Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 09:51 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times

Advertisements

for consideration...

$500K+ resale houses in JoCo never (since 2004) exceeded a rate of 20 sales/yr until Sept 2017. Then it doubled in 2018 & 2019. Since June 2020, it's gone nuts for some odd reason, peaking at 200/year.

And values may or may not have risen - it's certainly seasonal. Maybe 20% in a decade, but also fall back to 2008's value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 10:08 AM

1,204 posts, read 787,149 times
There is always an opportunity cost. You can cash in now, use your earnings to generate more cash some other way (put them in diversified index funds and generate safe, passive $$). Or you can wait and see what RE market is going to do. It's pretty crazy right now for sure. You can probably get away without making lots of concessions/fixes. But, who knows what happens tomorrow? I keep reading that Austin market is going nuts and people are buying million dollar houses and foregoing inspections (which is crazy!). Could that happen here? I dunno? Ask Elon Musk tweet something like "Triangle, NC" lol.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:49 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,195,997 times
To be honest, it doesn't seem like growth will slow down here. People continue to move from high cost areas, so I think inventory in established neighborhoods will always be tight. We bought for the location, because I assume that traffic will only continue to get worse for people who chose new development further out.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:11 AM

43,513 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
To be honest, it doesn't seem like growth will slow down here. People continue to move from high cost areas, so I think inventory in established neighborhoods will always be tight. We bought for the location, because I assume that traffic will only continue to get worse for people who chose new development further out.

We moved from a lower cost area, as many people do.
It was driven by economic opportunity and vastly superior climate. Those two are unchanged and still drive some migration to the area.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:43 AM

139 posts, read 551,589 times
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Very good to have more concrete factors to contribute to a change in our selling timeline:

Yes-we could stay in the alternate local property for several years. It is much smaller but also part of the retirement plan (smaller properties-one local and one coastal). Not as much room for family to gather but manageable. Needs some updating but definitely livable until we are ready to update. Long term tenant just relocated so it’s good timing there.

Yes-we would purge quite a bit. No sense to store a vacuum long term lol! Some things can be used/stored at the other property-others would have to be stored for future home. I kind of have a formula that includes cost to replace, age of item, cost to store, secondhand worth, etc all included. And throw in sentimental a little. I know I will have long term storage costs.

Yes-profits would be definitely be reinvested. Although I fully expect DH to begin a robust search for his new property-it will be his fishing headquarters

Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 PM

425 posts, read 423,570 times
If someone decides now, to cash out and grab their tax-free gains on a principal residence ... I say there's no shame in renting, if you *like* having no yard to maintain, and you *want* someone else to fix the plumbing and HVAC. Renting is still cheaper than owning, if you are comfortable in a smaller space and won't miss those extra rooms to heat and furnish.

It's perhaps even easier to deal with difficult neighbors in an apartment complex. Just switch to another unit and let some new tenant endure your old problems. None of the complex paperwork or stress and drama that comes with a home sale.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:04 PM

61 posts, read 51,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
for consideration...

$500K+ resale houses in JoCo never (since 2004) exceeded a rate of 20 sales/yr until Sept 2017. Then it doubled in 2018 & 2019. Since June 2020, it's gone nuts for some odd reason, peaking at 200/year.

And values may or may not have risen - it's certainly seasonal. Maybe 20% in a decade, but also fall back to 2008's value
Most of my neighbors out here in JoCo are "real estate refugees" who either couldn't afford or refused to pay the prices in the Cary-Apex area.

The 40 and 540 projects currently underway will make getting to the rest of the Raleigh metro area fairly quick, and we expect house/land value to go up substantially when those two things are finished. There is a ton of development going in out here, clearly in anticipation of the new toll road.

Add low interest rates and pandemic cabin fever to the mix, a big house in JoCo sounds like a great idea.

But I'm in OP's boat. We know we wanna move in about 5 years, but are wondering if we'd make more money selling now while inventory is nearly zip in our price/size category.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 2,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfortytwo View Post
Most of my neighbors out here in JoCo are "real estate refugees" who either couldn't afford or refused to pay the prices in the Cary-Apex area.

The 40 and 540 projects currently underway will make getting to the rest of the Raleigh metro area fairly quick, and we expect house/land value to go up substantially when those two things are finished. There is a ton of development going in out here, clearly in anticipation of the new toll road.

Add low interest rates and pandemic cabin fever to the mix, a big house in JoCo sounds like a great idea.

But I'm in OP's boat. We know we wanna move in about 5 years, but are wondering if we'd make more money selling now while inventory is nearly zip in our price/size category.

Will the 540 completion really make that big of a difference in real estate value? I'm genuinely curious about what the crystal ball predicts on that.
If so, why not wait until it's finished at least by the 70 bypass ( I think in a couple of years right?) before selling?

Old 02-20-2021, 02:02 PM

139 posts, read 551,589 times
Somehow my last post was cut short. I think we will test the waters-nothing to lose right? Shoot for the moon. House paid for and don’t have to sell-might as well see what happens! Neighbor just went under contract in 2 days for $20 sq ft more that houses went for 6 months ago. I wonder if that will appraise?

Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times
What's getting WORSE in Clayton/JoCo in the next 90 days?

What's going to look better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary