughout my travels. Love it. Does anybody have any experience with the club corp courses? Is it worth that membership? Thanks all, I look forward to getting out there and appreciate the comments.

The Preserve at Jordan Lake has a Thursday night men's league that plays from March to the end of October, no need to be a member(30 to 50 players per week). There are 3 member groups that run on Saturday mornings depending on what you are looking for, 1 of the Saturday groups also runs on Friday and Sunday(handicaps are scratch to 18)

Old 10-19-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
The Preserve at Jordan Lake has a Thursday night men's league that plays from March to the end of October, no need to be a member(30 to 50 players per week). There are 3 member groups that run on Saturday mornings depending on what you are looking for, 1 of the Saturday groups also runs on Friday and Sunday(handicaps are scratch to 18)

Thanks! I'm an 8-10 handicap so that would work. I have also heard great things about Jordan Lake as well. Appreciate the info.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
I am assuming Brier Creek is too expensive.

In NW Raleigh area, Wildwood is your best bet. Devils Ridge/Clubcorp is a good course; I have no idea how CC taking over Brier Creek might be except managing the course.

Crossings is OK, but not a top 10 course; Falls Village used to be, but I haven't played there in 15 years.

I'd call Wildwood, Lonnie Poole, River Ridge (btwn Clayton & Raleigh) and inquire about the Saturday morning league/member-reserved blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary