Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2020, 08:14 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times

Advertisements

Going through some old books, I realized I have a first printing of Truman Capote, In Cold Blood. Pretty sure I picked it up some some 20+ years ago at a thrift store, but alas, I'm not a collector, soooo....

Wondering if there is a reputable dealer who will give an honest appraisal and pay a fair price? Prefer not to sell online, just rather deal with a real person, locally, and who has a reputation to uphold.

Initial research shows that they are selling for several hundred dollars in "mediocre' condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 03:03 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
I would try Readers Corner on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh.

https://www.facebook.com/Readers-Cor...6318659400793/

Old 12-21-2020, 04:13 AM

773 posts, read 645,895 times
Not in Cary, but a good resource:

Wentworth & Leggett Books Durham NC - old, rare, quality books

Old 12-21-2020, 04:33 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Thank you for both replies. I will check out one, the other or both. (Readers Corner is a lot closer to me.)

Old 12-21-2020, 10:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Here's another one:

https://www.eilenbergerrarebooks.com...our-books.html

Old 12-21-2020, 01:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Reader's Corner deals mostly with "secondhand", not "rare" books. I place in Durham is a good bet although I don't know how they have fared with COVID.

There used to be a wonderful place in Chapel Hill called simply The Bookshop, but they sadly went out of business a few years ago.

Let us know how you fare, as I inherited some supposedly "valuable" old books, as well, but I understand the market for rare books is MUCH less than it used to be. I always check eBay to get a very general idea of how rare something is before bothering going through the trouble of getting it looked at by a rare book dealer.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:19 AM

714 posts, read 721,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Reader's Corner deals mostly with "secondhand", not "rare" books. I place in Durham is a good bet although I don't know how they have fared with COVID.

There used to be a wonderful place in Chapel Hill called simply The Bookshop, but they sadly went out of business a few years ago.

Let us know how you fare, as I inherited some supposedly "valuable" old books, as well, but I understand the market for rare books is MUCH less than it used to be. I always check eBay to get a very general idea of how rare something is before bothering going through the trouble of getting it looked at by a rare book dealer.
And when checking eBay, make sure to look at SOLD, not active listings. What someone lists an item for is immaterial. Market value is determined by what items like this are actually SELLING for.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,772 times
eBay has gotten easier to use.
As long as the book is young enough to have a ISBN number, (readable from the book with a cheap barcode reader or an app in your phone), then eBay will populate the listing Description with name, author, page count, description, cover picture etc. One more input from you about condition, and they'll also provide a suggested sale price.
Also, eBay now lets you list books until they are sold, paying their fee only if sold.

If you have lot of books, say 50+, it might be worth your while to get a program I use, https://www.readerware.com that is a database program. I have about 2,000 books, and I scanned each (with a $60 barcode reader) into the program. Super easy and quick.
Then I had it use those inputted ISBN number to check a bunch of websites, getting all the description information, PLUS the average selling price for NEW, Like New, and other conditions. Most of my books were simple paperbacks, but I scanned them all into the program, let it spend a few hours scraping data out of the web.
I went into the result and could easily see which books were of little value and to donate to the library, and which had value worth me trying to sell on eBay or Amazon.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:00 AM

5,325 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Going through some old books, I realized I have a first printing of Truman Capote, In Cold Blood. Pretty sure I picked it up some some 20+ years ago at a thrift store, but alas, I'm not a collector, soooo....

Wondering if there is a reputable dealer who will give an honest appraisal and pay a fair price? Prefer not to sell online, just rather deal with a real person, locally, and who has a reputation to uphold.

Initial research shows that they are selling for several hundred dollars in "mediocre' condition.
Not a book dealer but Sanford Antique Mall has dealers who specialize in just about everything. I would bet if you gave them a call they could give you some contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary