Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 03:56 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,548,528 times

Advertisements

As mentioned, Chapel Hill is way more "gown" and less "town" than Greenvile. Durham might be more big-city and Fearrington too small-town for your tastes. I'd think "city center amenities" means you're not a suburban country-club type.

How about Hillsborough or Pittsboro? Both appreciably smaller, but both livable towns. Pittsboro will feel bigger in a few years, as Chatham Park builds out.

Winston-Salem's downtown somehow reminds me of Greenville's (it's definitely helped by the NC School of the Arts), but it's also a substantially bigger city.

There's definitely not a Greenville analogue in the Triangle; it's a primary city for its area, which is a lot smaller than the Triangle. Greenville sometimes gets mentioned as "the next Asheville," along with a few other mountain cities like Boone, Hendersonville, and Roanoke, but none of those are any closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 03:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStatesSoFar View Post
Furman is in another town completely and would not be considered conservative these days, particularly in comparison to Bob Jones.
Furman is considered conservative. I have a high school student looking at colleges. It's not as conservative as Bob Jones, but nothing much is except maybe Liberty.

What town are you proposing that Furman is in? The address is 3300 Poinsett Hwy, Greenville, SC 29613.

My point in bringing in the colleges was that UNC dominates Chapel Hill and although there are two small colleges in Greenville they do not have much impact on the city, as opposed to UNC's overarching presence in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:11 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,260,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Governor's Club is the highest point in the Triangle, so should be the least "hot summer". They have a few smaller homes. My house in Raleigh is 335 ft above sea level. GC is 500-600 ft.

Fearrington, a little further from Chapel Hill, certainly has what you're looking for, it's a matter of architecture. 400-500 ft

Greenville is 800+ ft.

What are your desires in re: yard/lot size?
Isn't the highest point in the Triangle Occoneechee Mountain in Hillsborough?

I've visited Greenville, SC and the downtown there is different than CH. Durham might be a good comparison for Triangle towns.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:26 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,874,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Isn't the highest point in the Triangle Occoneechee Mountain in Hillsborough?

I've visited Greenville, SC and the downtown there is different than CH. Durham might be a good comparison for Triangle towns.
I would say that Durham compares more with Spartanburg. There is really nothing similar to Greenville. One of the things I loved about Greenville is that it is a small city that offers most of what you would find in a bigger city, with a stunning downtown and proximity to the mountains. Anywhere I go I will meet someone I know. It is lacking a lot of the culture that the Triangle has, however, and outside of downtown can be quite unattractive, but there is a lot going on that will hopefully change that. It is definitely more Southern, and people are generally friendly. There is a lot of trash, though, and my son has a big issue with the fact that anytime we go walking, whether it is on a trail or downtown, there is dog poop.

OP when I first moved here I visited Raleigh quite often, and you do get used to the drive. So I would say that if Greenville appeals to you more then visit it flor at least a week, and compare it to the Triangle before you decide.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:16 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,251,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Furman is considered conservative. I have a high school student looking at colleges. It's not as conservative as Bob Jones, but nothing much is except maybe Liberty.

What town are you proposing that Furman is in? The address is 3300 Poinsett Hwy, Greenville, SC 29613.

My point in bringing in the colleges was that UNC dominates Chapel Hill and although there are two small colleges in Greenville they do not have much impact on the city, as opposed to UNC's overarching presence in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.
I wonder if they got confused with Furman the town and figured the University was located there?

If that is the case, I can see how that can be confusing to those who aren't familiar with the university and/or the Greenville area, but Furman the town is barely a dot on the map so who knows.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:39 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
I have never been to Greenville, SC (on my list of places to visit), but if you are open to going smaller, city-wise, I would check out Hillsborough. It is one of the quainter towns in the Triangle. Nice downtown with a library, restaurants, a grocery store, and much more, as well as a pretty Riverwalk that is adjacent to downtown. Many of the buildings are historic - built in the 1700s and 1800s. It's quite charming. But population is only 6000 or so. If you want to go bigger, then downtown Durham, Raleigh (I'm partial to the Cameron Village area), or Winston Salem in the Triad would be my picks.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:14 AM

119 posts, read 81,354 times
Greenville punches way above its population weight due to S Carolina annexation laws. It only has 68 thousand in Greenville proper. Greenville county getting close to 600k, Greenville MSA is 950k and around 1.4 million if combined with Spartanburg MSA. I have family there and visit quite often. Downtown GVille is very nice. I have taken several guest over the years, and all have been surprised and very impressed with it. Makes for a great weekend getaway.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM

70 posts, read 67,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Furman is located within the city limits of Travelers Rest.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:02 AM

119 posts, read 81,354 times
Quote:
Yep. Like Wake Forest did in the 50’s , FU moved their campus from DT Greenville around 1960 iirc

Old 02-13-2021, 02:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Quote:
That's not what their website says. But at any rate that doesn't change my point, which was although there are colleges and universities in or near Greenville they don't have much impact on the city unlike UNC's impact on Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary