Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 08:48 PM

23 posts, read 16,947 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am an elementary teacher and relocating to Raleigh this May, when school is over out here.
I have applied in the Wake County schools and am wondering if I'll get a job before the summer starts. I really need the job in order to purchase a home and I rather purchase instead of renting and then hvbing to move again (with 4 kids and 3 dogs.)
When do teachers need to resign/retire by out there? Do they hire new teachers at the end of the school year (which is what I'm hoping for) or do they not really start to hire until the summer time?
If they don't hire until into the summer months, I'll definitely have to rent first, as I won't qualify with a lender without a job. Also how do they work with contracts? Do you get them pretty soon after your hired?

As far as living, I'm looking in the north raleigh area/wake forest/knightdale and clayton. So far, I really seem to like the wake forest area and the schools. I'm originally from NY so I really would like to be close to stores and shopping, I don't want to be too far away from things. I have kids in elementary school (9years old) so Id like to get them active in sports like basketball and football.

I also have two that are looking for a community college? Do any community colleges have football teams? Out here in AZ our community colleges do not. Or possibly a trade school? My older two are just out of HS so they'd like to meet some friends but I figure it will be difficult unless they attend and college or something like that. They both play basketball and football.

Yes, I have my work cut out for me and trying to make everyone happy/

Thanks for any input!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
It can be very tough to find a job without a local address. My sister is a teacher and applied for a year before moving here, no nibbles. Once she moved here she got a job within a month. However, they are building new schools (more in the western/southern part of the county) so that could help.

Teachers can retire when ever they want. They can, and do, retire in the middle of the year. Hiring happens a lot over the summer but also when school starts. Schools take a census every day for the first ten days of school, and then based on their "ten day number" may be able to add staff.

Are you licensed in NC? That's obviously your first step. What's your certification? I know a couple of new high schools here are looking to hire staff.

There's shopping everywhere around here. It's nice that you like Wake Forest, etc. - but I suggest if you get a job you move to where the job is.

The big CCs around here are Wake Tech, Durham Tech and I think Central Carolina. You can google them to see about sports teams.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:40 PM

Not licensed yet, but working on it. Im certified in elementary K-6. Are you in Wake Forest? Thanks for all the great info!!!
Where in NY are you from? I guess you have twins? How old? I have 2 sets, lol.
I'm from Manhasset/New Hyde Park. I'd love to pick your brain I see you respond to a lot of posts on here. How long have you been in NC? How can we exchange phone numbers....hehehe

Old 02-04-2021, 05:16 AM

Two sets! Bless you!

I grew up in Huntington and lived in western Nassau for 20 years. I live in west Cary for 10 years now. My family had already moved here so we didn’t really seriously consider Raleigh or Wake Forest. There are places in Raleigh I like but Wake Forest has never really appealed. I strongly suggest a few visits because while most of the towns are more alike than different they each have their own vibe. Heck even within towns that’s true since some of the towns have gotten so big.
Apex friendship elementary is opening in the fall. I would get certified and get your ducks in a row. You could even live in Chatham County and teach there and bring your boys with you. It’s right on the county line. Getting a job in a new elementary school may be your best bet but that school will also pull staff from other nearby schools which will open positions.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 AM

168 posts, read 267,738 times
AZNC Coming from NY the difference in teacher salaries may be a shock to you. They are not nearly as well paid here in NC as in NY. My husband grew up in Manhasset and I am from Rochester, we moved here 15 years ago and my husband eventually left teaching, for a number of reasons, but the pay was one of the major ones. Too many teachers down here have to work a second job to survive, as the cost of living is on the climb in the Triangle. If you have not already committed yourself, you might want to do some research into other areas...although this all may not matter if you have a second income in the household. Also, the west side of Wake County (West Cary, Apex, Holly Springs) is getting VERY expensive to purchase a home. Maybe not in comparison to NY (not sure about where you are in AZ) but a teachers salary will not be enough to purchase a single family home, maybe a townhome, but they are now in the 300s and up.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 AM

172 posts, read 145,891 times
We moved to Clayton last hear and I teach in Wake Co. We love living in NC! Getting your license and sending in the forms to verify your experience will be helpful to have done before you get hired.

There are lots of openings now. When in May will you be here? School isn't out until June. Based on the way things are, I'd hope they'd hire in May to get that position filled but can't speak to if they do or not. There are some schools in Wake on a year round schedule and some with multiple schedules. I've been told traditional schedules get paid over 10 months vs 12 if year round. My previous district worked 10 mo but made everyone paid out over 12. Just minor budgeting fyi.

We moved with older kids and 3 dogs so I understand the coordination challenges! My son is 18 and daughter in college is 20.

If you have specific questions, I'm happy to help.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:15 AM

376 posts, read 653,805 times
My spouse got hired in I believe Aug 2019 as a new teacher (no experience, lateral entry). We do need teachers here, math and science are most in demand but at a job fair she went to there were a lot of elementary openings. I think having the local address helps definitely.

Teacher salaries are public- Wake County pays the most and you'll get about $40K the first year. If I were you, I'd try to find a position in Wake Forest or Fuquay Varina or Knightdale where housing is less. Once covid is over, commuting from Wake Forest or Fuquay to Cary or Morrisville for example is no picnic- I know teachers start early so perhaps the AM wouldn't be bad, but one after school meeting and you're up a creek leaving at 4:30 or 5.

Keep in mind too there are a lot of year round schools- just be sure to know that before you apply.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the reply? I might just know your husband (depending on how old) I graduated HS in 92. Manhasset is a very small town.....
Are Wake Forest, Fuquay, and Knightdale close to each other? I have seen the houses are definitely less in Fuquay and Knightdale. Are those two areas descent and safe?
I've been teaching in AZ for 15 years so I'm used to the low teachers saleries...they are pretty much the same here. Both states, not like NY.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:03 PM

SPEDTEACH17...I will be there the last week of May. How is the commute living in Clayton and teaching in Wake? Is Clayton really far from everyhting? I have looked at many many homes in Clayton, I'm just afraid it will be too removed and far for me. I like to be close to stores and shopping.

I was looking into the Wake Forest charter school for my younger boys, but cant enroll until i have an NC address. I think with the move and all the changes I'd like to get them into a smaller school. (Nothing against public schools, just want a smaller school.)

I've looked into the Wake Tech community for my older boy. Looks like that might be a good match and they have a lot of student apts off campus so a good way to meet people. But the student apts are closer to NCState then to Wake Community so I guess hed have to take a city bus to school????

How did your children acclimate to the move, Its hard moving with teenagers.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:13 PM

You have pretty much zero chance of getting into a charter school for next year. They could build a charter in each town before next school year and fill it the next day. People are leaving WCPSS in droves due to the handling of the pandemic (this could be a sticking point in finding a job if they let staff go).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary