Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 11:14 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,137,604 times

Advertisements

Our house was built in 1992 and we bought it new. Needless to say after nearly 30 years the old fiberglass tub/shower unit we have has lost its finish and very hard to clean. Additionally in those 30 years we dont think we have ever used it as a tub. We only shower.

So we started investigating these tub to shower companies. A very nice gentleman came and showed us some samples, took some measurements, and finally arrived at $10,000?! Seriously we were floored. A single sheet of acrylic that gets bent into the exiting shape of the alcove where our existing tub sits. and a Drain pan. Very little plumbing changes too.

...But at $10,000?! I am very handy and can do a lot of DIY around the house. This seems incredibly steep to me. Anyone else have suggestions of who may do this at a considerably more reasonable rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 12:15 PM

43,401 posts, read 77,339,508 times
If it is really fiberglass, get a car body guy who works on Corvettes to work on it. Semi-seriously. Or, just a good fiberglass tub expert.

I LIKE good fiberglass for tubs and showers. Seamless, low maintenance, and easily repaired and refreshed.
No chance I would replace it with plastic unless I really wanted a different size or configuration of some sort.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,550,639 times
Clean it real well...then:

Use Rejex! Protective sealant.

Worked on my Corvette, and friends use it on their airplanes.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:25 PM

11,240 posts, read 8,337,851 times
I think I know what the reason is. I'm not an expert, but we had a similar situation. Our house is older (late 1970's) and we live in Cary. I was told that due to code, to change from a tub to a shower would require bigger drain diameter, which is what drove the cost up. We have not made a decision yet, but for us, this would be huge, because we are on a slab, and doing new drain-work would be very involved. Even with a foundation and crawlspace, there might be your extra labor cost.

You might look into pre-fab tub/showers. I think you could buy one for less than $1k, and probably have one professionally installed for under $3k if there are no major issues to fix.

I just wonder if you're running into some code issues due to changing from tub to stand-up shower? That was what we ran into....

Old 02-08-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If it is really fiberglass, get a car body guy who works on Corvettes to work on it. Semi-seriously. Or, just a good fiberglass tub expert.

I LIKE good fiberglass for tubs and showers. Seamless, low maintenance, and easily repaired and refreshed.
No chance I would replace it with plastic unless I really wanted a different size or configuration of some sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Clean it real well...then:

Use Rejex! Protective sealant.

Worked on my Corvette, and friends use it on their airplanes.

It'll stink to High Heaven, but yeah.
I would give it a go before popping 10 grand for a plastic unit.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:45 PM

430 posts, read 286,040 times
I did two of my bathrooms 6 -7 years ago. Took out one-piece fiberglass tub/shower, and put in a new tub and tiled the walls over backer board and Kerdi. One tub is regular good quality, the other is a nice air jet. I don't think I spent $3K on either of them and that included replacing the faucet/diverter assembly completely. At the time I considered making one of them a shower instead, and there wasn't much cost difference but a little more labor.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
I did two of my bathrooms 6 -7 years ago. Took out one-piece fiberglass tub/shower, and put in a new tub and tiled the walls over backer board and Kerdi. One tub is regular good quality, the other is a nice air jet. I don't think I spent $3K on either of them and that included replacing the faucet/diverter assembly completely. At the time I considered making one of them a shower instead, and there wasn't much cost difference but a little more labor.
Well... We talked fiberglass, but the OP has indicated interest in forgoing a tub.

So...
OP being to some level DIY capable, he should do the demolition to the walls.
Maybe install a one piece shower base and backer board for tile walls. Pay a tile installer.
I would expect to be in the $3500 range for a conversion from tub to a nice tile shower. Add $2000 for a good 3/8" glass door option. Makes a shower curtain look good at that point. Add glass later.

Not done in a day like the plastic vendors. Better quality. Not $10,000, either.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:20 PM

63 posts, read 60,885 times
I did this two years ago and it is not too difficult if you are handy. The key is using a prefabricated shower base so you don't have to do a mud job and tile the floor. The shower bases commonly come in the 5 foot lengths and the drains line up very close to where an existing fiberglass tub enclosure would be. Yes, the drain pipe would need to be adjusted from 2" to 2 1/2" but that is pretty easy to do if you cut a section of the subfloor out around the drain. Easy to cover up afterwards since the prefab shower pan is covering everything up anyway. As a DIY project figure on spending around $2,000 to $3,000 depending on whether you want a glass shower door or not and what type of tile you are using for the walls.

This is the shower pan we used. Fit perfectly https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bootz-In...0-00/204329301
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: