Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 02:32 PM

40 posts, read 42,122 times

Advertisements

I joined this board many years when my family and I were originally considering relocating. We did a lot of research back then (about 6-7 years ago) and visited the area. At that time, we had our hearts and minds set on Cary. I realize a lot has changed since then, so I want a fresh perspective.

The specific area is not as important to us as are the general appeals of the neighborhoods. I search Zillow and find that home prices are ALL over the map, and I am not knowledgeable enough to specific areas of each town down there.

Jobs are of course of the most importance, but my current job will allow me to work remotely for at least a while, and my wife has begun to send out resumes and applications. She's currently a HS teacher here in NJ - and we both realize the teachers up here are generally paid much better.

Here is the criteria:

- 3/4 BR
- 300-450K
- Doesn't have to be new construction - our current house was built in 1828 and personally I like the charm oof something older
- Some yard
- Close enough to shopping, restaurants etc. A HUGE plus would be walking distance
- Close access to parks, trails, etc. for outdoor activities
- Friendly neighborhoods - we have 3 kids (one is heading off to college this year so thats why we can get away with 3 BRs)
- Decent public school system
- Active rec sports leagues - I am on our local Little League Board, and if this pandemic year has proven anything to our family, it's that our younger kids need an outlet like this

I know that you folks on here get asked this a million times, but I've read through MANY of these threads and it can be overwhelming trying to find a match to our needs, so I thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 02:52 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Living in south Jersey near the beach you already have everything on your wish list. Why relocate to Cary NC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyDad View Post
I joined this board many years when my family and I were originally considering relocating. We did a lot of research back then (about 6-7 years ago) and visited the area. At that time, we had our hearts and minds set on Cary. I realize a lot has changed since then, so I want a fresh perspective.

The specific area is not as important to us as are the general appeals of the neighborhoods. I search Zillow and find that home prices are ALL over the map, and I am not knowledgeable enough to specific areas of each town down there.

Jobs are of course of the most importance, but my current job will allow me to work remotely for at least a while, and my wife has begun to send out resumes and applications. She's currently a HS teacher here in NJ - and we both realize the teachers up here are generally paid much better.

Here is the criteria:

- 3/4 BR
- 300-450K
- Doesn't have to be new construction - our current house was built in 1828 and personally I like the charm oof something older
- Some yard
- Close enough to shopping, restaurants etc. A HUGE plus would be walking distance
- Close access to parks, trails, etc. for outdoor activities
- Friendly neighborhoods - we have 3 kids (one is heading off to college this year so thats why we can get away with 3 BRs)
- Decent public school system
- Active rec sports leagues - I am on our local Little League Board, and if this pandemic year has proven anything to our family, it's that our younger kids need an outlet like this

I know that you folks on here get asked this a million times, but I've read through MANY of these threads and it can be overwhelming trying to find a match to our needs, so I thank you in advance!

Old 02-17-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Living in south Jersey near the beach you already have everything on your wish list. Why relocate to Cary NC?
A few reasons...

The people here are not exactly friendly, property taxes are absurd, I want to be able to enjoy outside more (yes I realize the climates are 'similar', but you guys get more warm months). I dont want to live in the same area my whole (or most of) life. This is a big country and the time is now.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:22 PM

Best of luck. I believe it may be a bit of a culture shock for you and the family. Bear in mind when you vacation somewhere you are welcome with open arms because you are brining dollars into the area. When you relocate, you are competing for the dollars that are already there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyDad View Post
A few reasons...

The people here are not exactly friendly, property taxes are absurd, I want to be able to enjoy outside more (yes I realize the climates are 'similar', but you guys get more warm months). I dont want to live in the same area my whole (or most of) life. This is a big country and the time is now.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Best of luck. I believe it may be a bit of a culture shock for you and the family. Bear in mind when you vacation somewhere you are welcome with open arms because you are brining dollars into the area. When you relocate, you are competing for the dollars that are already there.
Thanks but I know the family and I can handle it. We're from NJ.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Most people are much more welcoming than you are IME.

OP, ignore the negativity.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:39 PM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
OP:

No idea what bobspez is talking about...ignore him. Relocation isn't a zero sum game, and there are so many transplants in the Triangle (and especially Cary) that you won't have any issues fitting in or finding friendly neighbors.

I know I'll get flamed and criticized for this, so let me say up front that I am NOT saying you don't have a right to ask your question on this forum, but really, the best way to get answers to your questions is to talk to a good local realtor and tour the area with him or her. Just know that an "old" house in most parts of the Triangle (again, especially in Cary) is 30 to 50 years old. Lots of great, family friendly neighborhoods and good (to great) schools. in your budget.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Most people are much more welcoming than you are IME.

OP, ignore the negativity.
Most people could care less if you live or die unless you can put money in their pocket. That's reality. I'm sure you are no different.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:41 PM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
Quote:
Most people could care less if you live or die. That's reality. I'm sure you are no different.
What the h*ll does that have to do with the anything?

Old 02-17-2021, 03:43 PM

Yeah, a realtor is bound to give you an unbiased opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
OP:

No idea what bobspez is talking about...ignore him. Relocation isn't a zero sum game, and there are so many transplants in the Triangle (and especially Cary) that you won't have any issues fitting in or finding friendly neighbors.

I know I'll get flamed and criticized for this, so let me say up front that I am NOT saying you don't have a right to ask your question on this forum, but really, the best way to get answers to your questions is to talk to a good local realtor and tour the area with him or her. Just know that an "old" house in most parts of the Triangle (again, especially in Cary) is 30 to 50 years old. Lots of great, family friendly neighborhoods and good (to great) schools. in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary