Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times

Advertisements

I am not a trendy dresser by any means, but I can't believe people never comment about the hideous selection of men's clothing and footware displayed at area malls. Styles that have been worn for several years in Calif., NY, and Atlanta by the mainstream are nowhere to be found. Looking for an Armani suit? Don't know where to find it. Does anyone miss seeing businessmen in Italian suits wearing slightly pointed dress shoes? And French cuffs being almost common?

The selection at Dillards, Macys South, etc. turns my stomach. All of the men's casual pants still have pleats!

Visit Bloomingdales in Atlanta or anywhere in NYC or LA and you'll see the difference. Life has more pressing issues, but has anyone else felt this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
No disrespect, but I think your mistake is going to Malls looking for High End Fashion in Every Day Department Stores. I have been to Malls in NYC, DC, Atlanta, and LA and the lines and styles carried by the department stores in each is pretty much the same. I think people in the Market for Armani suits aren't into the Mall Scene. There are plenty of people walking around downtown Raleigh in $3K suits and $700 shoes. I'm sure they aren't all traveling out of the area to make these purchases.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Maybe you are right. Perhaps I was taking the lazy man's approach.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I am not a trendy dresser by any means, but I can't believe people never comment about the hideous selection of men's clothing and footware displayed at area malls. Styles that have been worn for several years in Calif., NY, and Atlanta by the mainstream are nowhere to be found. Looking for an Armani suit? Don't know where to find it. Does anyone miss seeing businessmen in Italian suits wearing slightly pointed dress shoes? And French cuffs being almost common?

The selection at Dillards, Macys South, etc. turns my stomach. All of the men's casual pants still have pleats!

Visit Bloomingdales in Atlanta or anywhere in NYC or LA and you'll see the difference. Life has more pressing issues, but has anyone else felt this?
Definitely, you can't miss it. All I can say that Raleigh is definitely not the fashion capital of the world. Selection at Macy's, Nordstrom and Sak's were lacking the latest trends as you see out here in AZ. That is the first thing my wife commented on. And the selection is poor at best.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM

137 posts, read 607,397 times
That all being said, does anyone know of a place off the beaten path with a good quality selection? One of the best clothiers in my old town was not at a mall or in a strip area, but was actually located on a side street right downtown. So how about it? Any place at all in the Triangle or perhaps within a one hour radius?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:17 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,551 times
The Mens Warehouse in Durham has some pretty nice suits. They also have the best ties in my book. You might want to just pop in there and check them out. Ask for Kevin

Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
I would suggest jullians in chapel hill if it is still there. Alexander julian's sister runs it (at least she used to), definitely has amazing suits.

Leigh

Old 12-30-2006, 02:12 PM

125 posts, read 530,220 times
I think it would be good to keep in mind that "trends" are different in every city. What might be an up to date "trend" in atlanta, might not be a trend in LA, or Minneapolis.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Definitely, you can't miss it. All I can say that Raleigh is definitely not the fashion capital of the world. Selection at Macy's, Nordstrom and Sak's were lacking the latest trends as you see out here in AZ. That is the first thing my wife commented on. And the selection is poor at best.
It might not be the fashion capital in the world but what it lacks I would not consider fashion. I am quite thrilled that the buyers here have some morals. No I won't find sweat pants for my 7 year old DD at Nordstroms that read "JUICY" on the butt and I am fine by that! I recently shopped at the Nordstroms for my DH and I found that the Nordstroms here carried much the same as any dept store mens section across the country. What they are lacking here I am not missing. Classic and appropriate dress is always in fashion!

Old 12-30-2006, 05:16 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,320 times
I guess it all depends on your definition of high-end fashion and so forth.

We do have Nordstrom in Durham and Saks in Raleigh as department stores that are high end, to a decent degree.

Even Belk and Macy's have small high-end sections in their mens depts....but you'll miss them if you blink while walking thru.

Most of the malls have a couple of the small stores that are worth going into...depending on your style. (Granted, I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I'm gonna get at Banana Republic with this $25 gift card I got for xmas....maybe half a shirt?? LOL)

In Raleigh, I do know two very pricy, fancy places (independent, not chains) that sell for the younger men's crowd some pretty high end pieces. Wardrobe in Cameron Village (mens & womens) and NV in North Hills (just mens).
Personally, I can feel pain in my wallet just walking into those stores (similar to my last visit to Saks), but it's fun to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary