Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 03:45 PM

40 posts, read 42,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
OP:

No idea what bobspez is talking about...ignore him. Relocation isn't a zero sum game, and there are so many transplants in the Triangle (and especially Cary) that you won't have any issues fitting in or finding friendly neighbors.

I know I'll get flamed and criticized for this, so let me say up front that I am NOT saying you don't have a right to ask your question on this forum, but really, the best way to get answers to your questions is to talk to a good local realtor and tour the area with him or her. Just know that an "old" house in most parts of the Triangle (again, especially in Cary) is 30 to 50 years old. Lots of great, family friendly neighborhoods and good (to great) schools. in your budget.
I plan on talking to one as soon as I list my home for sale up here, but I just feel like I am throwing a dart blindfolded with all of these different areas I read about on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyDad View Post
Thanks but I know the family and I can handle it. We're from NJ.
Oh brother...

Hopefully “we can handle it” means being patient, driving courteously, and adapting to the generally slower pace of life down here.

I second getting a realtor. Also, explore the schools you might want for your kids.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Quote:
What the h*ll does that have to do with the anything?
Just responding to another poster's comment to me about how most people are welcoming. In my experience most people are welcoming to tourists or someone with money to spend. If you are competing for a local person's job, it's a different story. Then you're an outsider. But I wished the OP good luck. Maybe he'll be happy down south. It's not a move I would make, and I've lived in LA, SF, Seattle, Detroit, NYC, and retired to Howell, NJ. People aren't welcoming here, but they mind their own business. After a decade you may get a few hellos on the street from neighbors as you take a walk. But no one judges you either. Not your politics or your car or clothes or the condition of your yard. It's diverse, and it's live and let live. That's how I like it.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:27 PM

231 posts, read 234,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Just responding to another poster's comment to me about how most people are welcoming. In my experience most people are welcoming to tourists or someone with money to spend.
Where do you live?

Quote:
If you are competing for a local person's job, it's a different story.
OP said he'll be working remotely.

Quote:
Then you're an outsider. But I wished the OP good luck. Maybe he'll be happy down south. It's not a move I would make
Thats great, but you're not the OP.

Quote:
and I've lived in LA, SF, Seattle, Detroit, NYC, and retired to Howell, NJ.
So you haven't lived in the Triangle. Umm, ok.

Quote:
People aren't welcoming here
Cool. This is the NC Forum, not the NJ Forum

Last edited by Buxton Bagpipes; 02-17-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 04:28 PM

231 posts, read 234,248 times
Quote:
I plan on talking to one as soon as I list my home for sale up here, but I just feel like I am throwing a dart blindfolded with all of these different areas I read about on here.
Sure, I get that, but thats exactly why a realtor would be a useful resource and would be able to help you narrow down your choices and make your decision easier. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,779,658 times
OP, welcome. I'm sure you can find your happy place here. How old are your kids (aside from college age)? Your budget is "act fast regret later" so are you interested in new construction or are you ok with an older home? How old is "OLD" to you? How upgraded does it need to be?

Baseball is big here!

Old 02-17-2021, 04:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Please ignore everything Bobspez said. He does not live here as he mentioned in post #13.

There are plenty of people from NJ here, but if you get out a bit you might be able to meet some actual NC natives as well as folks who have relocated from NJ, NY, MA, CA, OH, PA and everywhere else.

Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Raleigh, all are good. Schools are county based. Do a search on WCPSS (Wake County Public School System).

Old 02-17-2021, 07:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Didn't notice it was the NC forum. It just popped up in new posts under the poster's name SouthJerseyDad looking to relocate. I've worked with people who retired to NC and are happy there. I've never known anyone who moved a family there. Hope it works out for them.
Quote:
Where do you live?

OP said he'll be working remotely.

Thats great, but you're not the OP.

So you haven't lived in the Triangle. Umm, ok.

Cool. This is the NC Forum, not the NJ Forum

Old 02-17-2021, 08:01 PM

598 posts, read 333,093 times
Quote:
- 3/4 BR
- 300-450K
- Doesn't have to be new construction - our current house was built in 1828 and personally I like the charm oof something older
- Some yard
- Close enough to shopping, restaurants etc. A HUGE plus would be walking distance
- Close access to parks, trails, etc. for outdoor activities
- Friendly neighborhoods - we have 3 kids (one is heading off to college this year so thats why we can get away with 3 BRs)
- Decent public school system
- Active rec sports leagues - I am on our local Little League Board, and if this pandemic year has proven anything to our family, it's that our younger kids need an outlet like this
The fact that you said you "like the charm of something older" with some yard may play a big part in where you'd end up. Most of the rest of what you said can generally be around in a lot of places around here.

The Triangle is full of new/newish construction neighborhoods with very tiny yards. I personally prefer an older house with a decent sized yard. Oh, and a two car garage. It's harder to find all those things around here than you might expect coming from NJ.

I think finding all that while also being walking distance to shopping and restaurants would be difficult. But in general, coming from South Jersey you would likely find the shopping and restaurant options to be plentiful in pretty much any area around here with a decent public school system.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:47 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Where in South Jersey are you coming from? You might like Hillsborough. Quaint town and lots of older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary