Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 12:54 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Of course, I understand why Chapel Hill is selective in what businesses it allows. Businesses hire workers and workers bring values. Chapel Hill wants businesses that will bring in workers that have Chapel Hill values. That's why you see projects like the Buc-ee's being sidelined but more medical or Google jobs are cheered on. They openly admitted they "didn't need" anymore gas station jobs but what they really meant to say is, we want to keep Orange County white collar and educated.
I don't think its about gas station workers, as much as it's about the visual appeal of the town. I agree about the Buc'ees though. Unfortunate considering how far out of town it is; not like you'd be driving off campus from a basketball game and passing it right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Money follows demand, businesses will do what they need to do to be where demand is, there is a big demand to be on Franklin Street...or basically anywhere in Chapel Hill.

Try to say that with a straight face while you walk past the boarded up and vacant businesses up and down Franklin Street. Everyone who has lived here knows that Franklin St. is a death sentence for most businesses because its expensive and has limited parking. The college student crowd doesn't generate the type of revenue that young and middle aged professionals would. Those people are driving to Durham or places on the outskirts of town.
Eh...It's a pandemic. People travel to the University professionally. Parents travel to visit. People travel for Basketball games and other events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Also, I am sure there are smart, educated people who oversee CH city planning. If they do not want a Bojangles in their town -- they are doing their due diligence, not just picking their noses, don't you think? I am sure they did their R&D to see if there is a demand for another gas station/Bojangles/Harris Teeter/whatever. They are dime a dozen everywhere, so why should they give that good location to Bojangles or another gas station, or a big box grocery store instead of a unique local small business or a service company?
A couple thoughts on that...it isn't necessarily inherently Chapel Hill's to give assuming the city doesn't own the land. And Harris Teeter (Kroger) or a Bojangles franchisee has done a lot of due diligence before investing many millions into opening a new location. It isn't exactly a taco stand.

And I do understand that municipalites have a vested interest in what businesses are there and where they are, and in maintaining an aesthetic, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing wrong with saying "this is a really bad place for a gas station/grocery store due to traffic patterns," or requiring a that a business comply with a UDO that means it looks like it belongs. People rag on Cary's Beigeness, but it beats the alternative in many cases.

You have 12,000 employees of the University. You have a 900+ bed hospital/Medical Center which employs another 7000 people.

You have a university with an undergrad population of 20K and another 10K in graduate students. The city has a population of 55K or thereabouts.

Saying, "we don't need another gas station or grocery store" is mostly good for the existing gas station/grocery store. The residents? Not so much. Any time you've ever been somewhere with a lack of choices, consumers ultimately pay. I grew up in a town that for whatever reason, only had two grocery stores, one very upscale, one "regular" (like Lowes Foods here.) Only after two new stores opened in town did we realize that we were really overpaying at the one main store in town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Finally, CH actually does a very good job with bike lanes, sidewalks, etc. Had I lived in CH, I'd try to walk or bike everywhere. I actually did live in CH for about 6 months when I moved to this area, and that's exactly what I did most of the time. So maybe that's the point? Why keep building useless, environmentally unfriendly parking lots, instead you could have small stores with less parking and encourage people walk everywhere? They should have more park-and-ride or park-and-bike areas instead. That, I consider a better city planning. Why fill it with cars when you can fill it foot traffic? Good planning and design should change people's behavior to better, and if that's what they are doing, I am all for it.
There's nothing wrong with the bolded. That said, clinging to that idealism becomes problematic when it ignores the realities of CH as it is. Chapel Hill has a population density that's less than Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Raleigh... Outside of the downtown core and University area that becomes very hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 PM

615 posts, read 542,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferner1 View Post
yes Durham is good comparison, they are doing same stuff. But Durham is cooler..

I have not spent much time in Greenville but even less in Durham. Durham may be more cool. But Greenville's downtown has won numerous awards. And it is quite vibrant for an MSA of slightly less than 1 million.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
Greenville punches way above its population weight due to S Carolina annexation laws. It only has 68 thousand in Greenville proper. Greenville county getting close to 600k, Greenville MSA is 950k and around 1.4 million if combined with Spartanburg MSA. I have family there and visit quite often. Downtown GVille is very nice. I have taken several guest over the years, and all have been surprised and very impressed with it. Makes for a great weekend getaway.
I think Greenville checks a number of the boxes that he is requesting. It will be less expensive, a slower pace, better traffic, and it has a great downtown. It is close to the mountains and is great for hiking. There is much more to Greenville than Chapel Hill because as already mentioned Chapel Hill is a college town. He has no ties to the university so I doubt that he would have much interest in Chapel Hill. Durham is more than a college town, but Durham has a much higher crime rate than Greenville. Greenville would be a good location although it is a good long drive to the Triangle.

As mentioned earlier, Winston-Salem may be a good choice also since it is also close to mountains, has a cheaper cost of living, less traffic than Triangle, and a decent downtown. And W-S is closer to the Triangle.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Noooooooo... maybe you don't understand how liberal/progressive Chapel Hill is. It is not a "mixed bag" here. There are few Republicans. I cannot remember in my lifetime when a Republican won any office in Chapel Hill. I think there was a libertarian about 10-20 years ago. Blanking on his name right now, but Chapel Hill is generally all in for the Dems, the Greens, etc. It is not a "mixed bag" and to quote me and say that what I said about Chapel Hill being nothing like Greenville SC is not true is misleading at best. Everything I said is absolutely true. I only stated the facts. Is Greenville not home to Bob Jones and Furman??

This is not a matter of opinion. You can look up the election data:

Orange County NC: https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=ALL&contest=0 75% Biden 24% Trump

Greenville County SC (home of Greenville) https://www.enr-scvotes.org/SC/Green...7/#/?undefined Trump 58%, Biden 40%; Straight Party Republican 65%, Straight Party Dem 35%
I noticed on another post on this forum and just recently that someone considering moving to the Triangle asked if he would be comfortable there since he is a conservative. Most people emphasized that it would be no problem. But with the hate being shown on this particular forum, it does not appear that is totally true. I guess my question is - which is it? Are you a welcoming community for all? It doesn't appear that way with some of the comments on here. Why appear to be welcoming to a conservative considering moving there, but you appear to dislike or maybe hate conservatives when a liberal is considering moving to the Triangle? And if the Triangle which is liberal can be accommodating to a conservative then why can't conservative Greenville be accommodating to a liberal? It sounds like some of you would do quite well working for the local chamber of commerce.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrivedinNC View Post
Dude. You are a TOTAL conservative. "Outsiders"? Liberals don't use that word. Every person I've ever heard say "outsiders" has been a Republican and usually a very conservative Republican.

Greenville is a "mixture of stuff"? The County went 2-1 Trump over Biden, every county that surrounds Greenville in the greater Greenville metropolitan area went 2-1 Trump over Biden. What is it a mixture of, light gun enthusiasts and outright arsenal packing gun nuts?

I have little doubt you prefer the "mixture" of "mostly conservative" "stuff" that is Greenville and the surrounding areas. Little doubt at all. But I seriously doubt any part of that "mixture" resembles Chapel Hill to any measurable degree.

But keep playing the "middle of the road politically" game, it's good for the RE business, amirite? But your posts have a tell, just sayin'.
Dude, I can tell that you arrived from somewhere else. In the context "outsider" was used, I believe that most people from this area would understand that he was referring to someone not living in Greenville. You are the one -off base- not him.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,377,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I noticed on another post on this forum and just recently that someone considering moving to the Triangle asked if he would be comfortable there since he is a conservative. Most people emphasized that it would be no problem. But with the hate being shown on this particular forum, it does not appear that is totally true. I guess my question is - which is it? Are you a welcoming community for all? It doesn't appear that way with some of the comments on here. Why appear to be welcoming to a conservative considering moving there, but you appear to dislike or maybe hate conservatives when a liberal is considering moving to the Triangle? And if the Triangle which is liberal can be accommodating to a conservative then why can't conservative Greenville be accommodating to a liberal? It sounds like some of you would do quite well working for the local chamber of commerce.
Absolutely no hate in my post. Just stating the facts when comparing Greenville and Chapel Hill. They are not that much alike. Some people want to be around folks of similar political views and others don't care. I wasn't sure if that was a motivating factor for CoastieTX or not. Chapel Hill is a welcoming place, but it is very liberal so if that is not what they are looking for then that is something to be aware of. If they are conservative (and I don't think CoastieTX mentioned politics) but don't mind being surrounded by liberals then they would certainly be welcome here, but it's not much like Greenville in many other ways too.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,545,466 times
There is no city like Greenville, SC in NC. There is river that runs through downtown. You won't find that anywhere in NC. Greenville real estate is cheap compared to the Triangle and Chapel Hill is the most expensive.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:56 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
There is no city like Greenville, SC in NC. There is river that runs through downtown. You won't find that anywhere in NC. Greenville real estate is cheap compared to the Triangle and Chapel Hill is the most expensive.
Whoever developed that whole River concept needs to be given a bonus. That brown creek is oversold, to say the least.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:50 PM

738 posts, read 419,401 times
The 'creek', the Reedy River, is not sold at all. The waterfall is what gets hyped.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 PM

738 posts, read 419,401 times
I would say Wilmington despite being near the beach is the city in NC that has the downtown vibe most like Greenville's. It is more fun than the others in my view. It is really the only downtown in NC that I like to visit.

Somebody upthread said no NC downtown is on a river but downtown Wilmington is on a river that runs out to the ocean.

Southern Pines / Pinehurst looks pretty cool for a small town and only 1 hour from Raleigh.

You probably should just roll with Raleigh.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 04-12-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary