Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 08:14 PM

173 posts, read 315,943 times

Advertisements

I was working in Utah and loved the scenery but wanted to leave mostly because of cultural reasons, then lost my job after my company had a big layoff once Covid hit (despite Covid actually being very profitable for them, go figure). It took a while, but I recently started a new job in north Cary. It's contract-to-hire, so I can't risk buying a house right away, but assuming that it does convert (~6 months) I'll be wanting a place nearby. It's also remote to start, but I'll be operating under the assumption that they'll want me in the office once vaccines become widely available. The job will pay 120k, and I have have a few hundred thousand that I could put down.

1. How close to the north end of Cary can I get and avoid freeway/airline noise?
2. How badly impacted by Covid are the real estate prices? I'm worried about runaway price appreciation over the next 6 months, but don't want to stay in rentals for however long it takes for real estate prices to go back down to normal if I don't have to.
3. I see that HOAs are mandated in the state for new construction, but I would want to rent out extra rooms in the house I buy (long-term; not transient AirBnB stuff), probably for however long I'm still single. Are rules against this common in Cary? Is there a good resource to find out in advance. I kind of don't want to spend a real estate agent's time until I'm ready to buy.
4. How about hiking, specifically on rainy days like we've been having lately? This was my first weekend that I had some free time during, but the places that I went looked pretty muddy, and I turned back. Coming from Utah, I'm used to rocky trails where mud isn't much of a concern and ice is easily defeated with spikes.
5. One thing that I liked that was readily available in Utah was high-end single-origin chocolate. I'm aware of a few local producers like Escazu and Videri, but is there retail availability of chocolate bars from a variety of producers like you would see at some place like Caputos in Salt Lake City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 11:16 AM

4,291 posts, read 4,744,915 times
#3 No such mandate although most developers choose to institute an HOA.
#4 Your choices are beach, the low rolling hills of the Piedmont, and the NC mountains. As a general rule either the topography provides drainage or the soil will perc. Although it might seem like NC is a sea of mud to someone coming from a low-rainfall western state, that's not the case. There are swamps but they're a small part of the landscape.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:48 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
#3 No such mandate although most developers choose to institute an HOA.
#4 Your choices are beach, the low rolling hills of the Piedmont, and the NC mountains. As a general rule either the topography provides drainage or the soil will perc. Although it might seem like NC is a sea of mud to someone coming from a low-rainfall western state, that's not the case. There are swamps but they're a small part of the landscape.
I thought that there was a state law that any development over 20 units had to have a HOA?

Old 02-14-2021, 11:51 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,398,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
4. How about hiking, specifically on rainy days like we've been having lately? This was my first weekend that I had some free time during, but the places that I went looked pretty muddy, and I turned back. Coming from Utah, I'm used to rocky trails where mud isn't much of a concern and ice is easily defeated with spikes.
This is not Utah! It's not that rocky here. If it rains there will probably be mud. You can always go out on a paved greenway trail — many miles of those here.

Quote:
5. One thing that I liked that was readily available in Utah was high-end single-origin chocolate. I'm aware of a few local producers like Escazu and Videri, but is there retail availability of chocolate bars from a variety of producers like you would see at some place like Caputos in Salt Lake City?
Did you try Whole Foods? Weaver Street? Have no idea what Caputos is.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,398,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I thought that there was a state law that any development over 20 units had to have an HOA?
There is for any development of more than 20 houses built after 1999.

https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla...apter_47F.html

Old 02-14-2021, 12:21 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
You'd have to look at the by laws of any HOA you buy in but I can tell you if you buy in family friendly subdivision and have people coming and going at all hours you're not going to make a lot of friends.

Home prices here have been climbing since I moved here 10 years ago and I would not expect that to abate any time soon.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:37 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,608,602 times
Quote:
3. I see that HOAs are mandated in the state for new construction, but I would want to rent out extra rooms in the house I buy (long-term; not transient AirBnB stuff), probably for however long I'm still single. Are rules against this common in Cary? Is there a good resource to find out in advance. I kind of don't want to spend a real estate agent's time until I'm ready to buy.
I know that many HOAs have a provision in their CC&Rs that there's a maximum number of rentals that can be in the community (often around 20%), but I don't know how frequently it's enforced. In your case, the homeowner would be living there, so I don't think that restriction would apply.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:41 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I know that many HOAs have a provision in their CC&Rs that there's a maximum number of rentals that can be in the community (often around 20%), but I don't know how frequently it's enforced. In your case, the homeowner would be living there, so I don't think that restriction would apply.
Isn’t that usually only condos/townhouses?

Old 02-14-2021, 12:45 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,608,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Isn’t that usually only condos/townhouses?
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,790,728 times
The RDU noise corridors match up to my experiences pretty well. The main runways run in line with Morrisville, and then parts of West Cary gets some. Areas south of, say, Umstead, don’t really get much. And you’d have to be pretty close to hear interstate noise. I had some friends living out near North Cary Park and have sat outside on their deck for hours without having conversations interrupted from noise like I’d get when I lived off Morrisville-Carpenter.

As far as rain and trails, it is dependent on the trail. There’s places that aren’t muddy at all a day after it rains and places it stays muddy for several days. I don’t hike as much anymore (I bike a lot now),but Company Mill at Umstead was a place I used to go to often and almost never remember any serious problems after a rain. Somewhere like the loop around Bond Park, which I lived beside once, was a mess. These days I’m much more up on how wet and washed out the greenways are. Most are usually a mix, but there’s some long sections that are generally in good shape, such as the paved trail on the south side of Lake Crabtree and most of the White Oak from 55 to the end at the ATT. The paved park of the ATT is usually in great shape, and a good go-to when other places are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary