Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times

Advertisements

Doe this apply ONLY if there is a sign over the intersection?

The sign is in English, and today I observed two white vans completely ignoring it, making U-turns.
I suspect a language barrier?

Gee, I wish this was a DMV test item, requiring it to be read and described to the examiner.

Cary is so full of medians that aggravate the need to make a U-turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 02:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
In my opinion it should be the other way around - right turn yields to u-turn. Stopping to make a u-turn when the person behind you is expecting you to take a wide left, is an invitation to being rear-ended.

Cars around here need "u-turn signals" lol.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:37 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
If there is a sign that says yield to right turns for a u-turn movement then you should yield to right turns if you're making a u-turn movement.

I remember discussing this on Reddit a few months ago with someone who posed the question and asked a coworker who did signals and I think she said that there should be signage if yielding to rights is required for U-turns. It does say on page 73 of the Driver's Handbook that:

"A green arrow means that you have a “protected” turning movement with no
other conflicting traffic in the intersection except U-turn traffic that should
yield to all other traffic entering the intersection."

Though I guess that's a little hazy - if the right turning vehicle has a green arrow, that makes sense that the U-turn has to yield to the rights. Though if it's just a red ball, and the vehicle stops and then enters the intersection - who yields to who?

Last edited by pierretong1991; 01-26-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 02:41 PM

257 posts, read 491,460 times
I haven't encountered U-turn (left turn) green light at the same time the right-turn light is also green, other than here in NC. It's so dangerous! When I'm doing the U-turn, I yield to drivers making the right turn. But I do fear the drivers behind me will rear-end my car or at the very least be aggravated after waiting a long time and I'm holding up traffic and light turns red!

Last edited by islander03; 01-26-2017 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: A post answered my question

Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Yep, if the right turner has a green arrow, the u-turner must yield, regardless of whether there's a sign stating so. If the right turner is turning on red, they're the one who has to yield.

I almost got hit by u-turners at Chapel Hill Rd and Maynard twice and finally got the Town of Cary and NCDOT to put up a sign reminding the u-turners they need to yield.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yep, if the right turner has a green arrow, the u-turner must yield, regardless of whether there's a sign stating so. If the right turner is turning on red, they're the one who has to yield.
I guess the question then - how would you know what the signal for the u-turner is? I guess that's the reason for the signage. I'm not sure if it's mandatory for cases where the right turn has a green arrow but I would hope so.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:01 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I guess the question then - how would you know what the signal for the u-turner is? I guess that's the reason for the signage. I'm not sure if it's mandatory for cases where the right turn has a green arrow but I would hope so.
The MUTCD suggests it's an option but not necessary.

Quote:
A steady GREEN ARROW signal indication: [...]

Shall be displayed on a signal face that controls a left-turn movement when said movement is not in conflict with other vehicles moving on a green or yellow signal indication (except for the situation regarding U-turns provided in Paragraph 4) and is not in conflict with pedestrians crossing in compliance with a WALKING PERSON (symbolizing WALK) or ashing UPRAISED HAND (symbolizing DONT WALK) signal indication.
So that suggests a green left arrow can be displayed to u-turners even if the u-turn is in conflict with another green arrow coming from the left.

A sign warning u-turners of this is considered optional:

Quote:
If U-turns are permitted from the approach and a right-turn GREEN ARROW signal indication is simultaneously being displayed to road users making a right turn from the con icting approach to the left, road users making a U-turn may be advised of the operation by the installation near the left-turn signal face of a U-TURN YIELD TO RIGHT TURN (R10-16) sign (see Section 2B.53).
Of course, MUTCD and individual state laws aren't always in exact concurrence, but that's at least how the national suggestions are laid out.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The MUTCD suggests it's an option but not necessary.
Yeah I was wondering if it was state policy to put such signage up (I think it should be IMO)

Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Doe this apply ONLY if there is a sign over the intersection?

The sign is in English, and today I observed two white vans completely ignoring it, making U-turns.
I suspect a language barrier?

Gee, I wish this was a DMV test item, requiring it to be read and described to the examiner.

Cary is so full of medians that aggravate the need to make a U-turn.

The rule is that if you are making a U-turn, YOU need to yield to right turners. But like others said, I think it should be the other way around. I think the right-turners should yield to the U-turners. So basically, U-turners should get right of way at the intersection, because it's much harder to make a U-turn due to space, etc.

That's natural instinct also, so that's why those white vans probably made U-turns without looking at the right-turners. That's what what the rule should be. I don't blame the U-turners.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:08 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If you have a green arrow you have the right of way unless there is signage to indicate otherwise. The person already on a road has right of way over a person entering a road. If you have a green turn arrow, the person making the right turn has a red light (unless they have a green arrow which you don't see a lot around here). You cannot make a right on red unless your way is completely clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary