Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 AM

75 posts, read 227,409 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a suggestion for some one to help with my Flat Panel TV installation. I have a 42" LCD Flat Panel that I want mounted above my gas fireplace. There is already power and cable outlets above fireplace, however, I have nowhere to put the cable box. I would like to have the cable box hidden somewhere, or just off to the side on a shelf or cabinet, but, obviously, I don't want the wires strung across the room. I am also hoping to get an estimate on a built-in surround sound system. I live in Fuquay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPmode View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for some one to help with my Flat Panel TV installation. I have a 42" LCD Flat Panel that I want mounted above my gas fireplace. There is already power and cable outlets above fireplace, however, I have nowhere to put the cable box. I would like to have the cable box hidden somewhere, or just off to the side on a shelf or cabinet, but, obviously, I don't want the wires strung across the room. I am also hoping to get an estimate on a built-in surround sound system. I live in Fuquay.
No advice on installation here, and I suppose you're probably all set on putting the TV there, but my advice is just to make sure you really want to put it there. Depending on the height of the fireplace and the height at which you mount your TV, there's a good chance it'll make for an awkward viewing angle when you're sitting on the couch watching TV. You'll be cranking your neck upwards the whole time.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
Moderator cut: removed Consider investing in a good IR repeater system. I put all of my components in a closet.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-06-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: we have our own here, ty

Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM

115 posts, read 464,334 times
My tv is above the fireplace, i thought it would be an awkward viewing angle too, but it really isn't.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 272,122 times
I am currently in the exact situation. I will be moving into a new house at the end of this month and will be doing the same thing. I also already have an outlet and cable on that wall. I was thinking I was gonna try to mount the cable box right under the tv on a little shelf or maybe it would be better to mount it on top of the tv on a little shelf. Let me know how you do it and how it turns out. Don't forget to plug a little surge protector into the outlet and the TV into the surge protector. They make them so small now you should be able to just tuck that behind the TV.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 PM

36 posts, read 153,281 times
Default Remote Components + Hidden Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Moderator cut: removed Consider investing in a good IR repeater system. I put all of my components in a closet.
I agree. My ideal setup (it may be hard to do now - sounds like your house is built, is it?) is the following: Just have the flat panel TV mounted above the fireplace, connected by only a power cord and video cord. Have in-wall speakers around the room. Place an IR repeater near the TV. Have all the speaker wires and video wire run into a closet (or similar remote concealed location), that houses all components including the Cable Box. The subwoofer will be the only thing that can't be concealed that easily. "Stealth" Home Theater

Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,461 times
Just thought I would give a little FYI: Some flat screen manufacturers will void your warranty if the TV is hung over a fireplace.

It's recommended to place a thermometer above the fireplace and get a fire started and let it go for a bit to really get going and warm up. If the temp gets above 90 degrees then the area is getting too hot and the TV could be damaged.

I came across this info when looking into mounting ours above the fireplace, and realized my warranty is voided in doing so. Just wanted to give a heads up!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 PM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I recently had my new 50" plasma mounted on a wall (not above a FP), and it was a good experience. I used Digital Connex (Robert Batts). My install was pretty straightforward. No speakers, nothing fancy other than the TV mounted, wires hidden, and a couple outlets installed. I can't put a website addy on here so send me a message if you want the URL.

Also, here's a big cost-savings tip. Purchase the wires/connectors you need ahead of time as well as the mount. I purchased my stuff online, I purchased a Peerless tilt model and I used Monoprice for my cables and outlet supplies and probably paid 1/3 the price that I would have at a big box store.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
Just thought I would give a little FYI: Some flat screen manufacturers will void your warranty if the TV is hung over a fireplace.)
I think they all should.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

62 posts, read 151,783 times
I also used Robert Batts for my 50" plasma install. Straight forward install as well but well worth the money (extremely reasonable compared to the others out there) for people who are professional and know what they are doing.
Highly recommended and now I highly recommend!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary